ATC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Misterioso

Here is a pic of ATC's amazing 6 inch Super Linear bass driver used in the SCM19 and SCM20.

It has the famous atc 75mm soft midrange dome grafted on to it.

Plus the massive magnet structure which alone weighs around 9KG !

SB75-150SLweb-res (2).jpg

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 10th pair of Atc’s and I’d say my last.

Well, I've paid the entry fee and have rejoined the ATC club. I was a passive member last time around, this time I'm going active. Don't spare the horses, driver!

Well, they have arrived !!!!!   Thank God I got the 50A and NOT the 100A.   They only just squeezed trough my front door in the shipping cartons and up a flight of stairs, that dog

On 07/07/2020 at 3:02 PM, Tobes said:

Curious why they made the SCM150ASLT LE cabinet so much taller.

The different proportions are very obvious when you compare to the standard 150ASLT.

The images below are the same width and the black driver baffles the same size, but you can see the LE is much taller - about 291mm difference according to specs, though the plinth on the LE probably accounts for some of that

Since they are both 150's I assume the working cabinet volume is the same - i.e. 150 litres.

The extra height is a bit peculiar,  it will make the mid dome well above seated ear height.

On 03/07/2020 at 7:53 AM, deanB said:

Well, I've paid the entry fee and have rejoined the ATC club. I was a passive member last time around, this time I'm going active.

Don't spare the horses, driver!

IMG_3963~2.jpg

Very nice mate. When’s the gtg 😃

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Very nice mate. When’s the gtg 😃

Ha! I can't even make it to a gtg, what are chances of me hosting one. 

But I will put a few people on the drop by when you get a chance list.

Speakers are in Perth, hopefully turn up at @JDWest tomorrow.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MarkT said:

The extra height is a bit peculiar,  it will make the mid dome well above seated ear height.

Yes, not great for a near field a set-up.

The height of the 100aslt is ideal for my situation. If I slouch down on the couch, putting my ears below the mid dome, the speakers don't sound as balanced and focussed.

If I were choosing for my digs with cash to burn I'd take the SE version.

Though its not an issue I'll likely have to deal with.😉

Can you buy the EL150 new still? I thought it was Limited Edition..

I wonder if any exist in Australia... would love to compare to the big TAD

I’ve owned my ATC 10 active for 15 years, and l’m using them in a second system. Within the next couple of years l’ll buy the 50’s. 

349D473E-C199-40B3-BDF5-5841120EFEAF.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi,

I just saw this forum. I am using ATC SCM 40 Active with ATC SCA2 pre amp and Naim Nac N 272 with 555 PS DR as powersupply. I recently order ATC SCM 50 ASLT ( Rosewood colour) through my dealer who is ready to buy back 40 Active( Which is 3 months old only). I have noticed that 

1. The Preamp of SCA2 is having very high resolution.

2. The sound stage and base increases a lot when i replaced the seaker spikes with ISOACOUSTICS GAIAII.

After receiving 50 ASLT i will be interested in changing DAC to Chord Hugo TT2 or Chord DAVE . Any other good option?

• Like 1

Apologies to all in advance “hijacking” an old thread, and I hope it’s picked up by an ATC users who can give me some info, share experience . (I’m a newbie at this posting stuff)

I’m considering purchase 50asl or 100asl (budget question I hope) that will go into a new, almost finished, living area 9.5m x 6.5m x 3m ceilings.

....and Rage Against the Machine.... it will be one of the first albums spun.

queries.

1) what is the difference, apart from cabinet finish, between classic (Hilfi/domestic) and pro.  I’m lucky enough that the “Minister for the Interior” actually likes an industrial look, so this becomes largely an sq question.

2) will the 50’s fill this space without strain, at party levels if needed, I’m into all sorts music but rock and electronica are favs. (I’m likely selling my Dynaudio c1s and amps as I’m not one to stress the equipment)

3) what about 50’s with subs, I have 2x jl f110, is that worthwhile alternate to scm100. What if run with a crossover, if I can find one that won’t degrade quality, to split the low frequency from the atc..

a lot of topics there, number 1 is the key as drives the budget.

