Sign in to follow this  
Hergest

Cassette Storage

problem I've found as the years go by is trying to find decent storage for my ever growing collection of cassettes. I managed to pick up an unopened one of these this week which will tidy stuff up a bit but most of what is available is often worn out and cracked and looks worse than the 40 year old stuff I've got.

1488504621_Tapestorage.jpg.17febc0810f81be738dfafc99e8e60fb.jpg

I'd love to have the woodworking skills to be able to make some really good looking storage but I don't and I reckon talking to a professional woodworker would make things prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone know of a place selling new storage so everything is the same rather than mix and match as I have now? I know you can get rough sized stuff that tapes will fit in from places like Howard's Storage but I'm after dedicated, properly designed for cassette drawers or racks.

'

The best storage for them is a permanent one

Image result for garbage dump

Return hiss and white noise to the rest of the universe dark energy. 

I bought 4 of the 3-drawer Blackline brand ones back when they were still available new. 

They're great because they're a bit deeper and hold 45 (IIRC) tapes per unit.  Stopped collecting not too long after that and they remain a part of my garage system along with the Yammy KX-500A deck.

Aside from a custom solution, I would suggest setting up and saving a couple of searches on ebay, gumtree, etc. with notifications enabled.

e.g. Search on 'cassette storage' and 'cassette drawers' (2 separate searches) in All categories (because people will list things like this under various categories), within ?km of your postcode. 

You might need to be patient, but could be surprised by what turns up.  I found a couple of the Blackline CD drawer units this way.

Checking any op shops that you happen to pass might also bear fruit.

I must admit I did cull my collection a few years back.  Set up the cassette deck (cleaned, demagnetized and aligned) and my A.R.T. USB Dual-Pre on the computer desk for a couple of months and digitized a lot of them.  Then got rid of a couple of dozen to bring the collection down to what would fit in my drawers.

The A.R.T. USB Dual-Pre served as an external sound card for the Analogue to Digital Conversion.  Using the computer's sound card for this usually results in noise being added to the analogue signal before the conversion is done.  Really happy with the results.

I agree, gumtree, ebay and op shops are probably the only source of these now.

All my cassettes are in large sturdy carboard boxes, except for a few special tapes which are in the briefcase-style cases.  I didn't really like the drawer-style storage, as they didn't store the tapes efficiently.  When tapes were king, I did have a few of them though, one was mounted under my hifi table for easy access to tapes of interest.