Why do you listen to music?

sloper

Music has always been a big part of my life and I don't see that ever changing. From the 70s listening to AM  on my first transistor radio (sometimes in bed at night with a tacky earphone .. geez  but it still sounded great!) then the first Sharp stereo FM/Cassette portable player (with tape search function :) ) a Douglas HiFi "ïntegrated" TT amp and speakers, through various mid fi systems over 25 years to today with an almost entry level audiophile set up... It's all about just getting lost in the song or the music. Beatles or Beethoven., when an idea is great it can truly move the soul :afro:

I don't watch much if any TV these days it's 4 or 5 hours of music. Sitting in front of the system. Agree about the background music thing. For that I have the BBC.. That said, I have been guilty of trialing some new albums in the background as I work on the PC early evening. But with the Osborns, doesn't matter where you sit, there's no such thing as background  :lol:

My Journey in music startet with pop, Heavy and grunge..

But my preference in music is always evolving.

Today I listen alot to singer songwriter, classics, alternative and progressive rock and progressive tecno, progressive metal.

Most of it not mainstream at all...

I don't know why someone has a brain and ear for music while other just listen to the base.

Some people admire art and performance, some don't...

Music soothes the soul, we listen every night before lights out, it's a way to unwind and relax. And there is always something new to listen to.

For those that like to tinker HiFi is a perfect platform to do it, you can't run out and swap the engine, gearbox, suspension in your car without great difficulty but you can swap speakers, amps, sources in seconds.

• Like 2

I’ve come to this thread late in the piece, but better late than never. Several reasons come to mind, but primarily it's soul food.

Yes, music makes me happy as others have said, but it’s more than that. For me it’s a drug !  It can give me some of the most exhilarating highs that I’ve ever had, and even more than that - I can almost summon that rush on demand if the timing / setting is right.  It’s the ultimate mood setter for me, and I get to to choose the mood that I want to be in, and to break the spell when I want to.  Magic! Fantastic stuff !  And there’s generally no hangover or listener’s remorse ?

Another related reason but more abstract is that it’s great way to explore emotions / ideas that are not that not easily to put into words.  It’s not something I go looking for but you know it when you hear it   If a picture tells a thousand words, then an interesting / challenging song/passage of music will exceed that mark considerably for me. 

While some people like to watch TV / Netflix or whatever, I prefer to watch the ‘movie’ of a performance (studio or live) and how the production has been put together.  ... Yeah, this is nerdy but I find it interesting & cool.

I 'discovered' both these facets of musical engagement in my late teens and I haven’t lost the ‘taste’ for it.  If anything now 4 or 5 decades on & finally having assembled a credible system that enables me to 'see into the music'  I’m now more hooked than ever  ( ..... much to my partner's annoyance, but that's another thread )

Perhaps a final reason that I'll offer is with my increasing frustration as a muso.  While I’m still playing occasionally, I’ve become pretty bored and constrained with my own playing.  Listening in fine detail to what others are doing and how they find their way into new musical spaces is really entertaining to me.  It’s reassuring that people are trying / discovering new things & not just re-hashing things.    ......  I wish I were doing this for myself or perhaps now working on the production side of things, but living it vicariously through recorded music will just have to do

• Like 4

Music's been an important part of my life.  When young it was one of my first real interests, which has always stayed with me.  At school I learned instruments and was involved with group playing, however, this didn't continue much after school as my ability (although well-developed) was never going to be at the level I wanted it to be to be able to really enjoy playing. 

Though my younger and difficult years music was the counterbalance, that enabled me to let go of my life and experience joy.  These days I don't listen to as much as I used to, which is something I would like to rectify.  I listen uncritically every day for over an hour in the car.  When I listen to the hifi it's critical/mindful listening.

As my younger years were spent playing music, I know what music should sound like and have pursued as good as reproduction as I could get.  Unfortunately, this has been "Champagne taste on a Beer budget".  So I've tried to tinker with the hifi to get the maximum quality I could get.  Now I've got a system I'm generally satisfied with, I would like to feel I'm happy with it but am still tinkering to improve it (hopefully for the last round).  I'd love to do more upgrades, but am content with what I have. 

