ATC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Misterioso

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 10th pair of Atc’s and I’d say my last.

Well my poor old Vienna’s, which I have really enjoyed for a number of years, have been well and truly retired.   

I'll join in 🙂

On 27/11/2020 at 12:07 PM, Xecuter said:

Damn I was hoping rosewood was a standard! Any pre-amps you would go for?

Rosewood is very rare .

and ATC say they may discontinue it soon due to lack of availability.

so if it’s what you like, I would get it while it’s still available.

Edited by delphi17
1 hour ago, seadog said:

Wow, beautiful speakers mate ! That walnut veneer is stunning, isn’t it.

Yeah, I reckon it was the best of what was available. The wife even said the finish was nice. I hadn’t told her what speakers I was getting nor the colour. When they arrived I was not prepared for how big they actually are. I gave her a call and said the new speakers were there and to prepare herself for something that might not suit her French provincial tastes. Surprisingly she got home, took one look and said they weren’t ugly and she liked the colour. She still hasn’t asked how much they were, some stuff she just doesn’t want to know!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

About a year ago I tried the Isoacoustic Gaia 1 footers on my SCM100asl towers and was ambivalent about the results. I ended up returning them. Not dissing the Gaia footers - many people have had very positive results and, to be honest, I was perplexed by my experience. I went back to using felt furniture glides under the speakers.

Anyway, the other day I installed some Herbies giant threaded stud gliders to the speakers and got a very positive reaction.

The Herbies footers are much shallower and less compliant than the Gaia's. The M8 stud version is what's required for the ATC plinth and they're unobtrusive, only raising the speakers about 20mm off the floor. 

Being 'gliders' the Herbies allow easy movement/positioning of the speakers on wooden floors like mine (unlike the Gaia's, which grip the floor and can't be moved around without placing something underneath them). 

I wasn't expecting too much after the Gaia experience but immediately noticed improved soundstage and image clarity.  The tonal, textural and transient quality of voices/instruments sounds more realistic and there is more delicacy and finesse. The gain is across the whole range from lows to highs. 

A very nice improvement then and something I'd recommend to other ATC tower owners.  

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I had the chance to hear both the SCM40 and SCM100 active ATCs today.  I like, I like very much.

The 100's are awesome but I think the 40's would do me if I was to be completely honest.  I'll be dreaming about the 100's though, big soundstage, big vocals, and they convey such a sense of ease the whole time.  I can certainly see why they are held in such high regard.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I had the chance to hear both the SCM40 and SCM100 active ATCs today.  I like, I like very much.

The 100's are awesome but I think the 40's would do me if I was to be completely honest.  I'll be dreaming about the 100's though, big soundstage, big vocals, and they convey such a sense of ease the whole time.  I can certainly see why they are held in such high regard.

I went from the 40’s to the 100’s. Yes, the 40’s are great but the 100’s are a massive improvement in every respect. They do things the 40’s can only dream of. So much power and authority at all frequencies and volumes. The 40’s are ‘nice’ but the 100’s are ‘epic’. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 06/02/2021 at 8:48 PM, gat474 said:

I went from the 40’s to the 100’s. Yes, the 40’s are great but the 100’s are a massive improvement in every respect. They do things the 40’s can only dream of. So much power and authority at all frequencies and volumes. The 40’s are ‘nice’ but the 100’s are ‘epic’. 

Hi Gat,

Hope you are well !

Congratulations on the new speakers. I am thinking of getting into ATC again. I wondered if you compared the 50’s/100’s and 150’s when you were auditioning and can briefly describe the differences in your experience.

specifically I am wondering if the highs and mids are the same or if the bigger woofer improves the top and mid by taking pressure off those drivers, ie higher crossover point ?

4 hours ago, Ray H said:

Hi Gat,

Hope you are well !

Congratulations on the new speakers. I am thinking of getting into ATC again. I wondered if you compared the 50’s/100’s and 150’s when you were auditioning and can briefly describe the differences in your experience.

specifically I am wondering if the highs and mids are the same or if the bigger woofer improves the top and mid by taking pressure off those drivers, ie higher crossover point ?

