The Great Power Cable Survey of 2019

3 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

amphenol and the switchcraft 3502

Very nice looking connector set.

Makes me want to build a set based on what you are saying wouldn't cost much at all. 

That's the good thing about having a soldering iron and some reading glasses !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

The Neutrik XLR are awesome too, well price and are designed to be out on the road...  

Sure are and there is another cable, made quite a lot of XLR cables with this. Neutrik only these days but I could try some others as suggested

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-ft-16-AWG-Shielded-Silver-Plated-Polyimide-Film-Kapton-Wire-Twisted-Pair-SPC-/383183022419?hash=item59377ce953

Guest rmpfyf

1) Do you believe in using upgraded power cables for all you audio products. YES / NO

2) Do you make your own cables YES / NO

a) Favourite brands of parts    

i) Cables many

ii) Connectors Clipsal

3) Do you use the same brand / type of cables throughout yours system YES / NO

4) Do you have a favourite brand of cable  YES/ NO.   Brand / Type /  List Up to 3 names or use web links if eBay generic shop cables but try to name etc 

I)

ii)

iii)

5) Price ranges of cables in your system  

a )Free. 

b )Upto 20 Aus Dollars

c) Upto 100 Aus Dollars

d )500- 1000 Aud Dollars

e )1000- 5000 Aud Dollars

f) 5000+

6) Comments on power cables

Shield smart - it can get noisy downstream of your GPO

Don't underestimate contact area and good earthing

Quality of connection at both ends counts - esoteric stuff belongs at the device end not at the wall, wall kit can be made from standard fare parts very well

Iso trans and other conditioning are where power distribution should be built into, avoid multiple connections

This needn't be expensive - shouldn't be

Plenty of scope to spend money on 'audiophile' solutions and make things worse

If you're spending more than $200 you're probably doing it wrong (sorry)

Don't be silly - use a sparkie

7) Success stores for others to learn from.

Never underestimate the potential of an IEC lead that's lived it's formative years connecting a server to mains - usually pretty good

On 29/09/2019 at 7:47 PM, Eagleeyes said:

1) Do you believe in using upgraded power cables for all you audio products.

No. I believe in engineering.

On 29/09/2019 at 10:17 PM, Ittaku said:

2) Do you make your own cables

No.

3) Do you use the same brand / type of cables throughout yours system

Yes. Generic.

4) Do you have a favourite brand of cable

Yes. Generic.

Close to zero. Mainly came with the gear they're powering, or they're free ones I've scabbed form somewhere.

Don't waste your money on aftermarket power cables. There is no empirical evidence they make any audible difference.

7) Success stores for others to learn from.

See previous answer.

QUESTIONS

NO    1) Do you believe in using upgraded power cables for all you audio products. YES / NO

NO    2) Do you make your own cables YES / NO

NO    3) Do you use the same brand / type of cables throughout yours system YES / NO

NO    4) Do you have a favourite brand of cable  YES/ NO. 

C       5) Price ranges of cables in your system  a )Free.  b )Upto 20 Aus Dollars c) Upto 100 Aus Dollars

Cables should be well manufactured and std. compliant

On 29/09/2019 at 10:17 PM, Ittaku said:

Do you believe in using upgraded power cables for all you audio products. YES / NO

i)

ii)

4) Do you have a favourite brand of cable  YES/ NO.   Brand / Type /  List Up to 3 names or use web links if eBay generic shop cables but try to name etc 

I)

ii)

iii)

a )Free. 

b )Upto 20 Aus Dollars

c) Upto 100 Aus Dollars

d )500- 1000 Aud Dollars total

e )1000- 5000 Aud Dollars

f) 5000+

Don't be fooled

7) Success stores for others to learn from.

Spend more money on electronics instead. $1000 more on electronics can never be made up for with even $50,000 worth of cables

I agree with your opinion, and I find it very interesting considering you have a very fine system. 

Your response:

So do you use different gauges for amps and source?

Edited by was_a

57 minutes ago, was_a said:

I'm interested in your response, considering your very fine system. Particularly this response:

What cables up to $100 do you use then? Obviously they're a step up from the ones at the hardware store. And do you use different gauges for amps and source?

I had used audio principe shielded power cables previously as my preamp needed the shielding or was prone to picking up hum. I guess they've gone up and are just over $100 now at $129. That hum problem has been resolved with an updated preamp, and I've also got a mix of the freebie cables that came with the other devices in use.  Since then I've purchased some 20A cables for my power amps - generic ones I bought from ebay for $20 each. These were to match the fact I had extra power points installed in my listening room and chose to make them 20A outlets. Neither the house rewiring with dedicated lines and sockets, nor the power cables have ever made an audible difference. Only the shielded cable made a difference when my previous preamp used to pick up hum.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1

Ok, I will bite on this one.... 

1) Do you believe in using upgraded power cables for all you audio products. YES / NO

i) Cables 

ii) Connectors

4) Do you have a favourite brand of cable  YES/ NO.   Brand / Type /  List Up to 3 names or use web links if eBay generic shop cables but try to name etc 

ZU Audio

Up to 200 Aus Dollars (Only one is that expensive, the rest under $120)

6) I have only tried Zu power cables and generic ones, and there is a noticeable difference. To my wife, to strangers, to unsuspecting musical friends over for dinner. I purchased them originally on Ebay, and then last year again a few more purchases. I do not have infinite money to spend on cables, but willing to experiment. I have a buddy with a very nice system, planar speakers etc, and when I replaced the power cable to his CD player, there was a noticeable but small increase in low end and soundstage ... he was flabbergasted as he made his power cable himself. Also he is an audio professional. 

