Roon discount code.

Yamaha_man

On 05/11/2019 at 6:47 AM, Bails said:

I went for a one year room subscription. I really like the product but 'lifetime' seems a bit risky given the pace of change in the streaming world.

To be fair, it’s not like you’re signing over your mortgage papers to Roon.

3 minutes ago, MattyW said:

10% isn't bad as $700 US is currently $1,057 AUD. Basically cuts $100 off the price. Still a lot of money for a bit of software though.

And not too hard to organise so why wouldnt you

can a paying subscriber login and see if the 10% discount on gifting 3 packs still applies?  i've been told it doesn't, ever since the november 2019 lifetime price rise

they are phasing out lifetime and eventually moving to subscription only (COO says so here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lifetime-price-increase-499-699/84339), so i wouldn't be surprised if they ditched the 10% deal too.

Edited by fanclub

8 hours ago, fanclub said:

can a paying subscriber login and see if the 10% discount on gifting 3 packs still applies?  i've been told it doesn't, ever since the november 2019 lifetime price rise

they are phasing out lifetime and eventually moving to subscription only (COO says so here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lifetime-price-increase-499-699/84339), so i wouldn't be surprised if they ditched the 10% deal too.

I checked before I posted, still there

if you are an annual subscriber or maybe even free trialer (not 100% sure)  you can buy it for yourself and others and  any membership remaining on your annual sub is refunded. You just need to contact them directly to do that. I did that,  it was a simple process.

my auto renewing annual subscription did not auto renew. It may have been on a now expired card but I contacted them about it. Took 2 days for a reply asking for my user email and I haven't heard back for a week now. So their not exactly falling over themselves to fix the issue. I don't really want to go through the hassle of setting up a new membership so will give them another couple of days to sort out.

On 07/03/2020 at 1:00 AM, fanclub said:

That's a particularly transparent explanation of their pricing philosophy and makes perfect sense.

I recall, forty or so years ago, a health club in Perth started up a lifetime membership scheme, something like $500 each. Now that was a LARGE sum of money back then. Like many others I signed up, and also took the finance option. After a couple of years I went and lived in the UK for three years. When I came back I just strolled in with my membership card and enjoyed, yet again, the facilities. Trouble was, all of those lifetime memberships had amounted to a huge number of non-paying (on a daily/weekly/monthly basis) users of club facilities and resources, which continued to attract the costs involved in providing them. It all got too much in the end and as a consequence of this, and most likely other, poor decision(s), they went broke.

In the aftermath there were still people trying to wring blood from a stone for years afterwards. I wasn't among them, having written it all off to experience.

A friend of mine's brother had worked there for a while as he was a trained physical educator, but he left because he said it became nothing but a selling exercise.

I have just signed up to Roon,so, a reasonable amount of money every year, or a larger, more substantial investment for life (mine or theirs, I wonder)? I wonder which way I will jump?

Just a heads up, I've just signed up for 12 months and I can't see any mention of discounted 3 packs either under the upgrade or gifting options.

Could be me looking in the wrong place or been logged in on mobile.

I ended up moving to Audiervana n the weekend. I much prefer the interface to JRiver and sound quality appears better as well. Does everything I need it to and I like the simplicity of its interface. A lifetime license is the cost of a months Roon subscription. A win win for me  :)

On 05/03/2020 at 9:48 PM, MattyW said:

10% isn't bad as $700 US is currently $1,057 AUD. Basically cuts $100 off the price. Still a lot of money for a bit of software though.

not just software.... you get a subscription to a database that is updated continuously and there are no update fees for the software.To compare : Office 365 business premium is nearly aud200 per year with no end.

24 minutes ago, Toyboyo said:

not just software.... you get a subscription to a database that is updated continuously and there are no update fees for the software.To compare : Office 365 business premium is nearly aud200 per year with no end.

Yup, which is why I stick with LibreOffice at home 

On 20/03/2020 at 11:51 PM, Toyboyo said:

To compare : Office 365 business premium is nearly aud200 per year with no end

Understand the intent in making this comparision but they are really apples and oranges.

Business Productivity ($$$) vs Hobbyist Software. I may still bite the Roon bullet until I find an alternative...but lifetime subscription seems like a far cry for it's worth - time will tell for sure if someone can catch up.

Putting my business hat on and among many other items here are the building blocks as I see them:

1. A couple of smart Graphic Designers (UI/UX) & developers to enhance the Mobile App and Core
  2. All the music codec's money can buy/source
  3. APIs and licenses to integrate with other music sources (really only Tidal and iTunes) and end points (music streamers)
  4. USB/Network drivers to access LAN music sources (PC, NAS etc.)
  5.  Artificial Intelligence software (algorithms) to use metadata and source similar music - lots of workflows and learning algorithms to be continuously managed
  6.  Smart marketing cookies/evangelists to promote the product (HiFi shows, equipment product vendors etc.)

jriver is jobbyist software

Roon is an ipod or an iphone 

....game changer (in the way people will play their music)

as @barbz127 noted it is attractive to non audiophiles. 

Mobile phones like the i10 or s10 cost well north of 1k but people buy a new one every 2 years.

Whether the cost vs benefit suits a person is up to them to decide.  Interesting how many people now cannot "live" without an iphone or even a $500 phone.

I guess the nay sayers here never invested or believed in Apple.

• Like 1