Sign in to follow this  
7502dan

Wich speakers would you choose Harbeth compact 7 or Leneham ml2

As per title and considering that i have the required amplification as far as power is concerned.Speakers are about 3 meters away in a equidistant triangle,abour 50 cm from back and side walls.Music is mostly  classical with a bit of blues and jazz at times

Best you state what all the equipment is, or at the very least the amplification.

Lenehan speakers will perform at a level of the chain feeding them, better the chain of components the better performance.....they are very good! as for Harbeth speakers i have never heard any.

Edit: Oh, welcome :)

Edited by Muon N'

Let me explain, i have two systems one that comprises of Audionote an/j that is a very unlikely match with a consonance pre in to a ??? Cinenova grande three channel 300 watt@8 ohm 600 at 4 ohm monster.

My other system is Dynaudio focus 140 run by a Sansui au g99x 170watt integrated.Swaping the speakers with rhe other amp does absolutely not work.I know Audionote  doesn't  need  that sort of power and Dynadius should work better  with rhe more powerful  Cinenova Grande  but it doesn't. Afer many years i just realised that sinergy IS the most important factor.Do not discount rhe Sansui, when i had it serviced by Clarke audio (Dallas) i was told that it's  tha same circuit as a Vitus amplifier. 

i had more esoteric(expensive) staff but that didn't sound proportionally better.Two components i regret selling,speakers Snell type a mk3 and power amp Vac renaissance 70/70 power amp.

Edited by 7502dan
mistake

To answer the specific question in the thread title.

The Lenehan speakers (any day of the week ).

hi rantan,thanks for your answer.Have you heard both,in your opinion ,what makes one better then the other?

rantan you give such a categoric answer ,is there such a clear superiority?thanks

17 minutes ago, 7502dan said:

hi rantan,thanks for your answer.Have you heard both,in your opinion ,what makes one better then the other?

Hi Dan.

Happy to help mate.

I have definitely heard both and at quite some duration as well.

Being 100% frank and honest, neither are favourites of mine, but I have deep respect for what Mike Lenehan does in the industry. His work ethic, design intelligence and overall product quality is second to none. I could certainly live with a pair but they wouldn't be in my short list if I was buying.

As regards the Harbeth, I just don't get it. I think I am one of a very few people in the known universe who are not enraptured by Harbeth speakers. I find them bland, boring.lifeless and lacking in any macro/micro dynamic prowess. I have tried most of their range and I just cannot elicit any emotional response when hearing them.

This will upset the fan people no doubt,  but for the asking price on any particular model Harbeth, I would prefer to spend the money almost anywhere else.

I think this is certainly definitive but the thread title invited such a response and I am never afraid to express an honest opinion, so I hope I don't require a flack jacket to protect myself from the Harbeth people.

I am just a pebble on the audio beach.

Edited by rantan

5 hours ago, rantan said:

As regards the Harbeth, I just don't get it. I think I am one of a very few people in the known universe who are not enraptured by Harbeth speakers. I find them bland, boring.lifeless and lacking in any macro/micro dynamic prowess. I have tried most of their range and I just cannot elicit any emotional response when hearing them.

While I have not heard the top end Harbeth’s I have heard the HL5’s and I walked away after about an hour wondering what all the fuss was about.

Cheers Terry

Since you asked, and having heard a Couple of Models both Brands I'd choose neither on what I have heard. Any particular reason you've narrowed it down to those 2? Personally, I think you can do a lot better, there's plenty of different options. Realise though we are generally listening for different sounds, presentation, feel etc. and you may love one or both of these. Audition is always best. Harbeth's should be no issue, hopefully you can arrange an audition of Lenehans somehow.

This is all subjective impressions, so may not apply to you.

I have owned both, well ML ref 1 not ML2. 

Generally speaking, both are great speakers and I strongly preferred the Harbeth. Both have there fan boys.

Both speakers brands have good local support if buying new. From what I have seen the Lenehan speakers dont hold their price as well as the Harbeths in the second hand market.

If your into specs and measurements - the Harbeths perform very well. They have a more traditional appearance whereas all the Lenehan speakers I have seen have an exceptionally beautiful modern finish.

Both speakers seem to really capture people differently. Hearing them may be key - but they are both so good if you only hear one you will want it. If you own Dynaudio in another system - Harbeth may provide more of an "alternative" sound, particularly with tubes.

Like AudioGeek - I've been fortunate enough to own both (ML1 Ref's and P3ESR SE's). They are both voiced differently with the Lenehans the more forward of the two. Given you're talking about a system chain containing tubes I'd strongly encourage listening to both in your system, however if I were to over-simplify things I'd make the following statements:

Lenehan:

- Better extension across both ends i.e. High's seem to be better resolved and bass presented itself tighter and better defined.

- Midrange came across a touch lean

- Exceptional imagining

Harbeth

- A more textured and palpable midrange

- Highs were smoother others may call it rolled off

- Bass was just as textured and nuanced as the Lenehans with materially less impact

If I listened to a lot of blues and jazz I'd got for the Harbeths, along with a comfortable chair, crackling fire and a well aged single malt.

Edited by Galactic Soap