Sign in to follow this  
mrboh

Thoughts on Edifier? S350DB vs S2000 Pro

Considering purchasing either of these for desktop use. They seem very good value in Australia and there are a number of positive reviews out there. Does anyone have experience with either or both?

I've got the Edifier S2000 Pro on my desk as a nearfield set-up, well actually their sitting on some isolation platforms that are sitting on my desk. I find them quite detailed, I'm surprised how good I think they are for $500 and I am really enjoying them. Very good clarity through the whole range and fairly neutral. Mind you I wouldn't call them sterile, they are decent monitors but they can also sound fun and lively with a bit of EQ or DSP.

Quite decent spatial separation, though I wouldn't say they have a great depth to their imaging. But hey everyone and their room is different 😀

I don't know if I'd directly compare these 2 models against each other as they are different, one is a 2.0 while the other 2.1 and they are different price points. I think they both offer decent value for their price point, one system may be more suited to an individual than the other. EG: the S2000 are fairly large for desktop use and if space is very limited the S350DB's speakers are much more compact and obviously you get bass extension with the S350DB because of the sub.

I will add that I am actually using a sub with the S2000 Pro, though I wasn't intending it that way. But hey got a 8" one as a Father's day gift.

It's almost impossible to get a listen at a store but if you have decent headphones there is some sound test demo's on these models on YT sites that could maybe be of use. Far from ideal but gives you some idea, I bought directly from Edifier (they were the cheapest @ the time and had stock) and I think they may have a 30 day return policy. You could enquire about the details of that (or whatever store policies where you intend to buy) which could allow you to in-home demo if concerned and see about a return if not happy with them.

If thinking of these I'd also give the Swan M200 MKIII and maybe the AirPulse A100 a look depending on what your after needs/features wise etc. I think I liked the AirPulse the most but not enough for me to justify the price difference at the time and I couldn't find stock. 

Thanks for your thoughts. I can find the S350DB for ~$350 and the S2000 Pro for ~$450 so not a million miles apart. I like the idea of the 2.1 setup with the extra bass extension but I worry that I'll be missing out on more detailed sound. Do you think the S2000 has sufficient bass without the sub or does it really need that boost?

I wasn't thinking of the price differential but more the difference in the speakers themselves, the S350DB is nice but it's different and not the same tier as the S2000 Pro. But they are designed with different requirements or purposes in mind, both sound very good for what they are and their price points. But what suits each individual will always differ between wants ,needs and personal taste etc, as much as it's a PITA having to choose at times it's great that we have choices to better suit our individual wants.

As to your question on on needing a sub, simple answer is no I don't think the S2000 Pro model needs a subwoofer. They dig down to just a tad below 50Hz fairly well and clean. I used them for a while without a subwoofer and that was how I intended to use them. Adding a subwoofer to them without other equipment isn't easy either as the speakers themself have no output or option for adding a sub. I have spare outputs from my audio interface and the sub was a gift, so there was no extra set-up or cost to me to add it to the S2000 Pro's (I don't always use the sub all the time, only when it's useful for movies or the odd song for fun, not when critical listening).

Remember as much as a subwoofer adds that impact on the bottom end it's only at best 2 octaves or 20% of what we're listening to, 80% or more is coming from the loudspeakers. My own personal thoughts are I give more attention to speakers than a subwoofer, to me it seems backwards to spend more on a subwoofer than a speaker. But we're all different and when it comes to audio, taste is personal and everyone's hearing is different let alone differences in room acoustics etc. What's right is what YOU enjoy most.

I get funny about subwoofers, for the small amount we hear from them the impact they add can be quite dramatic, but 90% of people I know place them poorly and thus they don't improve the sound at all and often just are boomy and muddy up the bottom end. I'm also not 100% convinced that they provide much use in nearfield set-ups either for similar reasons. I see everyone just plonks them on their desk next to the speakers or maybe just where ever it fits under the desk. I know this is often the most convenient location for us but it can cause it to take more away from the listening experience than it adds.

In this situation you often end up hearing lot of your desk, and your loading the corners of the room or the opposite end of the room to where your listening etc. Sub's may not be directional but how they interact with a room and it's acoustics is every bit important to good integration with a system. What is you main intended use and room like?

I don't want to put you off the S350DB, nor do I wish to sell you on the S2000 lol. The S350DB may be perfect for your wants for all I know but looking at the specs the subwoofer is only rated down to 40Hz. It does get good reviews but I take reviews with a grain of salt, only real way to know if you like the taste or sound of something is to experience it for yourself. The other thought is do the vendors your looking at buying from allow returns if your not satisfied, that way you could try at home and if whatever you try doesn't float your boat send it back.

Edited by Mitcon

If the S350DB is not the same tier then that pretty much answers my question ;) And good to know the low end on the S2000 goes pretty deep. It looks like Edifier offer free shipping to my address so the purchase price is not that much higher than other online vendors. Could certainly be an option for a trial.

While I think the S350DB is good value I think the S2000 Pro is an absolute steal in it's price point, I'd be rating it @double its price point at minimum, personally I think the S2000 Pro (I prefer to call it as it's designated because there is a earlier different model named S2000 that exists) is a great little standmount/monitor with many varied uses and is better value and sound than the model above it the S3000 Pro. I'm not keen on that model but that's another story lol, I talk way too much.

I ran some low level test tones today in the studio on the S2000 Pro (minus subwoofer) just out of curiosity and while rated down to 48Hz I think they still dig further and are quite decent in output down to 40hz, they even still have noticeable dig at 35Hz but your losing volume quickly after that. For a 5.25" driver that's fantastic IMO, and the mids are so delightful which I find a strong point with the S2000 Pro. The detail in the high end is great but slightly veiled so as not to be sibilant (I'm sensitive in the 7-10 Khz range and find the S3000 Pro slightly uncomfortable in that region).

Let's face it you can always find a way to add a subwoofer if you really want bottom end extension but you can not just add more detail to a speaker. Now I'll tease you and say the little 8" sub my wife bought me is the best small sub I have ever heard and is reasonably musical too besides being crazy cheap hehehe. Pic of how I have the S2000 Pro set-up to show I am an owner and it did happen lol.

IMG_20190917_135838copy.jpg

Edited by Mitcon

That's really helpful, thanks heaps! Would you care to tease more about the details of this fabulous little sub? ;)

I'm still in more than one mind on the little Voll 8" sub and have only had it for a short while (father's day 2019), I love and hate subwoofers lol and the small sub isn't well placed which can make all the difference as previously mentioned . The subwoofer on my main system is a killer, weights more than me or my wife and cost me more than I like to think about, $$$ thousands.

Like most folks, in this small studio/room situation I have placed the sub where it fits best and not where it sounds best which is a limiting factor. (but I'm EQing/DSPing and have it decoupled from the floor). That said the wife suggests it only cost $200 AUD local with warranty/money guarantee and it sounds ok to me, it looks extremely similar to the Emotiva BasX Sub8 but with different bash plate/amp. I can't complain when I didn't even pay lol, but that's my thoughts so far. The brand is Voll Audio and the sub is the S8, Voll offer passive loudspeaker/sub systems matched with a T-amp for computer/nearfield listening though I can't comment on anything other than the early subwoofer thoughts as I've not listened to anything else from them. But from what I read and imagine they offer decent desktop audio for a budget price on a passive set-up.

IMG_20190911_092925copy.jpg

Edited by Mitcon