Tough review of PS Audio DS

On 29/09/2019 at 3:24 PM, Tobes said:

I think it's fair to note that the DS dac met it's SINAD specs.

S/N ratio is way overstated by PS Audio. They claim 144 DB where as the measurements come in at 75.5  DB which is the worst performing DAC that they measured.  The 144 DB looks like it is a theoretical number- something we see way too often these days.   

But I agree measurements don't tell the full story and measurements  don't exist for some of the qualities we listen for. 

5 minutes ago, Tasso said:

S/N ratio is way overstated by PS Audio. They claim 144 DB where as the measurements come in at 75.5  DB which is the worst performing DAC that they measured.  The 144 DB looks like it is a theoretical number- something we see way too often these days.  

Yeah, 144dB is the theoretical maximum dynamic range of 24 bits. MSB claim the same so I wonder how theirs measure...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Thanks,

I'm leaning to a streaming integrated too. Hegel H390. Coming soon so hopefully can demo. I like the looks and the Roon integration.

If going separates, I was considering an Elektra pre. So does Moon beat it just on sound, or are they close but the features and simpler setup of the Moon make it the winner?

With my Spatials the Elektra pre had too much gain resulting in difficult volume control otherwise I would not have changed. Having said that, I don't think I'm missing out sound wise. The features and minimised box count were what I was after whilst fixing the gain incompatibility with new high efficiency speakers. I considered a Hegel but home demo was difficult and was steered towards the feature list of the Neo ACE with MM phono input as well, it now also has Roon, Quboz MQA etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a PSA dac, transport, and preamp- the best my system has sounded. I'm now selling my Audio research and musical fidelity and pass Labs gear- all great products in their own right, but just couldn't get them to synergise.

Don't worry too much about specs, the sound is what's most important. I've had great specs sound crap and vice versa.

Just my 2c

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

That's impressive. Those distortion and linearity abnormalities are high enough that they're well into the audible range. Then again, it's probably intentional to some degree, and responsible for the whole PS Audio "sound."

Edited by Ittaku

Guest Muon N'

Natural sounding will be differently perceived by each individual, same goes for the term neutral.

Edit: IMO of course :)

Edited by Muon N'

• 4 weeks later...

I personally find the ASR reviews to be pretty balanced  and have bought a couple of components based on them 

Some people just get their noses out of joint when they find their expensive component measures like a piece of crap and cant handle it blaming the reviewer for not listening to it correctly or some rubbish 

A good component should both sound and measure well ,Price is not always relevant