Sign in to follow this  
Cloth Ears

Cheap turntable - fixing it up (rubber motor mounts are shot!)

Hi,

Looking for advice...

I'm just trying to fix up my old JP601 turntable to see if I can make it a goer. I don't have much vinyl left, but it has been playing it OK until now. I got Tivoli to check the electrics and they fixed them up OK (so now it's not going to zap me). But I have a list...

1. the rubber mounts (3) for the motor are shot. They were conical 'pull-through' ones that were probably fairly specific, but I'm guessing I can get some soft-ish, thick-walled rubber tubing and cut to size to form the suspension. and a couple of sorbothane 'washers' to isolate the rest of the motor.
  2. the motor is a bit noisy (and according to Tivoli, a little fast), but I think I can build a sheet to cover the hole in the platter mounting tray. I just have to locate all my sound-damping sheets...hmmm!
  3. the spindle and bearing could probably do with a clean, so I'll try pulling that apart and see if it's "Cloth Ears" fixable or cleanable. Is there any special grease I should use for lubing it once I've removed any dirt. The bearings must be fairly small, as the tube holding them is only about as thick as my thumb.
  4. the feet I put on about 25 years ago are shot, so I might by some Sorbothane ones from Decibel. Probably 5, as I think the corner with the motor in it will need 2 (I'll have to weigh each corner first).
  5. and probably a big piece of damping material on the floor of the unit (which is currently only 3mm plywood).

With luck, I can do this all for about $60 and get some improvement. Obviously the motor being a little fast cannot be helped, not that I've noticed it much - most of the vinyl I have is not what I have on digital.

Of course, the best advice would be to go and get something new! Or old, but better. But I'm cheap and I kind of like the way it sounds now. Stopping the mechanical noises would be a step up...

Edited by Cloth Ears

36 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

the rubber mounts (3) for the motor are shot. They were conical 'pull-through' ones that were probably fairly specific, but I'm guessing I can get some soft-ish, thick-walled rubber tubing and cut to size to form the suspension. and a couple of sorbothane 'washers' to isolate the rest of the motor.

I have been able to use stacked grommets in my Orpheus Silex TT to fix motor mounts.

37 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:
  • the motor is a bit noisy (and according to Tivoli, a little fast), but I think I can build a sheet to cover the hole in the platter mounting tray. I just have to locate all my sound-damping sheets...hmmm!
  • the spindle and bearing could probably do with a clean, so I'll try pulling that apart and see if it's "Cloth Ears" fixable or cleanable. Is there any special grease I should use for lubing it once I've removed any dirt. The bearings must be fairly small, as the tube holding them is only about as thick as my thumb.

It may be an oil bearing.  The noisy motor might need some oil as well.

38 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

the feet I put on about 25 years ago are shot, so I might by some Sorbothane ones from Decibel. Probably 5, as I think the corner with the motor in it will need 2 (I'll have to weigh each corner first).

and probably a big piece of damping material on the floor of the unit (which is currently only 3mm plywood).

Cheap rubber isolation pads, meant for aircons and washing machines can be bought at Bunnings.

Thanks AV,

I'll follow all, except the feet. The Sorbothane feet from decibel (at $33 for 5) are just too good to pass up.

The oil for the motor and bearings. Any good machine oil, or is the snake oil for turntable bearings worth a look? I must admit I prefer $2 for 50ml instead of $17...

I'll definitely look at the stacked grommets. My sort of fix. I might still use a small piece of rubber pipe to hold them in line.

22 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

I'll follow all, except the feet. The Sorbothane feet from decibel (at $33 for 5) are just too good to pass up.

Fair enough.  I s'pose you've heard of the half squash balls some use, or whole ones kept in place by a plastic milk bottle lid?

23 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

The oil for the motor and bearings. Any good machine oil, or is the snake oil for turntable bearings worth a look? I must admit I prefer $2 for 50ml instead of $17...

I use good old 3 in 1 oil for my garrard and CEC idler bearings.  Also on motor bearings.  

25 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

I'll definitely look at the stacked grommets. My sort of fix. I might still use a small piece of rubber pipe to hold them in line.

or glue them with some silicon.  Not having seen the suspension arrangement of yours I am just guessing it will work.

57 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Fair enough.  I s'pose you've heard of the half squash balls some use, or whole ones kept in place by a plastic milk bottle lid?

Yes, and for speakers, I'd go with it. The squash balls have a (bugger, can't remember the engineering term) an element of rigidity before they get deformation, whereas the Sorbothane (assuming it's the actual product) deforms early and then (um) hardens up. For this application, I'd go with something like the Decibel feet.

I use good old 3 in 1 oil for my garrard and CEC idler bearings.  Also on motor bearings. 

Good to know. I've got some good sewing oil and a couple of others that we use for tricky situations.

or glue them with some silicon.  Not having seen the suspension arrangement of yours I am just guessing it will work.

I'll try taking a photo tomorrow, but I'm guessing your guess is a good one!

Edited by Cloth Ears