FIRST LOOK: LG SIGNATURE 88” 8K OLED TV

• Administrator
14 hours ago, metal beat said:

Marc

have you ordered one? :)

Negative, we have asked to review one though :) The response was a little laugh, not sure what that meant? :)

12 hours ago, cwt said:

Ide love to know of any dead pixel replacement warranty with this model :)

Me too!

39 minutes ago, Stump said:

All I need is 8K eyes and I will get one....

Stump

Even if I had 8k eyes, I would need a job that pays enough for me to afford a 60k telly, which would be self defeating as in my experience, I would probably always be at work. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 28/09/2019 at 8:45 AM, Marc said:

Negative, we have asked to review one though :) The response was a little laugh, not sure what that meant? :)

Me too!

I suspect the laugh was for two reasons.

Firstly that the TV is more like a 'Concept Car' at a car show, and they are not expecting to sell any, or very very few, and in reality it's more a PR showing of what LG is thinking in future products, so why would they give it to somebody to review.

The second reason might of been a bit of misplaced smugness by the person that gave the little laugh.

They probably wouldn't have realized that a review by Stereo.net would have been a very thorough affair done by Tony, not some simplified eyeballed general appraisal buy a journalist.

I find it intriguing that LG, Panasonic and Sony for that matter [Not that surprising since Sony uses LG panels], have not as yet joined the 8K association, which was formed in Jan this year.

https://8kassociation.com/8k-association-announces-performance-specification-for-consumer-tvs/

A ratification of 8K spec's is needed before 8K becomes more than just PR hype in the minds of the buying public, we all know the confusion that happened when 4K first made a appearance, the sooner they sort some solid spec's that everyone complies with the better.

It's getting there, but without the 3 major players above being involved it does make you wonder why they are hesitant to be part of it.

• Like 3

Progress is funny.

I recall being at the Royal Children’s in Melbourne in the Emerg dept in maybe 2000 or there abouts (can’t quite remember).  A huge (read maybe 50”) flat panel thing had been donated for use tracking patient movements as well as displaying various medical stuff.  I’d never seen a non-CRT flat TV before.  We were all blown away.  I’m pretty sure at the time it was about 35k?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Progress is funny.

I recall being at the Royal Children’s in Melbourne in the Emerg dept in maybe 2000 or there abouts (can’t quite remember).  A huge (read maybe 50”) flat panel thing had been donated for use tracking patient movements as well as displaying various medical stuff.  I’d never seen a non-CRT flat TV before.  We were all blown away.  I’m pretty sure at the time it was about 35k?

I also remember a 42" plasma, a pro version back in the day being used to demo what was to come as high definition. pretty sure it was a demo by channel ten back then and yes it was about $40k. Only things existed at the time for tellys was either CRT tube TVs or rear projection TVs. I remember the crowd around it oogling how it was like looking through a window... we never ever got to see high definition TV of its clarity ever... given the compression and bit rate squeezed picture we eventually ended up with via broadcast..... am pretty sure the plasma was only 1080i resolution (all was needed for 1080i broadcast HD) let alone 1080p that followed in years to come. 

On 28/09/2019 at 11:23 AM, Darren69 said:

Even if I had 8k eyes, I would need a job that pays enough for me to afford a 60k telly, which would be self defeating as in my experience, I would probably always be at work. ?

Well. If you're Lucky enough just need 1 Ball to change it all ( POWERBALL) 60k TV is 60cent TV + u don't have to work & watching 8K TV all day every day for the rest your life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1