8 hours ago, Chuckles said:

Apologies to all in advance “hijacking” an old thread, and I hope it’s picked up by an ATC users who can give me some info, share experience . (I’m a newbie at this posting stuff)

I’m considering purchase 50asl or 100asl (budget question I hope) that will go into a new, almost finished, living area 9.5m x 6.5m x 3m ceilings.

....and Rage Against the Machine.... it will be one of the first albums spun.

queries.

1) what is the difference, apart from cabinet finish, between classic (Hilfi/domestic) and pro.  I’m lucky enough that the “Minister for the Interior” actually likes an industrial look, so this becomes largely an sq question.

2) will the 50’s fill this space without strain, at party levels if needed, I’m into all sorts music but rock and electronica are favs. (I’m likely selling my Dynaudio c1s and amps as I’m not one to stress the equipment)

3) what about 50’s with subs, I have 2x jl f110, is that worthwhile alternate to scm100. What if run with a crossover, if I can find one that won’t degrade quality, to split the low frequency from the atc..

a lot of topics there, number 1 is the key as drives the budget.

There's no difference sound quality wise between the domestic and Pro scm50 and scm100.

The rounded edge on the front baffle is built into the Pro and the rounded edge is built into the grilles on the domestic.

The Pro have two green leds on the front they turn red if speakers are overdriven never seen this happen with mine though.

The leds are also useful to remind you to turn the speakers off .

Cabinet finish is lightly textured satin black paint on the Pro vs wood finish on the domestic.

Also the domestic version comes with stands , the Pro doesn't. 

Your room size is more than big enough for 100s but as you already have two good quality subs you should also consider the 50s.

They will both play extremely loud with very low distortion.

The 50 are rated for a continuous level of 112db.

The scm100 115db continuous and these are not b.s. specs they'll play happily all day long at these levels without any any hint of strain or harshness if required.

Edited by MarkT

Having had 50’s I’d suggest for the relatively small extra expense I’d go for 100’s. The 50’s are terrific and once you wick them up relentless. I did find them a little tame at low volumes. If you can afford to keep the subs why not 100’s and subs if you find you need a little very low bass.

23 hours ago, sks said:

Hi,

I just saw this forum. I am using ATC SCM 40 Active with ATC SCA2 pre amp and Naim Nac N 272 with 555 PS DR as powersupply. I recently order ATC SCM 50 ASLT ( Rosewood colour) through my dealer who is ready to buy back 40 Active( Which is 3 months old only). I have noticed that 

1. The Preamp of SCA2 is having very high resolution.

2. The sound stage and base increases a lot when i replaced the seaker spikes with ISOACOUSTICS GAIAII.

After receiving 50 ASLT i will be interested in changing DAC to Chord Hugo TT2 or Chord DAVE . Any other good option?

I am running active 100’s with the Hugo tt2. It sounds incredible and you may find that you won’t need to use the sca2 depending on whether you need analogue inputs.

The increased transparency and speed is incredible.

On 22/07/2020 at 1:03 PM, sks said:

And you want to keep the SCA2 as well ?

If so, I would add the dCS Bartok and MSB Technology Discrete to your demo list.

The MSB would also be a fine DAC/Preamp. if you want to ditch the SCA2 & the dCS Bartok is also possible DAC/Pre. but I would strongly suggest you try it with/without the SCA2 preamp. before making a final decision. 

@sks

Dave is notoriously weak with speakers. Rockna wavedream is my pick for high end dac or the Bricasti m3/m21.

Haven't heard the newer msb dacs, not a fan of the old ones but love the select ii!

Many Thanks MarkT and gat474, great adds to my knowledge. Feel like I’m moving ahead here.

Somehow I will need to hear the alternate set ups, but I think I’m hearing; “ sell the amps, subs and c1s and buy 100pros”.  And that set probably bridges the price gap on 50s—-> 100s, and maybe a little more.

