Guest Misterioso

ATC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

18 minutes ago, Nickynick said:

I agree, it seems that they built the speaker(s) around the amazing mid dome unit. Its a really wonderful driver.

So for me at least, having subs really brought the best out of the 50asl’s. It struck me most hearing reverbs of large halls... with the subs on, you seem to be in a much larger space. I guess this is what people mean by scale.

Would love to hear what the 100’s and 150s can do... how about the 300’s? Anyone heard those? Phew!

@deanB that’s a really good point about recalibrating. Could ‘burn in’ actually be the same thing? My ears seem to hear differently after living with them for a while.

@JohnL Did the pavers themselves make a big difference or does the correct height make more of a difference? This may be the cheap alternative to sound anchors...

One good thing is that the supplied stands slide around relatively easily on carpet!

The height was what made the BIG difference..............I doubt using pavers hurt though. 

I was also surprised by the quite audible differences between I/C's and AC cables too.

Like you I also use a couple of subs ( 15" Velo's) with my Anniversary SCM 70ASL's for the really deep stuff. 

A set of EL 150's would still do me quite nicely though!!!!

Edited by JohnL

3 hours ago, lusk said:

Its how they are designed, they are not tuned to go real low.  They have to match a 15"/12"/10" woofer up to a mid dome that doesn't go as low as a standard cone driver.

FWIW..........9"........😉

Edited by JohnL

Just came back from an hour audition with the ATC 100 Actives. the tone was awesome. the mids range & vocals just amazing with a big sound stage. imo very similar sound stage to the Cornwall III.

i think looking at these 100s now the 150s maybe too big for the room(s) they will be in.

Floor stands or classics? But still have another set of speakers to listen to before i decide.

I listened to the 100s a few days ago in the PMG showroom - they really sounded big, but my impression was that this was strongly  aided by the room treatment geared to bring out this effect. Very good imaging, but tonally they weren't my thing. I felt that highs had a tendency to sound sibilant and lows had a bit too much harmonics to my liking. Mids were really the strongest point. 

The floor standers look much classier, but the price difference would be hard to swallow.

2 hours ago, PleasantSounds said:

I listened to the 100s a few days ago in the PMG showroom - they really sounded big, but my impression was that this was strongly  aided by the room treatment geared to bring out this effect. Very good imaging, but tonally they weren't my thing. I felt that highs had a tendency to sound sibilant and lows had a bit too much harmonics to my liking. Mids were really the strongest point. 

The floor standers look much classier, but the price difference would be hard to swallow.

Not sure how you "gear" a rooms treatment to sound big............but sounds like something my smallish loungeroom could use!!!!!

Sounds to me like problems with the partnering equipment as ATC's just give you what you feed them. 

It's their total lack of coloration that many consider one of their finest virtues. 

Maybe you and GENKIFD should compare notes as you both seem to have had opposite experiences!!!!

FWIW.........the new ATC tweets are widely very well regarded and  the ones in GAT474's SCM 40A's sounded beautifully smooth to me.

Also AFAIK one of the reasons Super Linear tech was introduced to their bass drivers was to prevent potential harmonics issues.

Edited by JohnL

16 minutes ago, JohnL said:

Not sure how you "gear" a rooms treatment to sound big............but sounds like something my smallish loungeroom could use!!!!!

Sounds to me like problems with the partnering equipment as ATC's just give you what you feed them. 

Maybe you and GENKIFD should compare notes as you both seem to have had opposite experiences!!!!

FWIW.........the new ATC tweets are widely very well regarded and  the ones in GAT474's SCM 40A's sounded beautifully smooth to me.

Also AFAIK one of the reasons Super Linear tech was introduced to their bass drivers was to prevent potential harmonics issues.

I agree...except that my first thought was to wonder about the test tracks being played. I think of a few of my favourite tracks that have more sibilance than I would like but my ATCs will simply reveal that and also the reveal lack of sibilance on other tracks.

Regarding the bass, it is tight...comes and goes quickly...as it should IMO, providing the recording/mastering didn't alter that.  Now that can lead some people to find ATCs a bit bass shy. "Too much harmonics"[in low end] makes me think that the opposite was experienced during this demo. Something in the recording or outside of the ATCs is my guess...but that's just IMO and YMMV etc. We all like what we like and don't need to justify that.

