sloper

Why do you listen to music?

Goodaye all

Had a interesting conversation the other day about how/ why l listen to music.

l have music on most of the time, at home, in the car and at work most of the time it is background.

Have been known to tap, sway and sing (its a horrible noise) really enjoy myself.

This happens on systems that sound average to my better vintage stuff.

So my answer was to enjoy myself.

The second question was do l enjoy fiddling with my system and felt satisfied with what l have.

Now l like refurbishing old stuff but once its up and singing it tends to not change, very happy with what l have got and it sounds better to me as l had some input.

l do have a few amps but they all work and get a workout.

So how do you listen?

With a critical ear?

Always wanting to upgrade?

Chasing that 3% of better sound.

While writing his l am listening to Joni Mitchell and amp that is as old as l am and still kicks butt.

regards Bruce

I love the sound of music, bathing in it's intentions & thinking the meaning is specifically for me. It makes my emotions more intense & it just gives me a damn good reason to sit, do nothing other than listen & a very good reason to have a drink while I'm doing it.. It's my transporter..

1/ Avoidance therapy. (tongue in cheek BTW)

2/ I like to tinker, getting satisfaction out of the result, unless i stuff it up. Edit: I don't really upgrade in the conventional sense, I have had the same speakers and amp for many years now.

Edited by Muon N'

Good question. I am a massive music fan going back to the old cassette days.

I like it loud and and clear ie hear the individual instruments.

But I'm not really sure why I like music?

Edited by Jeddie

makes me feel good and happy.   

Nothing better than discovering new music and playing it the first few times.

listening to older music takes you back to when you first heard it and all the good memories.

Edited by metal beat

21 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Nuff said right there...

Tase

I've said before I don't listen to music as I did when I was 13 when it meant more than anything else right through my early teens and I was a guitar player back then so it meant a whole lot to me.

I listen to a lot of music not with the same ardour as a young fuy, but most of it in the background always enjoying those moments when it catches me, grabs my attention more fully, discovering a new artist or performance, a unique instrument, virtuoso playing, a simple melody, a long forgotten song an heretofore unknown composer.

Why I listen, not sure, I am always flabbergasted with people that don't listen to music. It is I feel something very primitive and instinctive to the human species. 

In many ways I wish there was not so much of it and that access to it was not so easy or its use so nonchalant it might move more people to making music.

Mostly to escape for a little bit. After a long day (my job at Apknite is too hard), I'll listen to my favorite music while laying in bed. It's my form of meditation.

Why listen, hmmm.

No idea actually.

Have lived without vinyl now for 6 months so there goes the wine/bourbon/gin link up and probably a good reason the cantilever snapped.

But why listen?

I think it explains a lot of people, it's a fantastic tool for meeting and equally for damming.

It rules some here's life's and it's a balm to many a person and others see it as an income.

Chuck your music on in whatever format and listen to it at your leisure or at your work or while your actually working, mentally or physically and not deskbound.

No need to dig too deep philosophically as it just is for many people.

Me? A loose cannon at times the mods have informed me and Mrs Mills features prominently at times  in my quiet listening sessions as does Arvo Pärt when I'm destroying something and being paid for it.

We all dig music or we wouldn't be here yeah.

2 hours ago, Luc said:

Me? A loose cannon at times the mods have informed me

What!!  A "loose cannon ", Luc???  I cannae Blieve it!  :lol:

Andy

PS: why are you 6 months without vinyl, mate?

Edited by andyr

Lots of reasons, for different times. Some light on perhaps the "weirdest" of these:

Much of my work is developing software in the engineering/math field. Contrary to what many might think there is art, or least fine craft, in that. An intricate piece of machinery, with highly structured sub-systems, an army of cooperating robots each doing their little parts.

There is music that helps keep me in the mood for that.

Other times it is party, or relax. Different music there. It's all good :)

That is the only way to properly hear the silence. 

23 hours ago, metal beat said:

Nothing better than discovering new music and playing it the first few times.

listening to older music takes you back to when you first heard it and all the good memories.

😬😬 I'm just trying to get "in" with bhodi really

I listen to music frequently, but very rarely play it as just background. If I am trying to do some sort of job around the house, then background music becomes a distraction because I tend to stop and listen to it when I need to focus on the task at hand.

I had a conversation recently with a work colleague about music, and he genuinely couldn't understand why anyone would stop and listen to music. To him, music was only for playing in the background.

Exact opposite to me, as I don't understand how anyone can not sit down and listen to some sort of music purely for enjoyment.

And there I think I've answered the question very simply. I listen to music because I enjoy it. I could try to analyse why that is, but that runs the risk of taking the fun out of it.

13 minutes ago, emesbee said:

I had a conversation recently with a work colleague about music, and he genuinely couldn't understand why anyone would stop and listen to music. To him, music was only for playing in the background.

Exact opposite to me, as I don't understand how anyone can not sit down and listen to some sort of music purely for enjoyment.

Agree 100%.

For me, music is (almost) always a sit -down-and-listen experience and except in some circumstances I actively dislike background music. It seems to steal the feeling and emotion in the music and makes it a bit like muzak.

On occasion I may have some music playing when I am busy doing stuff around the house but as @emesbee says, it often distracts me and stops me doing what I was doing in the first place.