(I’m getting excited here.......the Minister for the Interior will be impressed, and as she’s also Treasurer, FBI and Audit Commitee, this upgrade might not be another purchasing offence with subsequent loss of privileges).

another couple of queries,

1) follow on question above,  MarkT, and anyone else with same set up, 50’s or 100’s.   are you running your speakers full range with the subs, or crossed over, if crossed over does this improve the capability of the main speakers ?

i understand the theory, but as always,  the practical is what you actually get.

2) I’m noting comments about driving 50’s and 100’s from DACs.

i have a psaudio directstream and wondering how that would partner direct to the speaker ?

(i have an audio research ls17se as well. But if I can simplify without loss of drive, and go completely digital, well....

Any more of the wisdom, much appreciated.

48 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

Many Thanks MarkT and gat474, great adds to my knowledge. Feel like I’m moving ahead here.

Somehow I will need to hear the alternate set ups, but I think I’m hearing; “ sell the amps, subs and c1s and buy 100pros”.  And that set probably bridges the price gap on 50s—-> 100s, and maybe a little more.

(I’m getting excited here.......the Minister for the Interior will be impressed, and as she’s also Treasurer, FBI and Audit Commitee, this upgrade might not be another purchasing offence with subsequent loss of privileges).

1) follow on question above,  MarkT, and anyone else with same set up, 50’s or 100’s.   are you running your speakers full range with the subs, or crossed over, if crossed over does this improve the capability of the main speakers ?

i understand the theory, but as always,  the practical is what you actually get.

i have a psaudio directstream and wondering how that would partner direct to the speaker ?

(i have an audio research ls17se as well. But if I can simplify without loss of drive, and go completely digital, well....

I'm an ATC dealer and long time ATC owner. IMO, you would certainly run them full range. They don't distort at LF, they just roll off. Also, the amp pack has 200W devoted to just an individual woofer so it's not like they are power starved for the low end. They will go lower than you expect if you're judging by the specs. Fair chance you won't want the subs (especially if 100As) but you can try that out before selling your subs.

I personally doubt the Directstream will do the job you want if used direct and comparing to your existing AR pre...but you can try. A select few DACs, including those mentioned here, give a speed and transparency/detail when used direct to active ATCs that is seductive, with little or no "digital glare" that is common in other DACs when used direct to amps...but that's not the norm for digital volume controls and it's also a matter of taste as a dedicated preamp adds a different type of benefit (musical/analog). Your AR pre, I'd think, is towards the other end of that scale: musical/analog over speed/detail. That's just my opinion but my advice would anyway be to keep your pre for now. Use it with/without subs to firstly decide if the subs add more than they subtract from the ATCs. Then experiment with various DACs direct (incl. your Directstream) to determine your preference on that matter.

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

@JDWest What pre-amp do you think would pair best pair with scm100 actives or 150s? Especially for those who have a preference for speed, resolution, dynamics and transient edge?

You are 100% right, the built in pres especially the digital volume controls are very mediocre (like in my wavedream signature). Perhaps the bricasti m21 is up to the task but very few high end dacs have high end pres built in.

11 minutes ago, Xecuter said:

@JDWest What pre-amp do you think would pair best pair with scm100 actives or 150s? Especially for those who have a preference for speed, resolution, dynamics and transient edge?

You are 100% right, the built in pres especially the digital volume controls are very mediocre (like in my wavedream signature). Perhaps the bricasti m21 is up to the task but very few high end dacs have high end pres built in.

That's a question I've been pondering for many years ;)

Those are the exact criteria that I value most. I use a Mola Mola Makua, which is an analog preamp into which I added the optional DAC module. IMO it is awesome in all those critera; I love it but you should know that I sell that brand so feel free to assume bias. Mostly, though, the expensive price puts people off. I previously used ATC's SCA2; very good indeed but not cheap for a preamp without DAC (add my dealer bias to that suggestion too).  