@Ray H I only listened to the 100’s as that’s all they had. I’m not sure if they stock any more than one pair of the larger range. I already knew what the older 50’s were like with the Seas tweeter and I found that the only thing that let them down was that Seas tweeter compared to the new Atc tweeter version.

By all accounts the Atc sound is the same across the whole range, it’s just the more you spend the bigger bass driver you get the the more bottom end.

Although the bottom end of the 100’s is plenty I’m augmenting them with a pair of mk1 JL F113 fathoms. Whilst not quite as good as your Gothams the twin F113’s coming in at below 45hz ads to the experience and certainly gives more feel through the listening chair. 
As much as I would have loved 150’s they are just too big and too far a financial reach.  
One thing I noted with the 40’s plus JL subs as they never had the hot power that the 100’s have by themselves. Play something like the Sheffield Drum and Track album (has to be on vinyl) and the 100/JL combo really make an exciting statement. 

• Like 1

Hi, I have 50 ASLT and fixed GAIA I in plinth. When I was trying to set the speaker toe in , due to hard affixing of GAIA I base rubber on floor , complete GAIA1 including the thread in which M8 stud is fixed in speaker base came out. Now how to fix it

C7B1A7A0-06FC-42F3-A018-6C6F40004224.jpeg

Thanks mate,

The 100’s with the F113’s must be awesome, you must be loving it.

Agree the tweeter in the older models was the one ***** in the armour. I’m tossing up between 100’s and 150’s, I suspect the call of that big 15 inch driver will be too hard to resist.

👍

Edit; apparently “c h i n k “ is 

a bad word, who woulda thunk it...

Edited by Ray H
1 hour ago, Ray H said:

Thanks mate,

The 100’s with the F113’s must be awesome, you must be loving it.

Agree the tweeter in the older models was the one ***** in the armour. I’m tossing up between 100’s and 150’s, I suspect the call of that big 15 inch driver will be too hard to resist.

👍

Edit; apparently “c h i n k “ is 

a bad word, who woulda thunk it...

Interesting the words that get picked up as naughty. I guess the word in question was a derogatory term back when I was a kid but I hadn’t heard it used in the that respect for a long long time.

I reckon if you have the room and the money go the 150’s. You’ve already had 100’s and although yours were not current things won’t have changed all that much in the bottom end. The current owner is a fan of bottom end too with his multiple ATC subs. Not sure if I’d prefer ATC or JL subs but I’d like to own both.

I’ve heard the Kii without BXT in a room I’d describe as lucky with bass. The bottom end was really impressive even taking into account the room. I could only imagine what the BXT would be like.

You might find that the Kii with the BXT may have a more impressive bottom end than 150’s without subs. I don’t think my 100’s go all that low, lower than their specs for sure but not subterranean. What they do is tight hard hitting accurate bass. If it’s not there they don’t play it.

Edited by gat474
  • Like 1

Lol,

I just realised the old school use for that word. Apparently the pc meter is at least 40 years old ! Kind of appropriate I guess in hindsight.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts on the differences. The tweeter sounds like one of the big upgrades which is great.

If only I could afford the 150 aslt in an awesome gloss veneer, I suspect it’s a bridge too far though, oak is looking good.

7 hours ago, Ray H said:

Hi Gat,

Hope you are well !

All the 3 way ATC models crossover at 380Hz and 3.5kHz.

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, JohnL said:

All the 3 way ATC models crossover at 380Hz and 3.5kHz.

Hi John, that’s my understanding.

Edited by gat474
  • Like 1

So theoretically they sound almost identical in mid / top.

Might as well get the 50’s and huge subs...(tic)

23 minutes ago, Ray H said:

So theoretically they sound almost identical in mid / top.

Might as well get the 50’s and huge subs...(tic)

Go the 150’s - and huge subs!! In fact forget the subs and go the 300’s!

Edited by gat474
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

If you hear the 40 Actives and 100 actives in the same room with the same music, you will be very impressed with the 40's and they are seriously excellent bang for dollar, but ultimately I reckon 99% who hear both would choose the 100 actives, they are that good. 

