My Quad ESL’s are out of storage.

Finally, after a massive room renovation, my Quad 57’s get to play again.

New floor joists, new Sycon flooring and tiles. Perforated ply over black cloth over insulation, works a treat with the 57’s. Need to drag out my Quad II 80 mono blocks....but the music plays again, ....

Could not wait,.... mono blocks are “on the floor” ?

53BF02D5-F84B-434B-946D-FB1AAA53969E.jpeg

05F94480-DB44-4FE0-B13C-F88D984DDBC3.jpeg

06655565-9F90-4801-B4A9-64199CB5C235.jpeg

Edited by Mr 57
  • Like 9
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, Mr 57 said:

Stats can be addictive, they are something that just rings my bell.

I remember hearing a pair of 57's and Quad mono valve amps. Classical music was amazing - it wasn't great with modern bass music.

22 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I have always been interested in electrostats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, misternavi said:

I remember hearing a pair of 57's and Quad mono valve amps. Classical music was amazing - it wasn't great with modern bass music.

You are right, their bass reproduction is not for modern heavy handed bass mixes. But the bass they do is extremely accurate and suits the type of music I really like.....blues, acoustic....etc .

Every speaker is a compromise, finding the one that suits yourself is the key to nirvana.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dave O))) said:

Wow what a nice minimal setup there. Looks great and you have your TV at a sensible viewing height emoji106.png

Can I ask where you obtained the perforated ply or did you DIY?

Thanks Dave O.....trying to pair it all back....minimalist is my aim. Re TV height, seriously how can it be comfortable to watch a TV 1500mm off the floor ?

The perforated ply was a lucky find on Gumtree, travelled a total of 8hrs to pick up. Needed serious re finishing, but was the look I was wanting.

It is available commercially, but geez Louise it’s expensive.

Edited by Mr 57
  • Like 1

You are right, their bass reproduction is not for modern heavy handed bass mixes. But the bass they do is extremely accurate and suits the type of music I really like.....blues, acoustic....etc .
Every speaker is a compromise, finding the one that suits yourself is the key to nirvana.

I’m sure quad owners don’t listen to hip hop on their 57’s.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Soul Superfly said:

I have heard / read that the optimum height to the bottom of the 57 is 10.5 inches, I will be making a couple of stands for mine.

post-108216-0-40366200-1432551135.jpg

Nice brother ?

I agree it does have a benefit, but the powers to be, are a little bristled by them off the ground. I started with milk crates to see if I liked it.

Lovely set up you have ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Soul Superfly said:

I have heard / read that the optimum height to the bottom of the 57 is 10.5 inches, I will be making a couple of stands for mine.

I suggest "optimum height" is dependent on (the height of) your listening chair.  I would've thought the horizontal centre of the panels should be at ear height.

Andy

• Love 1

that would obviously be based on a standard height chair as there is a standard, The most common measurements are about 17-18 inches, though you can find seats as low as 15 inches and as high as 20 inches.

I found that a 25 mm block on the single rear foot made a nice difference to the sound.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Soul Superfly said:

I found that a 25 mm block on the single rear foot made a nice difference to the sound.

Agreed, I am using approx 35mm, nice compromise on stands. Keeps my “boss” happy too ?

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Winno said:

I love that wall!

What is and where did you get the stand the electronics are sitting on?

Thanks Winno... pretty happy with the way it turned out. Tried to get the mid century modern look.

The “audio” stand ....is / was temporary, we stumbled across it at a Harvey Norman sale, it’s actually a lamp table. In the meantime have got the II 80’s off the floor.

DF3A8847-2B1E-497D-9FFE-AA9466597A05.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, snavedivad said:

Yes my first pair of quads, had them nearly 15 years though.

Addictive little buggars aren’t they ....can’t see myself stepping out of them anytime soon. I have had Quad panels, 63’s too, for ....wow....just did a count, 20yrs. 

• Like 1