ATC Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Misterioso

ATC SIA2-150 should be a safe and VFM choice actually, for 6k it's hard to find an integrated that can grip the 19 well unless you're going for used.

FYI,  in my earlier experience with the 19, it needs at least 200 hrs to be "listenable" and a good 500 hrs to fully run in.

Is Jeffrey showroom now at The Central?

Driving my little SCM 11 in my little room is my faithful McCormack DNA 1 Rev A with R1 board (2001).  These power hungry speakers need to be pushed up to a certain volume before they show their true colours. 

naimster:

Resolution has shifted their showroom to The Central (Clark Quay MRT). It is still works-in-progress at the moment but they do entertain customers. As for the amplifier, it would seem like I have to wait for the upgrade. I thought I could get a decent 100+ watter for around $3-$4 that could drive the speakers better.

wyaw:

I think they have that pair of speakers on demo in their showroom at the moment. I did not inquire about the price though.

Anywhere in sing to audit the active Scm50sl? Does it comes in black piano finish? Thx in advance.

Spoke to Jeffrey yesterday.

They have the SCM50 & 100 on demo; not sure what others they have on demo though.

They do have the SCM50 in piano black finish; a special edition of the SCM50 - costs quite a bit more.

Hello everyone,

I too was a proud owner of an ATC SCM40. I am an Indian, just relocated to Singapore for work. I sold my entire setup just before leaving India because it was not practical to carry the whole setup around with me. I was driving the SCM40 with Symphonic Line amplifier. It is not a very popular amplifier outside Germany but those who know this company they know that SL amps are absolute gems. They are one of the most neutral yet musical amplifiers ever produced. I was fortunate to have an ATC speaker paired with it. Prior to ATC I was using a Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE. Coming from the Dynaudio world I actually thought I know a lot about sound until the day I first heard ATC. Incidentally my first exposure to ATC happened 3 years back, when I had visited Singapore just to explore and listen to various speakers available here. Harbeth was literally playing on my mind 24/7 :). I spent 5 days here listening to all the speakers I could afford in Adelphi at that time. Thankfully on day 1 iteself I heard the ATC SCM11 at Audio88 and it was a pleasant shock to me. I immediately knew that I have an upgrade over my 1.3SE. In the next 4 days I tried really hard to find another speaker which can beat the SCM11. My budget at that time was SGD 5k. But none of the speaker could convince me the way ATC did with absolute neutrality and tonal accuracy. I then decided to take the leap and went for the SCM40 straight away. All I can say is, not just have I derieved timeless pleasure from my setup in the last 3 years but I also learnt what is exactly my kind of sound. Selecting my gears from now on will be rather easy simply because I have been trained to choose the right from the wrong by those ATCs. I feel armed in that regard.  I think it is a common trait with any ATC owner.

It is also a great feeling when you talk to another ATC owner/lover. You both know what exactly you are talking. If one ATC guy says that some equipment or recording is very good the other guy instantly knows it must be really good. That is the kind of foundation ATC lays down for its listeners. I do not know of any other brand of equipments which has such qualities. Symphonic Line follows a similar line of approach but ATC is the Boss !!

At present I dont have any setup in Singapore. Just starting to build one. This time I want to start with a good turntable. Looking at EMT and Thorens. Could not get auditions as yet, lets see how it goes. My dream is to drive an ATC with a top quality tube amp, something like the CAT JL2 or an Octave V80  8)

An absolute pleasure to meet all you ATC fans.

Hello Pani, good to hear from another ATC fanboy. Your story sounds familiar. Were you the one who posted some questions on harbeth and ATC during then in audio asylum?

ya ya, I was the one. Did you reply to that thread ? How do you remember it even after 3 years ?

probably because the 19 was new while the 11 amd 40 in his shop were old and fully broken in I could not like the 19 as much as the other two. I could appreciate its stronger sense of neutrality and especiallly the bass definition but the fluidity was not there. I was scared to buy a 19.

probably because the 19 was new while the 11 amd 40 in his shop were old and fully broken in I could not like the 19 as much as the other two. I could appreciate its stronger sense of neutrality and especiallly the bass definition but the fluidity was not there. I was scared to buy a 19.

If you get then to hook up juicier amps or amps that has higher current, only then you can hear true 19 potential. And yes, when new they are unlistenable.

Thanks for asserting that naimster. I was guessing that. However I am happy to have owned an ATC with that famed midrange driver. The feeling that you are listening to one of the world's best midrange reproduction is something ethereal. The audiophile friends who visited my place in the last couple of years had varied comments. The guys who owned electrostats felt that the ATC midrange is very close to that of electrostats, the guys who own horns felt that the speakers sounded like their horns and obviously the guys with simple dynamic speakers admired it no end. The possible comprison left out was with a good single driver implementation. However, the point I am trying to make is, that midrange driver is simply magical and really doesnt have a limitation that I know of. I know ATC has even a higher grade of the midrange driver which is there on the SCM50 and above. Would love to listen to that breed as well.

Listened to the ATC SCM20SL (passive floorstander). Very nice, incredible bass.

That's what I am using now. Nice indeed... The 19 had to go even though it's already very good.  20 in a different level even though same driver. The cabinets are more robust and the tweeters are more natural sounding.