Edit.  ... I have not heard the 150's but seriously want to, I can only imagine how good they are.

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

Well my poor old Vienna’s, which I have really enjoyed for a number of years, have been well and truly retired. 

F2A3D2C9-D210-47F1-ABAE-D342EA90FD03.jpeg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 16
  • Love 1

Correct Ray, I thought they had the foam woofer surrounds of the 150’s but you are spot on. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, gat474 said:

@TerryO am I seeing things or have you got some new 150 towers?

I wish, my photography skills must be getting better (couldn’t get worse) in fact yes they are 100’s. ... 😉

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

The 19's have been sitting idle for a while, nobody wants to buy them so I thought "f¥¢k it" and set them back up again. What a nice piece of kit!

20210317_125856.thumb.jpg.04fe698a4d6234334aff94a9e9179ac0.jpg

SCM100 looking fabulous in the premium finish @TerryO!

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, deanB said:

The 19's have been sitting idle for a while, nobody wants to buy them so I thought "f¥¢k it" and set them back up again. What a nice piece of kit!

20210317_125856.thumb.jpg.04fe698a4d6234334aff94a9e9179ac0.jpg

SCM100 looking fabulous in the premium finish @TerryO!

I think I read somewhere that the Supratek has a nice low impedance output which will suit the atc’s.

39 minutes ago, gat474 said:

I think I read somewhere that the Supratek has a nice low impedance output which will suit the atc’s.

Yes, I ran that question past Mick@Supratek before making the purchase from Ant @Grizzly

The hardest thing about owning a Supratek is getting top quality, low noise 6SN7 valves. I even tried a pair of 6F8G + adapter socket and whilst they sounded great, when the cd stopped playing the valve microphonics continued to "sing" the last few notes of the track. Hilarious stuff!

Edited by deanB
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Nice these look the ones that were on demo years ago at the stereonet audio show in melbourne?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Xecuter said:

Nice these look the ones that were on demo years ago at the stereonet audio show in melbourne?

Yes you are correct they are the ones from the 2019 Melbourne Showa far as I know.

cheers,

Terry

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Congratulations Terry on the 100s. Heard them during the 2019 Melbourne hi-fi show and was thoroughly impressed! Great colour too....

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

@TerryO starting to look very tidy mate

Wait till you hear them next time your down here Dan. ... 😎

Edited by TerryO
1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Yes you are correct they are the ones from the 2019 Melbourne Showa far as I know.

cheers,

Terry

Mate, I lusted over that pair for yearsss. Nearly pulled the trigger a couple of times but never committed.

Glad they are going to a top bloke in Qld. 

Maybe one day when you get the 150s you'll think of me!

Al

• Like 1

So after spending quite a bit of time over a few days moving the speakers around in search of sq perfection finally this afternoon I decided rather than thinking I knew better I would try setting the speakers and listening couch up in an measured equilateral triangle and instantly the whole system sounds way better than it ever has.

I have asked my better half to smack me in the back of the head if she comes into the listening room and finds that I have moved the couch or the speakers from where they now are. ... :angel:

cheers,

Terry

B04E888D-26A2-41A5-9A59-35F8A7584627.jpeg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TerryO said:

Wait till you hear them next time your down here Dan. ... 😎

Those Fynes have already messed me up. I don't need to hear possibly the best actives in the world too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, JDWest said:

I'll join in 🙂

IMG_7367.JPG

Which are those ATCs, if you don't mind me asking? 

They look pretty large for your space - do they work well in the smaller space?

31 minutes ago, JDWest said:

I'll join in 🙂

IMG_7367.JPG

Nice system ! 👍 is that the esoteric streamer and Mola Mola Pre ?

Edited by Ray H

They are 150 active towers (SCM150ASLT).  Room is 3.8m wide across the carpet and 7m deep. No problems with large ATCs in a smallish (narrow) room but some minor bass issues when I had them at the other end with a bay window in the middle.

• Like 3