ATC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Misterioso

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 10th pair of Atc’s and I’d say my last.

Well my poor old Vienna’s, which I have really enjoyed for a number of years, have been well and truly retired.   

I'll join in ?

12 minutes ago, Xecuter said:

lot's of bass nulls, room is largely untreated?

Yes, I spent a lot of time experimenting with different positions, but I don't have bass traps.

At the listening position the bass sounds fast and without additional lingering.

• Like 2

yeh that 10db null will be fairly audible though, should build some big DIY traps. I built some last year and cost me about $400 but sorted a similar null I had in a 4.5x4 metre room with high ceiling.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Xecuter said:

yeh that 10db null will be fairly audible though, should build some big DIY traps. I built some last year and cost me about $400 but sorted a similar null I had in a 4.5x4 metre room with high ceiling.

I don't have that flexibility in my room at the moment, maybe one day when it doesn't double as a living room.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@MarkT your setup looks great! C4 sub? What stands are you using? Very cool minimalist setup...

Question for active owners...

What’s  your experience with different mains leads?

I haven’t tried anything expensive... just generic iec’s of various quality and different thickness. I can’t say I heard any difference between them. Are Atc’s sensitive to expensive type leads?
The reason I ask is because I will be rewiring the entire system following some extensive reshaping of my room. (L shaped room is now gone and is now more of a rectangle. Will be interesting to see how the sound changes!)

I will be making leads myself to tidy up the mass of unsightly excess wire.

I’m wondering if shielded mains cable are worth trying? I don’t believe I have had any issues with rfi/emi...

So I’m thinking that there is no need to go crazy with expensive wire/leads or shielded wire but want to hear of other people’s experiences.

My 50’s seem to be generally unperturbed by mains issues (unlike my Jl subs). However the sound does sound a bit different late at night so I’m thinking the power supplies may also react to a change of mains lead. 
At certain times of the day the Jl’s mains filter caps buzz wildly in sympathy to the different mains distortion throughout the day as the loads change. This was thankfully fixed by DC blockers and thankfully covered by warranty as they are $800 each! Didn’t expect that from an expensive sub. The Atc’s... totally silent without the DC blockers.
Look forward to any responses.

10 hours ago, Nickynick said:

@MarkT your setup looks great! C4 sub? What stands are you using? Very cool minimalist setup...

Question for active owners...

What’s  your experience with different mains leads?

I haven’t tried anything expensive... just generic iec’s of various quality and different thickness. I can’t say I heard any difference between them. Are Atc’s sensitive to expensive type leads?
The reason I ask is because I will be rewiring the entire system following some extensive reshaping of my room. (L shaped room is now gone and is now more of a rectangle. Will be interesting to see how the sound changes!)

I will be making leads myself to tidy up the mass of unsightly excess wire.

I’m wondering if shielded mains cable are worth trying? I don’t believe I have had any issues with rfi/emi...

So I’m thinking that there is no need to go crazy with expensive wire/leads or shielded wire but want to hear of other people’s experiences.

My 50’s seem to be generally unperturbed by mains issues (unlike my Jl subs). However the sound does sound a bit different late at night so I’m thinking the power supplies may also react to a change of mains lead. 
At certain times of the day the Jl’s mains filter caps buzz wildly in sympathy to the different mains distortion throughout the day as the loads change. This was thankfully fixed by DC blockers and thankfully covered by warranty as they are $800 each! Didn’t expect that from an expensive sub. The Atc’s... totally silent without the DC blockers.
Look forward to any responses.

Thanks .

Yeah it's an ATC C4 sub , well spotted.

I made the stands myself they weigh around 30kg a nice solid support for the active SCM20.

I've tried various different mains cables with my active SCM100 both shielded and unshielded some cheap and some crazy expensive (ps audio statement) after much wasted time and money I found they make no difference imo.

@MarkT Thanks for the reply.

That’s very reassuring to hear about their immunity to different mains leads. It makes my job of rewiring simpler and certainly cheaper!

Great job on the stands! They look nicely proportioned. Do you do commissions? Would love to get some stands similar to sound anchors for the 50’s. 

• 1 month later...

About to get my hands on a pair of SCM50ASL Classic from the nice guys at Sonic Purity.

I cannot wait to set them up and see how they go vs the ATC 40A that I have since moved on.

Will post again once  they arrive and all is set up.

Edited by seadog
  • Like 2

Fantastic! You are in for a treat. 
Looking forward to hearing about your experience with them. I wonder how different they’ll be to the 40’s?

Oh yes, cannot wait to set them up !

I did an extensive in store demo. last year at the Melbourne show room.  I was quite frankly amazed with the 50A and what they could do for such a reasonably compact speaker.

Well, they have arrived !!!!!

Thank God I got the 50A and NOT the 100A.

They only just squeezed trough my front door in the shipping cartons and up a flight of stairs, that dog legged to a second set of steps. Otherwise it was an unboxing and carry them up scenario............. And my back hurt ls like hell after moving them as it was.........

Same with final position, it’s very clear the 100A would have been far, far too much speaker for the area I have.

I’ll let them power up over a few days and run in a bit before I post my sound quality thoughts.

But first off the bat, the build quality is a level or two above the 40A. No surprise there I guess, the price reflects that. They don’t look that big in pictures, but they are in person. 

A huge shout out to Warwick & Rom at Sonic Purity for being such an absolute pleasure to deal with and sending via a courier who treated my purchase with care and for a very reasonable price.

And another shout out to their Rep. in WA, John at Sublime HiFi who I had the pleasure of hosting me for a few demonstrations at his superb demo. room.

Those active 150’s sent chills up my spine John !

0204B8E9-64A9-4FDE-9746-2E9398BAA703.jpeg

05E40E2B-22C3-4A7E-B886-926EAFFF9824.jpeg

2757C904-D1ED-4B6B-ADBB-23104C49C199.jpeg

520A5AA9-B8E1-40B1-806C-1432E63FBE15.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Msb and atc scm50 asl! What a system!!

How big is the room exactly? Curious about how much space one actually needs for the 100 or 150?

12 minutes ago, seadog said:

Well, they have arrived !!!!!

Thank God I got the 50A and NOT the 100A.

They only just squeezed trough my front door in the shipping cartons and up a flight of stairs, that dog legged to a second set of steps. Otherwise it was an unboxing and carry them up scenario............. And my back hurt ls like hell after moving them as it was.........

Same with final position, it’s very clear the 100A would have been far, far too much speaker for the area I have.

I’ll let them power up over a few days and run in a bit before I post my sound quality thoughts.

But first off the bat, the build quality is a level or two above the 40A. No surprise there I guess, the price reflects that. They don’t look that big in pictures, but they are in person. 

A huge shout out to Warwick & Rom at Sonic Purity for being such an absolute pleasure to deal with and sending via a courier who treated my purchase with care and for a very reasonable price.

And another shout out to their Rep. in WA, John at Sublime HiFi who I had the pleasure of hosting me for a few demonstrations at his superb demo. room.

Those active 150’s sent chills up my spine John !

0204B8E9-64A9-4FDE-9746-2E9398BAA703.jpeg

05E40E2B-22C3-4A7E-B886-926EAFFF9824.jpeg

2757C904-D1ED-4B6B-ADBB-23104C49C199.jpeg

520A5AA9-B8E1-40B1-806C-1432E63FBE15.jpeg

Congrats Seadog, they look great mate!

BTW you have plenty of room for 100’s ?

Let me know when your ready to upgrade ?

• Like 1

Yeah it’s a 8 x 4 m open plan lounge/dinning room with a kitchen area off to the side. So another 3mx3m there.

But I have to have the set up along the long wall and that only leaves me 2.5m from chair to speakers distance wise. With about 30-40cm  space behind the speakers to play with. The 100’s would seriously compress that space even more, as well as compress the speaker to speaker width too. 

Well, that and the extra $$$$$$$ to get to the 100’s .........

Yes, the cables need tidying up !

• Like 2

Still playing around with toe in and distance to the back wall.

However, I had a decent listen tonight at some tracks I know well. Some dot point thoughts of the 50A vs the 40A:

• Much better dynamic range, volume on my MSB Premier can go down a notch or two for the same impact/ listening level.
  • Much better soundstage width and depth. 
  • Bass / mid bass punches harder, for example Phil Rudd on Highway to Hell - the snare drum just punches so hard and doesn’t let up. Was much more subdued with the 40A.
  • More insight and detail in the midrange, not even close this......
  • Vocals off the charts good. Like really good........... Johnny Cash more life like and that deep rich vocal range he has is more enjoyable now,

Overall well worth the change up to the 50A. 

TBH it seems like a combination of the bigger and better quality bass driver and better quality mid and tweeter as well as that extra 110W of active amp. power in each speaker that makes all the difference.

Edited by seadog
  • Like 2

Great to hear your thoughts Seadog, I bet they were worth the wait!

No doubt they will improve over the next few months of settling in to their new home ?

Yes they look great...well done! I'm sure you are going to be very happy with them. What wood finish are they?

Glad to hear that the 50's are a good step up...I did consider the 40's and actually prefer their looks...but its not about that after all.

I found that my pair took a while to loosen up and get the best bass out of them...and still improving incrementally.

Out of interest what feet do you have under the stands? Do they make much difference? Have you tried with and without yet?

Cheers, yes I’ll let them settle in before I mess around with toe in and the final placement fine tuning.

I am honestly blown away with how good they are. They are an end game level speaker for me. They are that good.

Can I add that the way Warwick & Rom at Sonic Purity and John over here in Perth have conducted themselves in a 100% professional and non pushy way through the whole process was just amazing.

I had paid a deposit for a long time until I had all the funds organized on my end and they understood & held the speakers for me and worked with me to finally conduct the purchase.

True gentleman. 

They are in a beautiful Walnut finish. It’s a standard finish now, so no extra cost for that.

I had a set of Isoacoustics GAIA 2 from the 40A and used them again.

