JBL Synthesis Owners Thread

JBL Synthesis [ Harmon Kardon owned ] are introducing a feature packed pre pro with the latest dirac 2.0 bass management as well as a reasonable price AVR both with digital cat5 etc output to class G power amps :) As well as traditional balanced/unbalanced analogue outs .. Both should be a more reasonable alternative to the SDP75 collaboration with Trinnov :cool: 

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/electronics/surround-processor-preamplifiers/SDP-55-.html?cgid=surround-processor-preamplifiers&dwvar_SDP-55-_color=Black-US-Current

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/electronics/surround-processor-preamplifiers/SDR-35-.html?cgid=surround-processor-preamplifiers&dwvar_SDR-35-_color=Black-US-Current

some price comparisons including the 2 dante power amps ; https://www.soundandvision.com/content/jbl-synthesis-introduces-two-new-immersive-controllers

Edited by cwt
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, franin said:

Curious on how much they will be in Aus 

The only hint is the US price ; anywhere around 10k will be a bargain to some brands ^_^

The SDR-35 and SDP-55 will be available in January 2020 with retail prices of $7,500 and $6,000, respectively

There is also a new Arcam AV40 from the same conglomerate that is cut down feature wise but cheaper again ..

A further addition to the range is the $4500/£3750, 16-channel AV40 surround sound processor

https://www.whathifi.com/news/arcam-reveals-complete-new-av-receiver-range-at-cedia-expo

This looks really interesting and between this and the Monoprice HTP-1 I can see one of them ending up possibly in my theatre and make me leave the Denon AVRs that have served me well for over a decade.

Good to see some of these high end brands filling in the lower end of the market.

Edited by Spizz
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spizz said:

This looks really interesting and between this and the Monoprice HTP-1 I can see one of them ending up possibly in my theatre and make me leave the Denon AVRs that have served me well for over a decade.

Good to see some of these high end brands filling in the lower end of the market.

The HTP1 will need to come in well under the price of the 55 to be competitive ; the 55 has the top tier of dirac lives new bass management system for multiple subs  and the ability to run cat5 to a dante equipped power amp so sending the dacs further away from the pre amp level signals :) The top notch Logic dsp has been improved for 16 channels too ..

includes the top tier of Dirac’s new bass-management suite for integrating multiple subwoofers into a system

It is interesting the ATP16 is still in development who are also making the HTP-1 for Monoprice ; Its higher cost says heaps about the circuitry comparison.. and explains the HTP-1s lack of an analogue passthrough  [if necessary that is]

The fascia of the 55 certainly will look the part -

The half-inch thick anodized aluminum fascia with bead blasted accents and solid glass display makes a distinguished statement.

21 hours ago, franin said:

Curious on how much they will be in Aus 

Both models will be available in Australia in early 2020. The JBL Synthesis SDP-55 AV Receiver is expected to sell locally for $9,999, while the SDR-35 is expected to sell for $12,499. Prices will be confirmed when stock arrives.

Cwt- The Monoprice HTP-1 is listed at $4k USD or $5800 Aus. 

Edited by Spizz
  • Like 1

Both models will be available in Australia in early 2020. The JBL Synthesis SDP-55 AV Receiver is expected to sell locally for $9,999, while the SDR-35 is expected to sell for $12,499. Prices will be confirmed when stock arrives.

Cwt- The Monoprice HTP-1 is listed at $4k USD or $5800 Aus. 

That’s not bad :)

FYI to anyone considering the Monoprice HTP-1 I received response advising it will not have speaker assignment and manageable crossover settings, i.e. what Trinnov or possibly the coming JBL SDP-55 can do

Just thought I'd mention incase that affects anyone else

Hello Colin, thanks for this information!

Would any of these processors (JBL, Monoprice, Arcam) have upgradable audio and video modules, for future-proofing?

Also, the JBL and Arcam articles say Dirac Live. That is not the equal of Dirac Live Full, is it? I would like to know where these new units stand in that regard.

