Sign in to follow this  
Tiwiliger

Pioneer VSX-1131...is it worth upgrading?

I currently have a Pioneer VSX-1131. My current speaker set is a complete Yamaha Soavo 5.1.2 package. My main question is, given that I don't listen to movies at high volume levels (kids asleep at that time usually so have to keep it reasonable) and always turn off any audio processing so the sound is played directly (MCACC seems to make it sound terrible), will I notice any sound improvements upgrading to a higher end Yamaha/Marantz/Denon receiver? Just contemplating whether its worth saving up. Thanks

Edited by Tiwiliger

no

you dont listen loud, you dont use the auto set up features so no point spending more to do the same imo

Edited by hopefullguy

12 hours ago, Tiwiliger said:

I currently have a Pioneer VSX-1131. My current speaker set is a complete Yamaha Soavo 5.1.2 package. My main question is, given that I don't listen to movies at high volume levels (kids asleep at that time usually so have to keep it reasonable) and always turn off any audio processing so the sound is played directly (MCACC seems to make it sound terrible), will I notice any sound improvements upgrading to a higher end Yamaha/Marantz/Denon receiver? Just contemplating whether its worth saving up. Thanks

If you run MCACC correctly it should improve SQ most of the time. 

Did you follow the User Manual instructions properly regarding microphone placement?

Always beneficial to fine tune afterwards anyway.

Usually all speakers set to "small" and crossover to sub(s) at 80Hz works pretty well.

You can also apply manual adjustment of SPL's and delays (distances) to taste.

Can still choose "Direct" but have a listen with MCACC "on" and "off".

Seems unusual that a properly run MCACC would sound worse. 

Edited by JohnL

I thought it would improve it as well but with MCACC on it would sound lifeless, it has to be noted that it is the basic version of MCACC. I followed instructions precisely and didn't make any improvements. Not to mention it would make a mess of the large/small speaker settings and the distances were hit and miss. In the end i set up all distances manually and have all speakers set to small with sound processing set to direct.

As it stands, it sounds fine, but i'm curious as to whether I would get a noticeable improvement upgrading to a high end receiver? (I would actually use Audyssey/Dirac if it made it sound better).

of course your MCACC could have a fault.. but not usually.

if you want to try a different avr/auto set up then look for a higher level 2nd hand avr or a refurbished unit from excel hifi. that way if you try it and you really cant find much difference you can sell the unit with not much loss. then you will know it is something other than the MCACC.

i always prefer to "know" and have it cost me a little than be left wondering. each to their own though.