Sign in to follow this  
fodderstomf

audio technica at100e cartridge

Recently put the  audio technica  lp120 in the cupboard and purchased a rega p2

I changed the carbon cart to a new at100e cartridge

I have noticed that this seems to be a very sensitive cart compared to past ortofons i have used  om10 and 2m red

It seems to skip on records that are not prefect ( odd jamaican pressing and one very hot 180 gram reissue ) that the ortofons never had a issue with 

is the at100e cartridge known for not being a perfect tracker and would the  120e stylus be any better

and is this a bad match for the arm on the the rega p2 and best to fit something else ?

1 hour ago, fodderstomf said:

Recently put the  audio technica  lp120 in the cupboard and purchased a rega p2

I changed the carbon cart to a new at100e cartridge

I have noticed that this seems to be a very sensitive cart compared to past ortofons i have used  om10 and 2m red

It seems to skip on records that are not prefect ( odd jamaican pressing and one very hot 180 gram reissue ) that the ortofons never had a issue with 

is the at100e cartridge known for not being a perfect tracker and would the  120e stylus be any better

and is this a bad match for the arm on the the rega p2 and best to fit something else ?

I would say that your AT100e cart is not a good match for the RB220 arm which I presume you have on your P2?

Looking up other Rega arms in the Vinyl Engine tonearm database, I would guess the effective mass of the RB220 is 12gm.

The specs for the AT100e say it:

• weighs 6.5gm - so, say, 7.5gm with the mounting bolts.
  • has a dynamic compliance of 8.

Using the Vinyl Engine arm-cart resonance calculator (here:  https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php?eff_mass=12&submit=Submit), these numbers result in a cell which is outside the preferred result area (in green).

I would suggest the low compliance of the AT100e would match better with an arm of higher effective mass.  What seems to be happening is that the low compliance of the cart causes the stylus to be thrown out of the groove by a transient; if the arm was heavier ... the stylus would stay in the groove.

Alternatively, the RB220 should be mated with a cart which has a higher compliance - say, 15.

Andy

57 minutes ago, andyr said:

Alternatively, the RB220 should be mated with a cart which has a higher compliance - say, 15.

Andy

Thank You  

it is indeed a rb220 arm 

I will take  one of ortofon carts I have around here and give that a go I believe they have a much higher compliance

2 minutes ago, fodderstomf said:

Thank You  

it is indeed a rb220 arm 

I will take  one of ortofon carts I have around here and give that a go I believe they have a much higher compliance

NP, fs.  :)

Why don't you look up your Ortofon carts on the Vinyl Engine Cart database - here:  https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php

From the info there, you can see whether it gets into the green, on the VE Cart Resonance calculator for the RB220 (eff weight 12gm).

Andy

The RB220 arm  has been frustrating me for weeks the automatic bias adjustment is what is causing the issues