A new and improved version of the Curious usb cable has been released (Curious Evolved), has anyone heard it yet? 

How does it compare to the original?

Maybe we can hit up a seller for a multi order from a few of us for a good discount and also some feedback on SNA that could possibly end up selling more? :)

Edited by rocky500

18 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Maybe we can hit up a seller for a bulk order from a few of us for a good discount and also some feedback on SNA that could possibly end up selling more? :)

That could be an option.  Although there is only one seller in AUS and the original is one of the best USB cables in the world, so I think demand for the new cable will be quite high anyway, especially if it is better. The cable is relative expensive so getting numbers for a bulk order may be difficult, time will tell.

Well it looks like there is only one way to find out, 30 day money back guarantee so nothing to lose.

On 21/09/2019 at 5:00 AM, Gruffnutz said:

I'm willing to bet it 'sounds' exactly the same.

Hi Gruffnutz.      It would cost nothing to find out 😎 just buy a new Evolve Curious and compare it to your standard Curious ! 

When it sounds the same you can confirm your suspicion and send it back for zero cost 🧐

Problem is it doesn’t sound the same it’s quite ahead and I can guarantee it 😁

cheers Mike Lenehan 

Edited by Lenehan Audio
Miss spell

22 hours ago, Lenehan Audio said:

Hi Gruffnutz.      It would cost nothing to find out 😎 just buy a new Evolve Curious and compare it to your standard Curious ! 

When it sounds the same you can confirm your suspicion and send it back for zero cost 🧐

Problem is it doesn’t sound the same it’s quite ahead and I can guarantee it 😁

cheers Mike Lenehan 

Yeah; nah.  Don't need fresh snake oil Mike.  But keep on milking.  :-)

32 minutes ago, Gruffnutz said:

Yeah; nah.  Don't need fresh snake oil Mike.  But keep on milking.  🙂

Well I changed 200mm of USB cable and I can clearly hear an improvement in SQ, it must be time I headed off to the padded room then. 😉

18 hours ago, awayward said:

Well I changed 200mm of USB cable and I can clearly hear an improvement in SQ, it must be time I headed off to the padded room then. 😉

The DBT room would be equally effective.

Posted (edited)

I'd be keen to join in on an sna group buy if anyone's organising

Edited by fire2368

On 27/09/2019 at 12:25 PM, a.dent said:

The DBT room would be equally effective.

OK. This really sucks. I just wrote this really long story here, got a phone call in between, wrote some more and when I hit send it turned out I wasn't connected to the internet through my phone anymore. Lost the lot. So here's my second go...

I have a Devialet Original d' Atelier. It's a dual mono setup so it's got two USB inputs. Last week I took some time to make up a configuration with just the two USB inputs working. I named them the same in Roon. For those who don't know, the Devialet remote only has one button for source choice so you have to toggle through the available inputs. In this case just two times USB.

I played the same play list through both inputs and spent a bit in getting them to sync by pausing one of them a bit to let the other catch up. So then I could switch between inputs with no idea which was which. All I had to do is switch a bunch of times really fast to lose track of which input I was listening to. The only way to identify them was by looking at the screen on the amps but that requires getting up out of my chair and walking over to the amps (the screen sits on top)

I used an original Curious USB 0.8m long and an MIT SL Matrix 2.0m long for the test. The only other variable was the inputs and outputs to which I connected the cables. I did change them a few times too after the blind test. This I had to do sighted because there were two variables in place but it confirmed I wasn't hearing differences in inputs or outputs.

A bit about my ears.

My left ear has a drop around the 4kHz region and my right ear is fine. That means that when I listen to something bright, I get the perception of a balance to the right.

These are my findings.

There was what I thought was a perceived difference in volume between the two. I used a 1kHz test tone and my iPhone to confirm there was actually a volume difference of 3dB. So I adjusted the volume on the louder cable by 3dB in Roon and now I was comparing apples with apples. I just didn't know which apple was which yet.

Now I was listening at the same volume it was clear that one of the cables was just a bit less bright than the other. That meant to my ears that the balance on the brighter cables leaned somewhat to the right and through the other cable it was centred. A very easy thing to identify. Not once did I feel I had to guess.

I've always found that you hear deeper into the music when you get rid of a bit of glare/brightness so my preference was for the less bright cable. As it turns out the less bright cable was also the one with the drop in volume. It was the MIT SL Matrix.

I spoke with Geoff Blundell, importer of MIT and audio dealer in Tweed Heads about this drop in volume (Disclaimer. I do a bit of work once in a while for Geoff) There are boxes on either side of the cable which I thought were ferrite rings. But Geoff is not so sure. MIT are a bit hush hush about what's in their boxes so there could be a filter in there. That filter could get rid of the glare plus be responsible for the volume drop.

