Sign in to follow this  
bjs

Amps for Audio physic classic 30

On 01/10/2019 at 8:55 AM, Pops110 said:

There are always some decent valve preamps come up. Not sure if this is still available?

This is still available! Don't know why someone hasn't snapped it up yet, pretty good price for what it is.  Thanks @Pops110

Yep seems like great buying. From what I’ve heard Canary makes great sounding gear.

On 01/10/2019 at 11:15 AM, Pops110 said:

I’m not sure, sorry mate. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in on that one. 

@Ihearmusic do you think it would be possible to modify the Primaluna Prologue to use just as a preamp?

Cheers Dave 

Not really feasible. Even if you would furnish the unit with a preamp output (has been done before) you might end up with way to much gain. ( The drive stage is set up to drive output valves)

Best to sell it and invest in a nice preamp.

Thanks for the info. I've begun to look into preamps to pair with the Musical fidelity a5cr power amp. Looking at tubes. Also looking at the new musical fidelity preamps but they seem a bit expensive.

Have you got the preamp yet mate? Be keen to hear your thoughts when you get it all setup.

I ended up buying a Primaluna prologue premium preamp. It only arrived today. I have not really tried it yet. Also having issues with my source, either the streamer or the DAC. I suspect it's the DAC.

I'm thinking of putting the word out to see if there's anyone in the st Kilda area who'd be willing to help set it all up (speaker positioning) and diagnose my source problem.

I did hear that you may have got a new pre 😉

What issues are you having and what are you using for source and dac? Also what are your room dimensions?

Mine are approximately 450mm from the back and side walls and 2400mm apart. If you try the seating position roughly so it’s an equilateral triangle and slowly adjust from there. They are slightly toed in, would probably cross about a metre behind my head.

Hopefully this helps a little and someone might be able to pop round and give you a hand. 

I'm running a Digi hat raspberry pi streamer and Chromecast audio into musical fidelity M1DacA.

Thanks for the tips on speaker placement. I will give it a go this weekend.

Just an update to close off this discussion. I ended up pairing a Primaluna Prologue Premium preamp (should be a singer's warm-up phrase!) with a Musical Fidelity A5CR power amp, both sourced through this website. Additionally, I added a Gieseler Klein III DAC with upgraded Kraftwerk power supply. This was to upgrade from the Musical Fidelity M1DAC-A. I feed a Chromecast Audio into the DAC and use it to stream both network music and Google Play Music. The result is a phenomenal sound. I am still playing around with speaker placement, but am very happy and am rediscovering a lot of old music.

Thanks again for all the help. This is a great community.

That’s good news mate. Maybe chuck some pics up here or in the “My System Today “ thread. I’m sure lots of people be keen to check it out. 👍

Here it is.IMG_20191103_154047.jpeg

Very nice mate, the photo makes the speakers look small, but they are quite tall and deep. The artwork looks pretty cool.

I would try bringing them out a touch from the back wall. Looking good mate.

Unfortunately, if I bring them out further they get in the way of the door to the room which is to the right of the photo. Not much I can do on that front.

The artwork makes the speakers look small because it is is at least 2m wide itself. It is by a Japanese artist who makes woodcuts out of his digital photographs and them makes prints with oil on paper. http://www.katsutoshiyuasa.com/ it's the feature, even the Classic 30s come in second and they're phenomenal.

This is a closer shot but still doesn't show how deep they are.41.jpeg

12 minutes ago, bjs said:

Unfortunately, if I bring them out further they get in the way of the door to the room which is to the right of the photo. Not much I can do on that front.

The artwork makes the speakers look small because it is is at least 2m wide itself. It is by a Japanese artist who makes woodcuts out of his digital photographs and them makes prints with oil on paper. http://www.katsutoshiyuasa.com/ it's the feature, even the Classic 30s come in second and they're phenomenal.

Very cool mate. His works are amazing, very impressive.