Sign in to follow this  
doubleaitch

Speaker upgrade

Does anyone out there have advice for a newby to the vinyl school trying to find that sound I had in the early eighties from a Luxman system with Yamaha NS690 III speakers.  They are monitors and I still have them although one of the mid range and possibly a tweeter has been blown.  I have thought about having them repaired (as I can get the parts), but I am considering if there is something out there comparable.  I have a pair of ELAC 2.0 5.2 bookshelf speakers and they are OK.  I have been pretty happy with them but I miss the clarity I recall from the Yamaha's.  I have tested the ELAC's on a few of my 'test' tracks like Elton John's Song for Guy and Fleetwood Mac's Landslide and they sound nothing like the clarity of the Yamaha's.  Is it the fact that the Yamaha's are considered monitors?  They are as sharp as a tack which may not suit a lot of people but I do love the clarity which I have been unable to get from the ELAC's even through an Ortofon Quintet Blue on my MMF7.1 turntable. And what about the 2 way / 3 way difference in modern speakers - does that mean less clarity or is it just a tech advancement that means we get more from mid range now.  So confused atm. 

Edited by doubleaitch

comparable is never the same, repair the yamaha's, you can always move them on , i had a pair of mission 770s bought in 1983, when the amp from the same era blew up, i replaced it in 2005, did not suit the speakers, bought new speakers, then many different amps till satisfied with the sound, put the missions back in the system, they were good , but, not as good as the new speakers so i sold them 

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By totaltech
      Item Condition: Used Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Sunbury State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: NLR For sale is my Yamaha A-U671 DAC/AMP. Was purchased for my home office, but my ideas have changed. There is only one blemish shown in the second picture near the Yamaha logo. 
      Please also see my other listing for a pair of Dali Zensor 1 speakers. 
      Pickup Sunbury after hours, Mitcham during business hours.

• By groqld
      Item: RX-V3085
      Price Range: 1000 - 1250
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info: hi looking to upgrade my RX-V2700
      Would prefer Pickup in Brisbane North Region.

• By jomjom
      Item Condition: Used,excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Middleton Grange State: New South Wales Payment Method: PayPal plus fees Reason for selling: NLR Further information: 
       Pair of excellent condition elac speakers.Designed by one of world’s best speaker designer Andrew Jones.Plenty of glowing reviews online.Original owner with receipt and boxes.
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By mugwampjism
      Hello friends,

I just spontaneously purchased some Bowers and Wilkins DM2000 last week. Honestly, I saw a photo of them on ebay and something just clicked, not at all my usual shopping style. But this is what I imagine when I hear the word "speakers".

So, now of course I am worried that my reciever is going to leave me wondering about needing more power.

While I await delivery, I'm hoping someone can comment on my Yamaha RX-V1800 ability to push them, and/or suggest something more appropriate, at a price that doesn't trigger my wife's attention.

Is the v1800's 140W a true and fair representation of its power?

Currently, I have Wharfdale 9.5 towers, and enjoy listening to them as loud as I can, relative to any particular situation, but haven't really gone full throttle on them. They tend to lose clarity as I approach -0db.

The few references I find to my b&W online, or to similar b&W spkr of that era, seem be unanimous in that they will eat as much power as you can give them, and crave more. Indeed, the b&W spec sheet gives a minimum Wattage, rather than the usual indicators.

What have I got myself into? Further down the rabbit hole? Or is this going to work out just fine?

• By bjs
      Item Condition: New still in box Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: St Kilda East State: Victoria Payment Method: PayPal, EFT Reason for selling: Not needed Further information: I recently won this turntable in a competition at the Melbourne HiFi Show. I entered thinking the prize was some speakers, but was blown away to realise it was this turntable. Unfortunately, all my music is digital and I cannot afford to get into vinyl at the moment. I only just collected the prize and it remains unopened, packaged as collected from the fine people at Carlton Audio-Visual. Its listed price is $12,999.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.