But they are rated up to 54kg only, and I am right on the limits with that now with the weight of speakers and the stand.

Might inquire about the GAIA 1 and if that’s the way to go later. Not tried the supplied spikes. 

Edited by seadog
  • Like 2

A blast from the past.

My "ATC" system back in 1989 with a Krell KSA50.

They're Proac Studio 3 , but are ATC SCM50 copies really with just a different tweeter and port position.

I " upgraded" to Duntech crown Prince after these , a step backward in hindsight.

20200620_101204.jpg

Edited by MarkT
On 18/06/2020 at 9:29 PM, seadog said:
  • Vocals off the charts good. Like really good........... Johnny Cash more life like and that deep rich vocal range he has is more enjoyable now,

The vocal quality is great for sure. The lack of overhang or smear in the bass no doubt assists with deep male vocals like Cash's.

I don't know why ATC isn't more popular with people who love listening to acoustic and vocal dominated music. 

After getting the SCM100's I became infatuated with acoustic bass and vocal recordings - Musica Nuda and similar. Never heard acoustic bass reproduced so well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've paid the entry fee and have rejoined the ATC club. I was a passive member last time around, this time I'm going active.

Don't spare the horses, driver!

IMG_3963~2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, deanB said:

Well, I've paid the entry fee and have rejoined the ATC club. I was a passive member last time around, this time I'm going active.

Don't spare the horses, driver!

IMG_3963~2.jpg

Well done !

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, MarkT said:

Well done !

Thanks Mark. 

The burning question is which album gets first crack?

2 minutes ago, deanB said:

Thanks Mark. 

The burning question is which album gets first crack?

My vote goes for Rage Against The Machine first album ?

• Like 3

Nice one !
ATC and active, just like ice cream and sprinkles. It’s just works and was meant to be together.

Enjoy !

Edited by seadog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 05/07/2020 at 10:15 PM, Xecuter said:

It's on the SNA front page. But holy heck do these look good..

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/2020/07/product-launch-scm150aslt-le/

Just gorgeous

They look great but a very steep premium over the standard  SCM150ASLT.

ATC fans with deep pockets are spoilt for choice with the 150's - I believe there are now 5 different active versions (assuming the EL150 is still being built to order):

Classic 150ASL, 150ASLT, 150SE, 150ASLT LE, EL150

ATC-SCM150-Classic.png.d018c1a58e69f7f97201704c85777892.png

ATC-SCM-150T-pair.png.42256afc66937a2505d85e7770ac1358.png

ATC-150SE-front-3-4.thumb.jpg.db461641f95ebb26f878fe20f99909ab.jpg

45-Deg-SCM150ASLT-LE-2019.jpg.690b9d0a972cd18770377029b4083747.jpgEL150-SLP-speaker.png.53fa1669d8500dd10da5411c1e04c84f.png

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 3

Personally, I kind of like the look of the standard 150ASLT - the built in amps on the SE version (not the LE) do look classy though.....but that 'brow'.?

SCM50SE pic below.

scm50se-black-gloss-2.jpg.32f3eb3ae645484e7d40b154ef6fe5af.jpg

14 minutes ago, Tobes said:

Personally, I kind of like the look of the standard 150ASLT - the built in amps on the SE version (not the LE) do look classy though.....but that 'brow'.?

SCM50SE pic below.

I don't like the brow either , looks dumb.

Here's a pic of John the WA ATC dealers  SCM150 ASLT.

Phone pic doesn't do them justice though , they're much darker with a lovely grain.

20180707_132323.jpg

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

Yeah, that brow.

But the SE version is an interesting beast as the sides are subtly curved.

I reckon in the 'flesh' it would look really nice, that black is pretty sexy. 

The SE gets the fully discrete amps as well (like the P6 used with the LE).

However I think the price is around the same as the LE version - so depends if you want the amps integrated or seperate. The P6 needs the special ATC wiring harness (tri-wire speaker cable with Lemo connectors) which detracts from the simplicity of a traditional ATC active setup. 

This pic shows the cabinet curve on the SE:

619atc_bac.thumb.jpg.0990d50607ac8242c17b71ae5ab70a7a.jpg

Curious why they made the SCM150ASLT LE cabinet so much taller.

The different proportions are very obvious when you compare to the standard 150ASLT.

The images below are the same width and the black driver baffles the same size, but you can see the LE is much taller - about 291mm difference according to specs, though the plinth on the LE probably accounts for some of that

Since they are both 150's I assume the working cabinet volume is the same - i.e. 150 litres.

150le.jpg.0365f3dd7403c9d6a737b96174d68ab7.jpg150aslt.jpg.f5afba024f7ec144a2adf8ac9a00928b.jpg

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 2

I'm just about to sign up for a pair of active 50's or 100's.   If anyone's looking for a pair of mint active 40's keep your eye out as I'll be putting them up for sale in a little while.

With the ATC SCM150ASL PRO there are six different versions of active SCM150 available.

SCM150A-Pro-30DEG-Reflection (2).png

Edited by MarkT