Sign in to follow this  
Alanpartridge

Sony Dirext Drive vintage - worth taking this on?

A lovely Sony on ebay buy it now Here

Has some serious issues - do you reckon this is worth taking on or will it end in tears for me and my financial adviser?

Could be a world of trouble there. I get suspicious when people say they can't test it properly.  Makes you think they want to imply it may be all working when they probably know it's not.

Guest Muon N'

Agreed, if he couldn't get it to spin the platter, or activate the biotracer arm, it could be a paper weight.

The problem with some of these electronic tables of the past is for many some of the IC's are custom and/or unobtainable without a donor table (same model) with good parts for replacement, so in such a case it would be only for parts.

I nearly bought one of these a while back. SamZ had a couple of them for sale. 

The biotracer arm and things as @Muon N' said make this not a good prospect if broken. 

16 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Could be a world of trouble there. I get suspicious when people say they can't test it properly.  Makes you think they want to imply it may be all working when they probably know it's not.

agree !

also be wary of  "in excellent condition but... " descriptions.

and the sold as is, no returns rider.

caveat emptor.

it will probably end in tears.

buy two to make one good table ?

😄

If the motor worked without issue, including pitch, consider upgrading the arm (if possible) and the issues relating to the arm mechanism disappear.  

Beat me to it Pete :)

When my linear tracking Biotracer stopped working this is what greets you as you remove the bottom cover 😳.......good luck

3672B3C5-7FA2-4E9A-93B9-DCC51A8038C3.jpeg

6 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Agreed, if he couldn't get it to spin the platter, or activate the biotracer arm, it could be a paper weight.

The problem with some of these electronic tables of the past is for many some of the IC's are custom and/or unobtainable without a donor table (same model) with good parts for replacement, so in such a case it would be only for parts.

And there is the possibility that this unit was harvested for parts, which is why it won't work now.  Looks very nice though (or as Monty Python said, "Beautiful plumage, the Norwegian Blue", and we know how functional that parrot was). 

They were great decks and the biotracer arm was great engineering - then I saw the photo supplied by woadl. I wouldn't want to try taking that apart, far too complicated, especially compared to my Kenwood KD decks. I can see the appeal of fully automatic decks but the price you pay for that is lots of complicated PCBs, ics, wiring etc. etc.

Right now there is available on Ebay a Kenwood KP 990 checked out by a professional technician, fully working and free expedited international shipping @ US$ 585. These KD decks have what I think are 2 indispensible functions - arm lift and motor stop at end-of-side., these functions don't require complicated electronics. The plinth can be removed revealing the huge cast aluminium spider and the excellent damped and adjustable feet. This is the Japanese version  so a step-up Tx is needed. In Europe these decks fully functional are around £800-£1000. Seriously worth the OP thinking about.

Really appreciate the replies from a great bunch of knowledge guys.

Perhaps I will consider another vintage Direct drive player, for now, I have snapped up one of rhese:

the-classic-2-768x518.jpg

6 hours ago, Alanpartridge said:

Really appreciate the replies from a great bunch of knowledge guys.

Perhaps I will consider another vintage Direct drive player, for now, I have snapped up one of rhese:

the-classic-2-768x518.jpg

That looks very nice!