I use only one (digital) source so have no need for input switching functions and therefore really want a simpler and cheaper DAC/pre to take my fancy. Mola Mola's Tambaqui and Chord's Dave and even the more reasonably priced Hugo TT2 tempt me to the digital volume control and show me how much it has improved these last 5 years; at least amongst these more expensive DACs. 

Haven't tried Bricasti. Sadly, I have no other suggestions that I can think of at the moment. I would certainly like to be listing components at the more affordable end of the scale. Hopefully some other ATC owners will chime in.

• Like 1

When I had the Scm19 passive, in spite of being a valve junkie, it was the Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp that floated my boat.

Now I know we're discussing the big boy end of the ATC range but a full Stage 2 modded W4S could be an excellent sub $10k proposition. I guess you'd go through DeepHz Audio to set the wheels in motion for a Stage 2 order.

@JDWEST. The synergy between ATC active and ATC SCA2 pre is awesome. Even I have Naim NAC N 272 ( very mediocre streamer/ dac/ pre)with Naim 555 PSDR  power supply used with ATC 40 active and NAC N 272 with 555PSDR as Streamer/ DAC with ATC SCA2. By putting SCA2 in system the sound  totally transforms. Very high resolution, wide soundstage and depth. All instruments / voice can be pinpointed by closing eye. I am also using SoTM CAT6 special edition with isolator and SOTM CAT7 from network switch to NAC N272.

Edited by sks
  • Like 2
On 23/07/2020 at 7:32 PM, Chuckles said:

ATC advise not to split the signal with a crossover .

They say to run the speakers full range and bring in the subs underneath even with their smallest scm7.

They also recommend no dsp and to use careful speaker and sub placement and acoustic room treatment to get the best results. 

ATC active have a 10kohm input impedance so prefer preamps with a low output impedance valve pre amps usually have a high output impedance your audio research is around 700ohm so not ideal.

I use a Benchmark HPA4 Preamp with my active SCM100 ASL PRO , it is identical to the Benchmark LA4 but has a state of the art headphone amp built in.

John Atkinson of Stereophile magazine summed up his tests  by saying 

"Benchmarks LA4 is the widest bandwidth, widest dynamic range  , lowest noise , lowest distortion preamp I have encountered."

Listening to it backs up the superb measurements as it is clearly the most transparent natural and real sounding preamp I've owned .

https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-la4-line-preamplifier

• Like 2

Mark, It’s interesting you say ATC Actives prefer low output levels. My MSB Premier manual suggests high gain (150 ohm) output when not using a preamp. and going direct to power amps.  

And only to use low gain (75 ohm) when using it with a preamp. I looked at the Benchmark specs. that you have and it is a 60 ohm output. 

Looks like I have been doing it wrong for a few months ! I’ll try the low gain setting and see how it goes. What exactly is the difference do you think in using a lower gain output ? Less overload on the ATC input, better dynamic range ?

Cheers !

Edited by seadog

@seadog, mine ATC SCA2 pre output impedance is 10 ohm only. And I am getting awesome result. When am connecting ATC active to Naim directly which has 47ohm output impedance ( without using SCA2) , thre is huge performance diff. It seems ATC require minimum output impedance from pre .

The impedance matching factor is being viewed a bit narrowly by some.

For a start, ATC active input impedance is minimum 10k ohms. So any preamp with output impedance up to 2000ohms (1:5 ratio) should drive the entire frequency range of the music program into the speakers with no roll off in treble or bass output.

Impedance and gain are different things.

• 5 weeks later...
On 27/07/2020 at 3:11 PM, deanB said:

The impedance matching factor is being viewed a bit narrowly by some.

For a start, ATC active input impedance is minimum 10k ohms. So any preamp with output impedance up to 2000ohms (1:5 ratio) should drive the entire frequency range of the music program into the speakers with no roll off in treble or bass output.

Impedance and gain are different things.

These are the specs for my preamp. 