7) Success stores: My attitude is try it and if it is better, keep it in the system. I had the opportunity a few years ago to borrow some Equipment for a few weeks, mainly to test my own system. Musical Fidelity amp and pre, with heaps of Van  rca + generic power cables, and was impressed that this system was a bit "thin" on sound. The cables contributed I reckon. I switched cables both rca and power cables from my system around, and concluded this. Shielding/impedance/contacts all make a noticeable difference. And as many agree, it can be extremely dependent on "System Synergy". Experiment away I say. Have fun and Enjoy the music. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

1) Do you believe in using upgraded power cables for all you audio products.    NO

2) Do you make your own (power) cables  NO

3) Do you use the same brand / type of cables throughout yours system YES = "cheap+nasty"

4) Do you have a favourite brand of cable  YES

Brand / Type /  List Up to 3 names or use web links if eBay generic shop cables but try to name etc 

I)  "cheap+nasty"

a ) Free. 

b ) Up to 20 Aus Dollars?

>> I can't see how a power cable can make a difference (so long as it's adequate for the job).  However, I will admit that I haven't actually auditioned any fancy power cables with blind testing.  I am open to being proven wrong though, but don't expect to be.  If a power cable could be made for $30 that produces a significant improvement to my components, I'd be making them. 

7) Success stories for others to learn from.

You will need to ask other's about this.  As far as my experience goes, I've been having great success with what comes in the box with the device.

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

[copied from my response to the duplicate posting of this thread]

1) Do you believe in using upgraded power cables for all you audio products.    NO

2) Do you make your own (power) cables  NO

3) Do you use the same brand / type of (power) cables throughout yours system YES = "cheap+nasty"

4) Do you have a favourite brand of (power) cable  YES

Brand / Type /  List Up to 3 names or use web links if eBay generic shop cables but try to name etc 

I)  "cheap+nasty"

5) Price ranges of (power) cables in your system  

a ) Free. 

b ) Up to 20 Aus Dollars?

>> I can't see how a power cable can make a difference (so long as it's adequate for the job).  However, I will admit that I haven't actually auditioned any fancy power cables with blind testing.  I am open to being proven wrong though, but don't expect to be.  If a power cable could be made for $30 that produces a significant improvement to my components, I'd be making them. 

7) Success stories (regarding power cables) for others to learn from.

You will need to ask other's about this.  As far as my experience goes, I've been having great success with what comes in the box with the device.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...This if successful could be the basis for an inter connect cable and or speaker cables survey too...

I think these surveys could be interesting, I look forward to their creation (unless I've already missed them!).

(from what has emerged in this thread you will need to be pedantically specific to clarify in each question if it's interconnect or speaker cables you're referring to ? )

• 4 months later...

1.  Yes I think cables are important.

2.  I don't make them

3.  don't have all same, have a selection.  I enjoy the reviews and the hype.  I enjoy listening to different gear and what it does (if anything).  I'm coming from generic power cords in a very noisy city location with some quite resolving gear. 

4.   favourite would have to be a MIT AC1 Magnum I got from a fellow SNAer for $425 bucks.  It is a few years old.  Has noise cancelling on it and I plugged it into my amp and it radically altered what I heard.  for the better.  I've put a lot of money into my Digital front end and with zero noise management the few dollars I spent on it really returned something to my ears.

5.  $0 to $2,000 AUD

6.  Nobody wants this to be true but listen to it and it is true - power cables make all the difference in the world.  Try a Shunyata cable.  Very straight forward product that does what it says it does.  Isotek Evo3 Premier for that matter.

7.  see MIT story above.  If you don't have any noise cancellation in your system one cord with such installed between wall and power strip can make a very big difference.  great bass.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will add here, based on my recent experience, if anyone wonders if it makes much of a difference, get a ps8 and a feeder cord from shunyata like the v10 NR.  just a basic american ps8 power strip and that cord will, unless you are already running a several thousand dollar power conditioner, knock your socks off and make you regret each day you've been without it.  if you've got thousands in your setup, try this ~ 2k thing and be amazed!

I use the generic power cables that are supplied with the gear.   I make sure the connections are 1st rate and in a condition that’s safe to use.. 

I don’t believe power cables no matter how many thousands of $$$ will impact the SQ....  you’re better off spending $$ elsewhere where it will make a difference... in most audio equipment With a linear supply which is 95% of the case will have a transformer that isolates the mains from the supply caps...  it’s the supply caps that determines the SQ, replace them and you’ll most likely experience a difference in SQ.   But if you decide to go down this rabbit hole, it’s fine with me, not my money! ?

• Like 2

On 29/09/2019 at 8:17 PM, Ittaku said:

Spend more money on electronics instead. $1000 more on electronics can never be made up for with even $50,000 worth of cables

Serious question – I am interested to know if you have, or know of anyone that has made this comparison between impact of $1,000 electronic upgrade versus $50,000 worth of cables ?

5 hours ago, Aperalim said:

Serious question – I am interested to know if you have, or know of anyone that has made this comparison between impact of $1,000 electronic upgrade versus $50,000 worth of cables ?

With power cables, which this thread is about, I've done the comparison up to about $5000 (nordost valhalla or something it was called.) As they sounded the same as $5 , $100, and $1000 power cables to me it has confirmed that power cables make no audible difference and therefore going further will continue to not make any difference. Spending anything on electronics is better than that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aperalim said:

Hey Chris, is your inbox full? Im trying to PM you

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

With power cables, which this thread is about, I've done the comparison up to about $5000 (nordost valhalla or something it was called.) As they sounded the same as $5 , $100, and $1000 power cables to me it has confirmed that power cables make no audible difference and therefore going further will continue to not make any difference. Spending anything on electronics is better than that.

OK thanks.

I am intrigued that you could hear no difference between a $5 power cable and a $5000 power cable in your system.

• Like 1