Sign in to follow this  
Kosmic

Is This the Mother of All Integrated Amplifiers?

BTW, I don't know how much the Vitus MP-1201 Integrated costs....my guess is above $80K, but it might well be much more than that.

2 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Well being able to move it around on my own without hurting myself is what I consider a luxury, don't you?

Computers are getting smaller and lighter but when it comes to truly "high end" audio products it seems they have to weigh enough to kill you to be taken seriously.

Sure, it might even have a thin layer of concrete underneath all that tech.:)

1 hour ago, Kosmic said:

Sure, it might even have a thin layer of concrete underneath all that tech.:)

No, it's a Vitus so the extra weight will be fancier than concrete.  Maybe depleted uranium plates for the underside?

It of course it has to be Audiophile grade concrete.

l can arrange for the reo to be gold plated and alingned.

regards Bruce

2 hours ago, Kosmic said:

I say good on them, because without the cutting edge development (R&D)

What R&D? It's just another big A/B amp

Double post.

Edited by A9X
Double post

51 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Maybe depleted uranium plates for the underside?

Then it won't be sold in Australia.

14 minutes ago, A9X said:

Then it won't be sold in Australia.

We would have supplied the uranium though...

2 hours ago, A9X said:

Apart from it being able to impress some people, why would anyone want one?

A number of reasons  ☺️

Security. Imagine some poor bugger trying to make off with it in the middle of the night. They'd need a team of wild stallions, forklifts, delivery van, safety vehicle, first aid officers, WHS supervisors, valuers, an advisory committee or two, etc etc all on hand to do their bit. Nah - too hard. Just leave it.

Versatility. It could double as a coffee table, work bench, drink warmer, piece de art, etc. Perhaps later a burial urn so you really can take it with you..

Status. Just imagine the endless nights of deep and meaningful conversations with friends, neighbours, long-lost relatives, any number of snob magazines, and rent-a-crowd. 'Yes, well it only set me back about 100K - just too good to refuse...  And it plays music too, I think..' You could even claim it was a secret bit of international spy equipment that 007 left with you, or something the guys on Apollo 11 brought back with them, or a relic from Raiders of the Lost Ark, maybe... Who'd know?

Tax offset... Claim it as part of your negative gearing program. Who cares why - be creative (everyone else is..). You need it to run the even more mega expensive speakers you bought as part of your professional development as an audiologist. You work at the CSIRO doing your thesis on the mating calls of gnats, and headphones just don't cut it. Hey - you're a contributing editor to SNA and need a decent system to assess sponsor's gear! Don't forget to claim on power consumption, the ancillary equipment, installation of a new room and cabling - who knows where you could end up?  (Probably in jail - but there's worse things in life...)

Quality. It might even sound good?

Hmmm, on second thoughts I'll just go back to reading that Len Wallis advert for the $125k Halcro. I bet they don't weigh 126kgs though: bloody cheapskates..

1 minute ago, acg said:

We would have supplied the uranium though.

If the Govt wouldn't let the Army buy the M1 Abrams with DU armour, then they're not going to let you get an amp with it in the chassis.

2 hours ago, Satanica said:

Well being able to move it around on my own without hurting myself is what I consider a luxury, don't you?

Computers are getting smaller and lighter but when it comes to truly "high end" audio products it seems they have to weigh enough to kill a person to be taken seriously.

Well, if everything is getting smaller and lighter then the luxury item is probably the opposite of that....either much smaller, or much shinier, or much more massive and expensive...seems to be how that works.

1 hour ago, Cafad said:

No, it's a Vitus so the extra weight will be fancier than concrete.  Maybe depleted uranium plates for the underside?

It wouldnt go up in a puff of smoke if it fails it would take out the city with a mushroom cloud.

regards Bruce

looks far too normal to be trusted 

even with his whole Mono Lisa smile thing going on

L1060062.jpg?w=1560%26ssl=1&key=9760125e

35 minutes ago, wasabijim said:

his whole Mono Lisa

Lisa has Mono? Poor dear.

18 hours ago, Kosmic said:

BTW, I don't know how much the Vitus MP-1201 Integrated costs....my guess is above $80K, but it might well be much more than that.

Price guess? A new luxury benchmark might be to cost it per kg...

Maybe $1k per kg = $126K?

Edited by davm