Arm Board STD 3055M

Hi Hugh

According to the manual the present holes fit a SME arm board and to fit a different arm, other arm boards are just fitted over the top.

Other were available at the time but that was probably 40 years ago.

file:///C:/Users/Jones/Downloads/ve_std_305d (1).pdf

You are really just talking about a small ,rectangular plate, that fits over the six screw holes presently there, with a round hole,in the correct position, to fit your Linn Basik LVX+ arm

Plate could be timber, ply ,plastic laminate or metal.

If you provided the dimensions of the arm board ,the positions of the six screw holes and the position of the hole for the Linn arm, to any local Joiner / Kitchen cabinet builder it should be no problem for them to make a plate up. 

Edited by EV Cali

24 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

It would have to be a custom job.  What size and thickness is the board you require?

If Hugh could provide the measurements in regard to a drawing as below to any local Joiner / Kitchen cabinet builder it should not be a problem.  If you are really stuck and could provide measurements I could do it.

I do not think thickness would be too crucial, as there is some height adjustment on arm.

500804468_Linnarmboard.thumb.JPG.d836f2a077ebb8d9c595d665340b3158.JPG

Edited by EV Cali

I did some turntable measurements of the position of the SME mount relative to the spindle and overlapped the arm template. 

I came up with the diagram attached. For the Linn with a Spindle to mount distance of 211mm it looks like the position of the armboard is too far away OR the arm is too short for this turntable. I have positioned the Linn mount as far left as I can but it is still not correct. The arm and Board sit in a well so not easy to resolve. 

Any thoughts?

Might be time for a new arm with a more appropriate effective length. 

ARM.jpg

I would think that if the turntable is designed to accommodate a SME 9'' tonearm it would be nominally the same as the Linn tonearm, ie 229mm  / 9'' 

So you should not have a problem.  

Some other sizes of tone arm are 10 1/2 '' and 12''  so they would end up a long way further out than where you want them to end up.

Probably need a few other members to confirm or contradict my thoughts.

Seems the SME Series III was often fitted to these. These have an effective length of 233.2 and Pivot to Spindle 215.4 mm which seems about right, might be a bit short but then my measurements and calcs might be out too.

The length and position of the tube rest/anti skate knob limits how much movement I have because it is down in the recess of the arm mount. This is nearly 100mm from pivot. 

LVX.jpg

Edited by hcardle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Happy to report that the Roksan is work ng extremely well. I drew up various templates and made an armboard from MDF. I had to route out the unerside to accommodate the 32mm AF mounting nut as it fouled on edges of SME cut out. Also had to remove the plastic surround int the turntable arm "recess". The Bias control sits 45mm out and just clears the top plate. I will get some photos. I tidied up the turntable; level, foam in the springs, earth tags, bearing oil, motor rubber mounts and made sure it was isolated. 

I will get some pics later.

Needless to say it sounds fantastic. 

STD turntable, Roksan arm, Goldring G1042 cartridge (properly aligned), Cambridge Audio preamp, Yamaha RX-AS710 amp and Spendor Prelude speakers (old but still fab)

The arm was a bargain and immaculate.

Edited by hcardle