One thing is now clear to me. It's possible to make USB cables sound different. It might just be that it requires a filter but the difference is definitely there. 

That finding sucks because now I'm going to spend more money again; I ordered an MIT cable in the length I need. And I don't even know how much it costs! Oops!

19 minutes ago, Pim said:

OK. This really sucks. I just wrote this really long story here, got a phone call in between, wrote some more and when I hit send it turned out I wasn't connected to the internet through my phone anymore. Lost the lot. So here's my second go...

I have a Devialet Original d' Atelier. It's a dual mono setup so it's got two USB inputs. Last week I took some time to make up a configuration with just the two USB inputs working. I named them the same in Roon. For those who don't know, the Devialet remote only has one button for source choice so you have to toggle through the available inputs. In this case just two times USB.

I played the same play list through both inputs and spent a bit in getting them to sync by pausing one of them a bit to let the other catch up. So then I could switch between inputs with no idea which was which. All I had to do is switch a bunch of times really fast to lose track of which input I was listening to. The only way to identify them was by looking at the screen on the amps but that requires getting up out of my chair and walking over to the amps (the screen sits on top)

I used an original Curious USB 0.8m long and an MIT SL Matrix 2.0m long for the test. The only other variable was the inputs and outputs to which I connected the cables. I did change them a few times too after the blind test. This I had to do sighted because there were two variables in place but it confirmed I wasn't hearing differences in inputs or outputs.

A bit about my ears.

My left ear has a drop around the 4kHz region and my right ear is fine. That means that when I listen to something bright, I get the perception of a balance to the right.

These are my findings.

There was what I thought was a perceived difference in volume between the two. I used a 1kHz test tone and my iPhone to confirm there was actually a volume difference of 3dB. So I adjusted the volume on the louder cable by 3dB in Roon and now I was comparing apples with apples. I just didn't know which apple was which yet.

Now I was listening at the same volume it was clear that one of the cables was just a bit less bright than the other. That meant to my ears that the balance on the brighter cables leaned somewhat to the right and through the other cable it was centred. A very easy thing to identify. Not once did I feel I had to guess.

I've always found that you hear deeper into the music when you get rid of a bit of glare/brightness so my preference was for the less bright cable. As it turns out the less bright cable was also the one with the drop in volume. It was the MIT SL Matrix.

I spoke with Geoff Blundell, importer of MIT and audio dealer in Tweed Heads about this drop in volume (Disclaimer. I do a bit of work once in a while for Geoff) There are boxes on either side of the cable which I thought were ferrite rings. But Geoff is not so sure. MIT are a bit hush hush about what's in their boxes so there could be a filter in there. That filter could get rid of the glare plus be responsible for the volume drop.

One thing is now clear to me. It's possible to make USB cables sound different. It might just be that it requires a filter but the difference is definitely there. 

That finding sucks because now I'm going to spend more money again; I ordered an MIT cable in the length I need. And I don't even know how much it costs! Oops!

Perhaps you should compare the new Curious Evolved cable to the MIT, it is much better than the original you are comparing.

Just now, awayward said:

Perhaps you should compare the new Curious Evolved cable to the MIT, it is much better than the original you are comparing.

That's been on my mind. I haven't even got the MIT yet and I think I should give that one a bit of time to get used to but it's definitely something I could do. Mike Lenehan is only a 45 minute drive away so they're easy to get my hands on.

19 hours ago, Pim said:

A bit about my ears.

These are my findings.

That sounds weird that you heard a difference in volume.

I take it from your description you are using a PC or similar with 2 USB outputs into the 2 USB inputs on the Devialet.

Did you try swapping outputs to see if the 3dB drop in volume followed the changed cable or if it stayed with the same USB output?

I just can't imagine how the volume could be changed by changing the USB cable unless one cable is processing the digital signal in some way.

Even ASR have found different USB cables can measure differently with some DACs.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-wireworld-starlight-7-usb-cable.6599/

The difference in measurements were below -110dB, so hardly audible. (not audible to any normal person). They did not find any evidence of different volumes from different cables though.

It would be interesting if you could try a cheap generic cable to see if you hear a difference with the same setup.

Unfortunately there's no such thing as a filter that can be put on a USB cable that would decrease the volume. If they weren't volume matched, it means the Devialet behaves different from the different inputs.

29 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Unfortunately there's no such thing as a filter that can be put on a USB cable that would decrease the volume. If they weren't volume matched, it means the Devialet behaves different from the different inputs.

Or different volumes from each source USB output.