How Do I Drive Two Subs From A Single Lfe Pre-out?

Hi,

This one's more of an experimental task but I've recently aquired a Denon AVC-A1SR (lovely amp, by the way) and a second Dali SWA-15 subwoofer.

I figure since I've got two subs, I could experiment with placement etc of having two subs in the room. I would have thought that Denon would have given me two LFE outs on the A1SR but it seems they only added that on the more recent A1XV.

Is there some way I can drive two subs safely from the LFE out?

Thanks

Hi,

This one's more of an experimental task but I've recently aquired a Denon AVC-A1SR (lovely amp, by the way) and a second Dali SWA-15 subwoofer.

I figure since I've got two subs, I could experiment with placement etc of having two subs in the room. I would have thought that Denon would have given me two LFE outs on the A1SR but it seems they only added that on the more recent A1XV.

Thanks[/b]

Use an RCA type double adaptor.Available at Jaycar etc for about $5.These have one male input for the amp and two females out for the sub.

Hi,

Thanks[/b]

Hello ZArdoz,

If you have 2 subs, why bother with mono, particularly for music? You could try to rig up stereo subs. Some possibilities:

Assuming that you are using the AVR speaker outputs to power the main speakers, then your 5.1/6.1/7.1 PRE OUTS are free (and hopefully always active on YOUR AVR). Feed the Left Sub, from the LEFT PRE OUT on the AVR and the RIGHT Sub, from the RIGHT PRE OUT on the AVR. Your mains would need to be sent a fullrange signal for this to work (speakers set to LARGE) and the AVR preouts would need to be always on. You could then experiment with turning the subwoofer off (on the AVR) and the AVR would redirect the bass (including the LFE channel) to the mains anyway (including the Left and Right PRE OUTS), which would end up in your actual subwooofers, whose level and x-over etc..you could adjust.

The only downside is that you must be happy to send your actual main speakers a fullrange signal (that may be OK for you, unless you are using small satellite speakers- in which case you could try other things)

If you don't trust the AVRs bass management, then things can get messy, for instance, You could also sum the LEFT PREOUT and LFE channel and feed them to the left sub and similarly for the right channel. You would need some y cables and 2/1 adaptors for this.

Best

JA

Hi JA

Great advice, I like this idea - infact I like it a lot :wacko:

Two subs are better than one (of the same quality of course).[/b]

Hello Luckydog,

Yes exactly- as soon as Zardoz said he had a SECOND Dali SW-15 (i.e: 2 identical subs) , all I could think of was stereo.

Best

JA

If you don't trust the AVRs bass management, then things can get messy, for instance, You could also sum the LEFT PREOUT and LFE channel and feed them to the left sub and similarly for the right channel. You would need some y cables and 2/1 adaptors for this.

Best

JA[/b]

Why didn't I think of this? Although I did have future plans for the pre-outs (was considering a Rotel power amp to power some CDM7 SE speakers), this doesn't seem like such a bad idea - except for running the amp in pure direct mode when I want to play SACD/DVD-Audio titles via the discrete inputs.

Where things get fun and interesting, is the Dali subs have two sets of inputs - one which uses the sub's crossover and one which bypasses the crossover entirely, leaving the task to the AVR. I haven't seen what happens when I run both sets of inputs at once, however.

Since the AVR has all sorts of fancy THX processing (and some really decent bass management for the LFE), I'd be tempted to just do the Y-cable thing (I already have a few of these and could rig something up) - however I'd probably lose some power and need to add some gain on the AVR to bring the levels up appropriately.

• 2 weeks later...