INPUT      XLR analog   RCA analog

Available    3 (L+R)           2 (L+R)

Sensitivity 2/4/8VRMS  2/4/8VRMS

Impedance 10K ohm   10K ohm

OUTPUT XLR analog   RCA analog

Available       1                        1

Impedance  75 Ω           75 Ω

Frequency response +800kHz +800kHz

Signal to noise ratio >110dB  >110dB

THD + noise > 0,01%  > 0,01%

POWER CONSUMPTION

Standby <1W

Operation 22W

VOLUME CONTROL

Type Relay controlled fixed resistor network

Gain -91,5dB to +12dB

Would that be a suitable match for the ATC SCM 50A?

Edited by Analysis
1 hour ago, Analysis said:

Would that be a suitable match for the ATC SCM 50A?

As far as impedance matching goes, yes.

What's the preamp?

On 25/08/2020 at 6:00 PM, Analysis said:

I'm using a Vitus RL-102.

That appears to be an excellent preamp and it should sound great with ATC actives.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I received ATC SCM 50 ASLT last week and replaced 40 A.  It is a nice speaker but some strange thing happened. On second day after  installation  of speaker when i switched on the speaker( from main switch) , some creaking sound came from one speaker  so i switched it off. After some time when i switched on again , noticed that the tower speaker from which creaking sound was coming is playing well but noticed that base is not coming from woofer and when i placed hand on heat sink/ amp it was too hot . I cannot keep it for 5 seconds. So contacted ATC.  They confirmed that it was failed bass channel of amp due to which woofer is also gone. Now they are sending woofer and Amp pack pre alligned with my speaker sr no. I will receive the same within one or two days.I will have to  send back the original  amp pack and woofer to ATC for their analysis.

My query is whether the pre aligned amp pack will match with my other tower speaker?. I am very disturbed with this issue.

Edited by sks

@sks, it will be a suitable match for your other speaker. Depending on how old your speakers are maybe the new bass driver will need to do a little running to settle in but in reality I doubt you would notice.

If you are concerned contact Atc just to make sure. 

@sks  Don't worry, ATC keep records of the test response data for each and every speaker/driver they make and that data is sorted by serial number. For example, when assembling your pair of  50ASLTs, they used the response data of their stock of 9" SL woofers to pick a pair of woofers for you that match each other best in terms of their frequency response. They can now simply access that data from the serial number you gave them to select another woofer that matches the surviving one in your pair.

I kinda doubt we'd notice the difference if ATC didn't go to such length to match pairs but it's a great service that I imagine their pro customers appreciate.

A few years after buying my first pair of 100As, I decided to buy 3 more to create a 5.1 surround system. ATC asked me for the serial numbers of my existing pair so they could match the next 3 that they would build for me with my originals. I love that. 😀

Cheers,

John

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Looking at buying 100 ASLT in the very near future. Wondering about the wood options. I see rose wood is available with a range of other colours, then my dealer has advised me gloss is an option then the premium veneers are a fair bit more.

I was hoping to get the 100aslt in the burl that was on show at the melb audio show but the price is, very steep for a veneer. The rosewood is not a premium option is it? Just a standard wood?

The gloss is just black or white?

Also wondering on best preamp options under 10k. I have a rockna wavedream signature balanced which has decent vol control but something like a good ARC would probably be a bit better.

Al

The ATC website has standard veneer options if you click each box it will show a larger pic with the name.

So it looks like:

Std:

Maple

Oak

Black Ash

Cherry

Walnut

Extra:

Rosewood

Pippyoak

I assume you can get almost any veneer you want, incl. white and gloss black etc.  but it will cost you..........

Talk to the Guys at Sonic Purity (the Importers of ATC) they will steer you right. Be careful with ARC, I “think “ is a mismatch with active ATC for some reason.

• Like 1

Honestly, it it was me, I would go for the MSB Discrete DAC/Streamer/preamp that’s for sale on here now. 

But that’s me, you might not like the MSB sound etc.

Rockna is my preferred DAC tbh. and the msb pre-amp is similar level to rockna level.

Even the select ii internal pre-amp is not that great. select ii is only dac I prefer more than my rockna