Cheers,

John

only thing it may have been missing was the low bass punch - but then again the albums i had listened to on the day didnt comprise of notes much in this region. 

sibilant - didnt hear any.  just sounded right to me. all it needed imo was a little more punch in the lower region. this could be the room.  

I cant remember where is read it. Classics and floor stands ATC indicated sound exactly the same. so im leaning towards the Classics to save some money to put into areas of need (preamp).

Edited by genkifd

I remember putting Puscifer's Indigo Children track on @JDWest old 100a Classics. He turned up the wick and those 20 year old speakers put on an exhibition of bass speed and power the likes of which I'd never experienced in a domestic setting.

My equilibrium was thrown out of wack and I felt slightly drugged as I drove home half an hour later. 

Magnificent stuff!

is there are maximum / recommended room size for the ATC 100s and the 150s?

as my room size is approximately 80m3 vol.

Not sure if I have missed a price adjustment with ATC but I noted that Sonic Purity & The Sound Gallery both advertising ATC SCM40 A’s at $12,500 compared to 2016 pricing of $15,998. Tremendous value unless, as I say, I have have missed something.

A Scm40 passive is $7k so for another $5.5k you get a tri amp pack per speaker that's virtually the same output as the P2 power amp plus active crossover and phase compensation. With a 6 year warranty.

I fudged around for ages trying to get the right amp for the scm19. Next time I'll be going 19 active.

8 hours ago, deanB said:

A Scm40 passive is $7k so for another $5.5k you get a tri amp pack per speaker that's virtually the same output as the P2 power amp plus active crossover and phase compensation. With a 6 year warranty.

I fudged around for ages trying to get the right amp for the scm19. Next time I'll be going 19 active.

Dean, what amp did you finally decide on?

I currently run SCM40 Mk1 passive with a Gryphon Atilla integrated amp. Other than some current room acoustic issues I really enjoy the combo but the active setup gets universal praise and am considerate of upgrading either new or second hand.

6 yr warranty is attractive also.

Well, long story short, of all the amps I tried the ATC SPA2-150 was (objectively) the best match.

But being a stubborn valve amp tragic, I kept going in that direction, eventually admitted defeat and sold the 19's for more efficient speakers.

Had some great fun with the 19's though, 8-12 hour sessions were regular events . I don't often quote Stereophile but they described the Scm19 v2 as all the speaker that most of us will ever need and I kinda got what they meant. Sound great with any type of music and are tough as old boots. 

I've had a decent listen to the 40 mk2 powered by the ATC P1 amp, that was pretty special. I'd imagine your Gryphon would give the 40's everything they need.

Edited by deanB

Merry Xmas gents. I'm still chasing an atc scm100aslt. Was wondering if any dealers might be doing boxing day sales? Most of the atc dealers don't have newsletters or deals as far as I can see.

In both the 5m x 5m and 6m x 4.3m rooms mentioned I'd try to see if the SCM50 would be good enough. I'd run even a SCM19 up to 4m x 4m.

Just found this thread. Anyone here had the ATC40A and upgraded to a Classic 50 active ?

Just trying to get a read on what to expect if I did move up to the 50A. 

Significantly better or ........... would I need to go to the 100A to notice a significant change from what I have.

They need to fit in an existing area of 8m x 4m room , with the speaker along the long wall & only about >40cm room behind the speakers to play with.  Distance speakers to listening position  will be around 3m -not possible to give  any more than that. 

So a pretty restrictive area, the 40A I have now is just fine , bass light I guess , but I expected when I got them. The specs. say -6db at 48hz.  I am just after more of the same  ATC goodness - but with more bass depth/punch and/or a bigger more dynamic range if possible.

Edited by seadog

ive heard the older Classic 50s and the current 100A - the current 100A imo has the mid range magic while the older 50 did not. the current 50, 100 and 150 use the same tweeter and mid range drivers only the bass driver is different.

the higher you go with the ATC the more meaty the bass becomes. Not necessarily lower but fuller.

Ah, righto,  cheers for that. 

I forgot to say, they have to fit in a 2.5m wide space too.  

Upon reflection, it looks like I am restricted to the Classic 50A. As the 100 is another 10cm wider on each speaker than the 50A. That will really eat into the speaker (perceived) soundstage I wager.

i think the Classic 50 actives is a extremely nice speaker. if you love the ATC sound the 50A will not disappoint.