ATC Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Misterioso

Guest larevoj

Bro, 'defecting' sounds like severing all ties!!

In all honesty I do have a soft spot for Dynaudio particularly my Focus 110. Its an amazing small volume speaker and it punch why above its size and it kept getting better every time I introduce new tweaks into my system. I am going to take it slow in finding the right pair of speaker... ;)

The SCM20SL sensitivity is about 84 dB and dips to about 4 ohm at 2 to 4 KHz. Would be interesting to have a listen with a beefier amp.  ;D

LOL..20 sensitivity shld be 83dB. From what I know it's quite a stable load but because of it's low sensitivity it's still a pain to drive.  I have heard it in active and passive modes with high power amp...More power means a more effortless presentation....that's my observation. While I could get away with a 80watter in my room, I got not much headroom...go too loud can still feel a bit of strain but still acceptable to my ears.

Bro, 'defecting' sounds like severing all ties!!

In all honesty I do have a soft spot for Dynaudio particularly my Focus 110. Its an amazing small volume speaker and it punch why above its size and it kept getting better every time I introduce new tweaks into my system. I am going to take it slow in finding the right pair of speaker... ;)

The SCM20SL sensitivity is about 84 dB and dips to about 4 ohm at 2 to 4 KHz. Would be interesting to have a listen with a beefier amp.  ;D

Hope this is not too OT but where can I audition a pair of scm11's, I'm quite a newbie and I've been lucky to have friends who own proac and rogers so I'm really curious how they sound like.

Thanks!

Josh

Audio88 or some scm11 owner place.

• 4 weeks later...

Taken from ATC white paper...the advantage of active ATCs over passive are clearly spelt out here...one of the reasons why I am hankering for an active in the future. Phase response will be more critical for the ATCs using multiple drivers such as SCM50 and above. But interestingly, there aren't many active ATC owners around in Singapore.

2. Phase Response

As with the magnitude response, the phase response of a system is usually measured on a single reference axis, midway between the bass/mid and high frequency drive units in a two way system and on the axis of the midrange drive unit for a three way system.

A system will be defined as being ”Linear Phase” if the phase response is a straight line, when the frequency response has a linear scale and passes through the origin. The effect is then of a true time delay and will therefore not cause any linear distortion. In practical loudspeaker systems however, the aim is to design for a minimum phase response free from any abrupt changes that are usually indicative of high Q resonances.

Even order frequency dividing networks using Butterworth filters offer the special characteristic that the phase of complimentary low and high pass filters are the same. The result is a greatly improved polar response and therefore improved coherence of the audio signal.

It is also relevant to include here that the delay between drive units due to acoustic centre misalignment is not audible, we believe, for delays below 2 ms. Therefore, providing the overall delay is within 2 ms. and there are no sharp phase response irregularities, then the system should be free from any subjective phase effects. ATC has incorporated analogue phase correction, operating through the crossover regions, in its active loud - speakers since 1982. This is achieved by the addition of an all-pass filter (i.e. one with a magnitude response of unity for all frequencies, but a varying phase response) enabling correction for the delays due to the extra sound path length from the various drive units in a multi drive unit system. Such correction serves to steer the main radiation lobe at the crossover frequency toward the listener. The result of such active filtering is to give much better control over the filter shapes with greater phase coherence and therefore a more uniform group delay characteristic. The subjective result, when compared with the same loudspeaker system but with a passive crossover, is of a broader and more stable stereo sound field with much more coherent drive unit integration and improved openness and timbre of reproduced sounds.

Digital signal processing promises several advances in phase response manipulation in the future:

• 3 weeks later...

vajrasattvasg, I have replaced it with Millenium m-puck footers. It's a screwed onto the chassis bottom.

mousike,

Have not optimise speaker placement yet. Current position you see is just arbitrary placement. Will work on it when I have moved over to my new place. Yes, on the sides are the windows. Plan to put in a diffusor on both sides at 1st reflection points.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone bored enough to drive ATC with single ended triodes?

been roaming several chinese forums, although its blasphemous to many, there are several reports of good sound.

It depends on the type of music and listening level I have heard the 11 and 19 at showroom driven by some integrated tube amp. On vocals they are fine but on pop/rock they sounded outright boring with a bloated bass.

Guest mousike

Its very Apple though  ;D

Yah, I prefer the original look though...its a little to clinical looking and I think there are just too many whites in the market these days!

• 2 months later...

Updates to my system after moving to new place and finally sorted out most of the things I wanted to do....and the SCM20SLT is back in action!

Real traps Mondo corner + RPG Modex Corner

Oyaide R1 + CF plate mounted on custom adapter

Guest mousike

Updates to my system after moving to new place and finally sorted out most of the things I wanted to do....and the SCM20SLT is back in action!

Nice bro...time for another listen  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Great speakers! i still own the SCM 19s. A bit hard to drive but once driven w/ good amplification, they can really rock!

a bit revealing of source materials. Good recordings sounds very good, bad will sound not so good.

Nonetheless i still enjoy listening to them at time to time.

Indeed. They rock and rock real hard if the amps can drive 'em. Actually sometimes they reveal flaws in the setup too...especially the source.

Great speakers! i still own the SCM 19s. A bit hard to drive but once driven w/ good amplification, they can really rock!

a bit revealing of source materials. Good recordings sounds very good, bad will sound not so good.

Nonetheless i still enjoy listening to them at time to time.

Hi all, I recently acquired the SCM19s as well. Jeffrey at Resolution is too nice a chap to not buy from. Can't say the same thing about the other shop in Adelphi though. I mean if there is anyone who is seriously considering ATC speakers at the moment, Jeffrey would definitely make the decision a easy one for you. Thumbs up for his warmth and hospitality! Currently feeding off a Cyrus 8vs2 and I am thinking perhaps it is about time to upgrade those tiny boxes to something beefier to drive those 19s. I mean the Cyrus are more than adequate to drive the 19s but my experience with the ATC SIA2-150 at Jeffrey's showroom left me thinking that the speakers would definitely sound better with more authoritative amplifiers. Would you old-birds care to share your experiences with partnering amps that doesn't burn a hole in the pocket? The ATC SIA2-150 are retailing close to 6k at the moment and I just couldn't justify for them at the moment. Your thoughts on this matter will be very much appreciated. Meanwhile, please bear with this ATC greenhorn for the time being!