Sign in to follow this  
Arry74

Audessey versus using a SPL meter

I went over to my FIL's today and we calibrated his system using my new SPL Meter.

Question, would you trust using Audessey or the SPL Meter?

Cheers

To answer this, I think we need to understand a couple of things:

i) what do you call calibrating; and 

ii) what is your new SPL Meter and are you using any software with it?

Audyssey does several things,  Sets relative volume levels, sets individual delays for each speaker  and also applies room correction/Eq'ing.  Bad results can be had by not being careful when undertaking an Audyssey Cal.  Excellent results can also be achieved.  There is an excellent guide somewhere for this, though I don't recall at the moment where it is.

If you new SPL is just a $20 Ratshack jobbie, then it will just measure db's and not any of the other things that Audyssey takes into account.  If you new SPL is a UMIK1 or similar and you are using it with the likes fo REW, then you can achieve a far bit more, but you still can not easily apply equalisation (that I recall).

If just setting vol levels, I would rate the order as UMIK with REW then Audyssey, then bottom of the pile a Ratshak or phone meter.  Others experience may be different. 

If you want to get real serious, explore UMIK-1 mics, REW and also using DIRAC with a MiniDSP 88A.  This is however not a simple or cheap exercise.  If I find the link for the Audyssey cal info, I will post it here.

I always use a good, calibrated mic and REW or similar. Audessy is a PHD* solution for the average consumer and works well for that. A typical SPL meter won't be as good.

*Push Here Dummy.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/248466-audyssey-xt32-help/

http://www.willowville.net/ht/Audyssey%20Setup%20Guide.pdf

I’ve never had an issue with the levels produced by Audessey. 

i have.. audyssey xt32. subs too low, centre too low and surrounds/rears too low. just bump them all up by 3db

Cheers guys, I bought the SPL from here: https://www.jaycar.com.au/compact-digital-sound-level-meter/p/QM1589

His system has Audessey xt32 mine only xt as it is an older Denon.

I havent used the SPL on my system as yet however with his we ran the room correction but then used the SPL to set the channel levels.

I wasn't sure to just trust the room correction and not adjust anything or use just the SPL and manually change everything or use both.

I always verify Audyssey's calibration using REW and a calibrated mic - and adjust levels accordingly, and I (and a few others on AVS) have found Audyssey sets speakers 2-3dB hot (so around 77-78dB) and subs usually a dB or so low. I have personally checked this with 3 different AVRs (1x XT, 2x XT32) and 5 different Audyssey Mics (purchased some new ones from Aus distributor and eBay) and using 3 different calibrated mics with REW (1x Dayton , 1x miniDSP umik-1, 1x CSL calibrated umik-1)

Probably not necessary in the grand scheme of things, but I just like to know that when I'm watching a movie at -5MV  that I'm actually -5dB from Reference Level.

2 hours ago, Arry74 said:

Cheers guys, I bought the SPL from here: https://www.jaycar.com.au/compact-digital-sound-level-meter/p/QM1589

His system has Audessey xt32 mine only xt as it is an older Denon.

I havent used the SPL on my system as yet however with his we ran the room correction but then used the SPL to set the channel levels.

I wasn't sure to just trust the room correction and not adjust anything or use just the SPL and manually change everything or use both.

as long as you have followed the guide posted above to the letter you will likely all is well. it is usually only when you dont follow the guide decide to go off beaten track you tend to get caught out. I have used audyssey over multiple AVRS and processors over some 15 years.  THE main issue with audyssey is the mic used. in the case with the thrown in one its quite likely 1-3 db out ! 

however is that a big deal for most not as long as consistent. 

XT is basic and in capability. it will still calibrate the same just lacks the sophistication and capability with dual subs. I would go with the flow and see end result. it should get you pretty close :) 

things like sub level ... audyssey expect you will "salt to taste" ie adjust a bit up down to preference. keep in mind audyssey is just setup and EQ its trying to make best of the situation. its far more important to get setup and room right in the first place. measurement then is no big deal and eq needed less rather than more. 

For what it is worth, when I was running Audyssey, I would normally add about 5dB to the sub(s).  Also, used DynEq, to compensate when running at lower dB levels.

32 minutes ago, mcb said:

For what it is worth, when I was running Audyssey, I would normally add about 5dB to the sub(s).  Also, used DynEq, to compensate when running at lower dB levels.

dynamic EQ is an absolute must and audyssey expects you to use for listening below reference. it will do its own boosting of freq to make sure EQ is dynamically adjusted for  volume vs freq. whether OPs FIL AVR has dynamic eq is another thing.  

Just to open a can of worms - in some capable AVRs you can turn the 'Midrange compensation' on or off via the Audyssey app.

What is this setting for and should you leave it on or off?

2 hours ago, MaxPlumage said:

Just to open a can of worms - in some capable AVRs you can turn the 'Midrange compensation' on or off via the Audyssey app.

What is this setting for and should you leave it on or off?

it is one of best things can do with audyssey. its the BBC dip... they have it in by default and if running pro or very latest app version you can remove the dip

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347863-Midrange-Compensation

I have always preferred to remove the dip...

it is one of best things can do with audyssey. its the BBC dip... they have it in by default and if running pro or very latest app version you can remove the dip

Thanks ... do you actually notice a difference with it turned off? I'm struggling to hear any difference on or off.

56 minutes ago, MaxPlumage said:
58 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Thanks ... do you actually notice a difference with it turned off? I'm struggling to hear any difference on or off.

perhaps with your speakers there is no real difference anywise :) 

On 17/09/2019 at 2:11 PM, Arry74 said:

Audyssey can sometimes get the channel levels wrong for various complicated reasons (nothing to do with it's microphone being "not accurate enough") .... so it can be good to give it a check.

With my SPL Meter it has C weighting, slow etc then has a setting for low which is 30 - 100db and a high setting which is 60 - 130db. I have tried both and there is a difference of about 2db when using high v low etc

Anyone know which setting should be used?

Cheers

On 17/09/2019 at 5:42 PM, betty boop said:

dynamic EQ is an absolute must and audyssey expects you to use for listening below reference. it will do its own boosting of freq to make sure EQ is dynamically adjusted for  volume vs freq. whether OPs FIL AVR has dynamic eq is another thing.  

Set up my new 3500 yesterday. Just turned DEQ on and.......WOW