And --I'm not sure about this -- I get the impression that, typically, Dirac enabled systems run it at 48 kHz, yet I saw mention (not proof) that Dirac at 192 kHz is possible? I think that was in a discussion of the upcoming Emotiva pre-pro. I would like to know where these new units stand in that regard, too.

cheers,

Grant

9 hours ago, Grant Slack said:

Hello Colin, thanks for this information!

Would any of these processors (JBL, Monoprice, Arcam) have upgradable audio and video modules, for future-proofing?

Also, the JBL and Arcam articles say Dirac Live. That is not the equal of Dirac Live Full, is it? I would like to know where these new units stand in that regard.

And --I'm not sure about this -- I get the impression that, typically, Dirac enabled systems run it at 48 kHz, yet I saw mention (not proof) that Dirac at 192 kHz is possible? I think that was in a discussion of the upcoming Emotiva pre-pro. I would like to know where these new units stand in that regard, too.

Hello Grant ; upper echelon products like the JBL will have upgradeable hdmi modules ; I would keep a close eye on this thread @ avs  for specs on these 16 ch models;'

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3090874-16-channel-prepros-5000-less.html

Most of these new pre pros have the new upgraded dirac 2.0 ; Emo is yet to incorporate theirs . The Emo RMC1 will be running their Dirac at 96hz as well as the XMC2 ; early estimates were 192hz but revised. The HTP1 will be 48hz as will others but considering most blurays are 24/48 or 16/48 this shouldn't matter .

The features to keep an eye on [if you have 2 or more subs or want wides ] are channel assignability and Diracs new 2 tier bass management system so subs are combined well. You will see certain features that overlap for channel assignment flexibility ie Arcam has 4 assignable channels on the back panel below and the JBL 55 has similarly-

Features include four independent DSP channels

256147_017052230d2fca9b1b04e29d0aaf5e14.thumb.jpg.5c8fc183b090aa949a7e4e4d80ee8844.jpg

Similar to a certain JBL oem part ..

This is because they are all part of the 1 conglomerate ; but there are still unique differences though..

All models are tied to their processing chips to an extent ;whether TI Momentum series or ADI 

Thankfully Neilsy has confirmed where the HTP1 lacks some configurability 

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Grant Slack said:

Thanks Colin for addressing my questions.

Still not sure about these systems being described as Dirac Live. That normally means bass frequencies only. They are not saying Dirac Live Full Frequency in the descriptions.

Regards,

Grant 

I  think its included depending on the calibre of equipment Grant  ; the update for Storm Audio [who participated in the beta phase with NAD and others ] said this - 

This update – designated as 3.4r2 – brings full Dirac Live 2.0 (DLCT 2.0) and its improved functionality to the table.

Lower brands you may have to pay for full ;flac works for Dirac 

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/dirac-live®-2-0-for-nad-and-arcam-is-here-and-a-black-friday-deal-as-well.3711/post-29722

Theres also the Arcam/JBL company link and Dirac has said recently that versions going forward will be homogenous as different proprietary versions takes too much time to code[ for a small company ] Which explains the delay for Emo -as they have said ..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neilsy said:

Colin, when do you think these might come available in store in Aus and who (reseller) will have access to them?

Would be good to know who in greater Bris I can speak to.

Thanks!

The JBL;s are available in the start of 2020 Neilsy ; that said they didn't have any hooked up at Cedia so they may still be in the prototype stage . They are at the mercy of other OEM partners to an extent eg dirac has had delays so their sub bass management system is still coming - they have moved to a one size fits all to speed things up so less proprietary versions going forward should help a small outfit like themselves .

Theres a dealer ; Trimera;  in Bowen if that's close 

https://www.convoy.com.au/jblsynthesis/dealers/

28 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

Thanks Colin. Will keep an ear out.
When you say Bowen, hope you mean Bowen Hills! The other Bowen is quite far away.... emoji51.png

That's the one :thumb:

1/141 Campbell St, Bowen Hills QLD,

• 4 weeks later...

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

I caved .. I've ordered the SDP-55 and 2 x SDA-7120 which can all run Dante. Should be arriving in approx two weeks.

Will report back once they find their homes in the rack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, betty boop said:

definitely look forward to the updates ... what will these be feeding ? are you going some krix MX wall or something :D 

Answered here: