ATC Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Misterioso

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on the upgrade!!!

How is the sound compared to SCM19?

Thanks. It's a significant jump!  I love ATC for it's a ability to dig deep into the music. I thought 19 was able to dig deep very well, much better than speakers many times it's price but the 20 is in another class altogether even though it shares the same SL driver and cabinet volume. I believe the more robust and solid cabinet for the 20 does make a difference. Voicing wise, they all sound pretty close. ATC designs their speaker to sound very similar across the range but with bigger scale and realism as you go up the ladder.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of ATC actives. Either SCM20 or SCM100.

My wallet not fat enough  ;D still waiting for it to grow

Thinking only don't need monay right? every ATC fan also thinking of buying ATC SCM 300A but what is the point of mention it when you are not ready?  ;D

Cheh...thought you just said that

"I'm thinking of getting a pair of ATC actives. Either SCM20 or SCM100."

Now you say wallet not fat enough.

My wallet not fat enough  ;D still waiting for it to grow

Haha...yeah! Forgot abt it.

I hv been using this link as reference for my upcoming project! To change the vifa tweets to seas excel used in current scm20 models! It's a challenge mechanically but that's where I get more kick out of it. LOL.

Here's more interesting links...

SCM50 clone

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/k50-4-p.asp

Hey Bro, you need to update your profile pic with the SCM20~!  ;D

Saw this while surfing...pretty cool...

http://www.mhennessy1.f9.co.uk/atc/index.htm

Guest larevoj

change the vifa tweets to seas excel used in current scm20 models! It's a challenge mechanically but that's where I get more kick out of it. LOL.

Nice...got to have a listen when you got it done :)

Guest larevoj

Will take my time on this. Happy even with current Vifa. Just want to push the ATCs to it's limit with minimal budget.

I am pushing my Focus 110 too...I gave up searching the right speakers so lately I started other simple tweaks and I am quite surprise by how much I can gain at the power supply, cables and even placement of electronics - the overall improvement is pretty amazing.

How much diff between the Viva and Excel? Worth the upgrade??

it's not an easy upgrade. I need to see if I could mount the seas excel without needing to change or modify cabinet. Will abandon if I need to drill onto the wood. Not my nor my friend's forte.

I like the sound of seas more than vifa. Price diff is not much...prob need about $300+ for the upgrade (cost of seas tweeter).

I see that you're having fun too.

Naimster, I guess you are not worried about the resale of the modified SCM19 and keeping them after the tweeter upgrade. Have you listened to a pair that has the tweeter upgraded before deciding to proceed with the project? It is little risky to swap the Vifa out with the Excel without knowing the outcome or results. Just my opinion.

Cheers.

it's not an easy upgrade. I need to see if I could mount the seas excel without needing to change or modify cabinet. Will abandon if I need to drill onto the wood. Not my nor my friend's forte.

I like the sound of seas more than vifa. Price diff is not much...prob need about $300+ for the upgrade (cost of seas tweeter).

I see that you're having fun too.

The SEAS tweeter round metal plate is slightly larger than the Vifa , need to use a wood work router to enlarge the recess of tweeter, you might also need to change some value on the crossover component, not a easy task.....my suggestion is don't need to change the tweeter, Vifa have less extend but also more forgiving on poorer recording than SEAS Tweeter IMHO.

Naimster, I guess you are not worried about the resale of the modified SCM19 and keeping them after the tweeter upgrade. Have you listened to a pair that has the tweeter upgraded before deciding to proceed with the project? It is little risky to swap the Vifa out with the Excel without knowing the outcome or results. Just my opinion.

Cheers.

Thanks for the heads up. First of all it's a  used 20...  My 19 in cold storage now.

Secondly, the seas are what is in current versions of 20. I like what I hear in current 20. I am treading it carefully.

The SEAS tweeter round metal plate is slightly larger than the Vifa , need to use a wood work router to enlarge the recess of tweeter, you might also need to change some value on the crossover component, not a easy task.....my suggestion is don't need to change the tweeter, Vifa have less extend but also more forgiving on poorer recording than SEAS Tweeter IMHO.

I have done some checking on the drawings... Might be able to get away with not enlarging the cabinet hole. I am planning to make a new tweeter face plate. The only obstruction I see is the 2 terminals that stick out which I hope to see if I can reterminate the connector elsewhere. As for crossover, I am prepared to tweak it a little to get it to my liking. Initial comparison on paper seemed to indicate minimal changes to crossover design.

Guest larevoj

Bro, nice...the SCM20SL in your room gave a much fuller sound. I am pretty surprised on how natural the bass decay and mids presentation. Even the highs seems many times smoother as compared to the SCM19 I auditioned months ago.

Its VFM on the price you paid for the sound in return. I am confident it will open up more with a little more juice into it  :) Its actually amazing how different it sound though SCM 19 & 20 have the same drivers. Let's hope you can recreate the wonder in your new place.  :)

- Yes, SCM20SL has very good potential  ;D

Cheers!

Bro, thanks for the compliments. Glad you like the 20 and have relisted ATC back into your buy list. Indeed it's very interesting that 20 sounds quite a bit different given that 19 and 20 uses the same 6.5" drivers. I guess the cabinet quality in the 20 is a major contributing factor.

So, when are you defecting to the ATC camp? I am waiting for you here. LOL. ;D...just kidding. Take your  time in your search but I honestly feel if you want bigger scale with less room issues ATC is a strong candidate, of course provided you like it's voicing.