• Like 1

Music serves different needs in my life. And it has done so as I've gotten older.

Initially it was a very strong emotional thing, allowing me to shout, sings, express things through my teenage years as the grunge movement went wild. I was a bit of a quiet young kid, didn't go to any parties through high school and just spent my nights listening to music. That passion eventually led me to learning guitar in my late teens and being in bands and enjoying all sorts of music with those band members. I've also always been a tech geek but it never manifested itself into audiophilia until the last two years.

As I hit my late 20s I became quite bored with a lot of music, which took me on a journey to enjoy new sounds from other parts of the world and music became almost more cerebral than emotional. I'm almost 40 now and am enjoying seeking new sounds through digital streaming as well as getting really obsessed with finding clarity in my audiophile habit :) I'm a young budget audiophile but looking forward to becoming broke very soon :P

Edited by nowallet
  • Like 3

The more we’re exposed to something, the more we tend to like it.

This happens with people we know, the advertisements we see and, yes, the songs we listen to.

When you’re in your early teens, you probably spend a fair amount of time listening to music or watching music videos. Your favorite songs and artists become familiar, comforting parts of your routine.

For many people over 30, job and family obligations increase, so there’s less time to spend discovering new music. Instead, many will simply listen to old, familiar favorites from that period of their lives when they had more free time.

In fact, studies have found that by the time we turn 33, most of us have stopped listening to new music.

Meanwhile, popular songs released when you’re in your early teens are likely to remain quite popular among your age group for the rest of your life.

Then there is this study that explain why...

https://neurosciencenews.com/aging-new-music-14995/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nowallet said:

...As I hit my late 20s I became quite bored with a lot of music, which took me on a journey to enjoy new sounds from other parts of the world and music became almost more cerebral than emotional. I'm almost 40 now and am enjoying seeking new sounds through digital streaming ...

One thing I have learned is that music is so vast that there is always another aspect of music to discover and become obsessed with!  And different music leads to different ways of listening to it, which then enables listening to old familiar music in a new refreshed way.  Enjoy the journey. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

The more we’re exposed to something, the more we tend to like it.

This happens with people we know, the advertisements we see and, yes, the songs we listen to.

When you’re in your early teens, you probably spend a fair amount of time listening to music or watching music videos. Your favorite songs and artists become familiar, comforting parts of your routine.

For many people over 30, job and family obligations increase, so there’s less time to spend discovering new music. Instead, many will simply listen to old, familiar favorites from that period of their lives when they had more free time.

In fact, studies have found that by the time we turn 33, most of us have stopped listening to new music.

Meanwhile, popular songs released when you’re in your early teens are likely to remain quite popular among your age group for the rest of your life.

Then there is this study that explain why...

https://neurosciencenews.com/aging-new-music-14995/

This is true to a degree.  However, I dislike a lot of today's music because it's brickwalled and auto-tuned, etc. 

I didn't stop listening to new music, I stopped listening to contemporary "new" music. 

After my 30's, and to the present day, I was happily exploring different genres of music, however, I have often explored new music (to me) from generations and centuries before my teens. 

• Like 3

Music connects us together in a happy way including people from different cultures, languages and countries.  Few things do this like music in this world of increasing economic and political volatility, poverty and selfishness.   Enough of the ranting, thank goodness for music.

• Like 3

I can’t remember not listening to music. From the time I bought my first system at 15 until now I’ve always had music in my life. My system is the tool that lets me hear the music with clarity and dynamics. I’ll listen to music through anything (except a phone... I have limits) so it’s not solely about the system but a good HiFi helps. I don’t perform any task around the house, whether it be housework or painting or working in the shed, without music playing. It makes everything more pleasant. Even vacuuming. ?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jeromelang said:

I suppose I'm not in the majority, but hey I never never was.  I've always been an outsider in my musical tastes and they continue to diversify as I get on, but it does require a bit of effort when there's more music and musical styles readily accessible than ever before in history