Guest Misterioso

ATC Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Misterioso

I am doing some research on (active) ATC speakers and thought I just open an "owners and discussion thread", given that none seems to exist.

Can someone educate me why the drivers in the SCM50/100/150 models are aligned asymmetrically? Is this some sort of time alignment? How should these speakers be set up? Tweeters inside or outside? 

Also, it seems the "Classic" (hifi) versions of these monitors come with stands, while the "Pro" versions come without, is this correct? There are also tower versions of these speakers, which don't need extra stands, but it seems they are not available down under. I might be wrong. 

Finally, has anyone had a chance to compare the latest versions of the SCM50 ASL and SCM100 ASL speakers? Do they differ in anything else than their ability to play loud and go deep?

@PureMusicGroup: Happy to see that you took over the local distribution. Are you planning to demo any ATC speakers at the Melbourne hifi show? If so, would you be happy to reveal which models? 

Thanks!

@gat474

After you......................................................😀

Regards Cazzesman

You set them up with tweeters inside.

And yes the classic domestic version comes with stands the pro version doesn't. 

The active 100's go lower in the bass and also will play louder without distortion or any feeling of being stressed at all.

The active 50 play plenty loud enough though and are are a better option if you have a small room.

Glad to see someone has started an ATC owners thread 👍

I haven’t had the opportunity to listen to a pair of 50’s but do own a pair of early 100’s. 

From the user manual it states.

The dome and tweeter are offset to one side, in small rooms they should be on the inside and in large ones the outside.

Guest Misterioso
14 minutes ago, Conch said:

Glad to see someone has started an ATC owners thread 👍

I haven’t had the opportunity to listen to a pair of 50’s but do own a pair of early 100’s. 

From the user manual it states.

The dome and tweeter are offset to one side, in small rooms they should be on the inside and in large ones the outside.

Ahh yes, I should have checked the manual first. That's interesting. Seems the idea is to prevent reflections from side walls. The assumption is probably that speakers will be placed sufficiently far away from side walls in large rooms. 

Guest Misterioso
1 hour ago, MarkT said:

And yes the classic domestic version comes with stands the pro version doesn't.

That's a strong argument for the classic version given about equal pricing and the trouble to source decent speaker stands down under. The only issue that speaks against the classic version is that they are designed to be used with grills. I like to see the drivers.

Edited by Misterioso

Yeah I like to see the drivers too.

Had to buy a pair of Sound Anchor stands from the USA for my Pro version scm100's , cost a pretty penny with shipping.

Edited by MarkT

I'd better start by declaring that I'm the ATC dealer in WA. I have also owned ATC speakers since 1996 when I bought a pair of 100 actives...so feel free to assume I'm biased for one reason or the other. 😉

The tweeter and midrange driver are offset to reduce distortion by having different distances to the side edges of the baffle. The grill that fits around the baffle, has rounded edges to further reduce edge diffraction. 

In practice, the effects of grill on or grill off are quite subtle and owners are split about which they prefer sound-wise. As for tweeters in vs tweeters out, however, that change can be huge.  @Misterioso I think you have it correct about distances to side walls. In a room that is nearly 10m long but only 4m wide, my current 150As and previous 100As sounded far better with tweeters inwards. Id recommend that as the default orientation.

All of the domestic models, including towers are available in Australia.  Apart from cabinet size and woofer size, the 50s/100s/150s are identical.  The domestic models come with a quality wood veneer as standard. The professional models do not. Construction of the cabinets for domestic models is outsourced to a manufacturer of high end furniture. I have read that ATC build the cabinets for professional models themselves. The baffles of the professional models have a kind of "cut-out" that is visible and is intended for an alternative tweeter position if the monitors will be placed on their sides.

Cheers,

JD

18 hours ago, Misterioso said:

@PureMusicGroup: Happy to see that you took over the local distribution. Are you planning to demo any ATC speakers at the Melbourne hifi show? If so, would you be happy to reveal which models? 

Thanks!

Hi All,

Great to see plenty of interest and discussion on the ATC products. We are very pleased to be working with such a great company and hope re-invigorate the brand here with more of the visibility/audibility it deserves!

Thankyou @JDWest for your contribution/answers above - WA folks be sure to get in touch with John for anything ATC related. 

@Misterioso - We will certainly be there with ATC at the Melbourne Hifi Show (18th-20th October). We will be demonstrating a pair of SCM100 ASLT(Active Tower) in a rather special finish. Come and visit us in "Lake Room 4"!

Guest Misterioso
2 minutes ago, PureMusicGroup said:

We will certainly be there with ATC at the Melbourne Hifi Show (18th-20th October). We will be demonstrating a pair of SCM100 ASLT(Active Tower) in a rather special finish. Come and visit us in "Lake Room 4"!

That's great news! I will be there. Thanks for your response.

Bedroom babies !

20191022_081551.jpg

20191022_081219.jpg

Edited by MarkT

On 16/09/2019 at 10:43 AM, Guest Misterioso said:

That's a strong argument for the classic version given about equal pricing and the trouble to source decent speaker stands down under. The only issue that speaks against the classic version is that they are designed to be used with grills. I like to see the drivers.

The grills do provide some peace of mind.

Keeping those drivers out of sight can keep curious fingers away from the delicate mid/tweeter domes. My kids are adults (supposedly), but even adults get curious.😉

I always keep the grills on my SCM100's when listening - I think they sound a bit smoother and I don't hear any down side - I think in a treated room you'll notice the difference. With the grills on I find them less physically obtrusive too.

The grills slip on/off easily if you want to ogle the drivers.

Sexy pics of naked ATC drivers and rounded edge baffle on the Pro monitor versions.

The rounded edge is as previously mentioned built into the grilles on the domestic monitors.

20191025_125852.jpg

20191025_131724.jpg

ive previously auditioned the older passive ATC 100 as found them good but wasnt the speaker for me. but when visited the recent Melbourne Hifi show the Active ATC 100 had a sparkle that i liked which the previous pair didnt.

sent a couple of emails to the melbourne dealer but he has yet to respond. 

11 minutes ago, genkifd said:

ive previously auditioned the older passive ATC 100 as found them good but wasnt the speaker for me. but when visited the recent Melbourne Hifi show the Active ATC 100 had a sparkle that i liked which the previous pair didnt.

sent a couple of emails to the melbourne dealer but he has yet to respond. 

I often find hifi dealers here slow to respond to emails , best to ring and talk in person.