Sign in to follow this  
Spider27

Cyrus CD Player Laser Replacement

Has anyone replaced CD Laser unit before?

My Cyrus CD6S somehow does not read disc. It is trying to read but after a sec or two, it says No Disc. I researched on internet and it looks like laser needs replacement. I checked the laser and it looks clean but it is over 10 years old so might need to replace the laser.

I believe that old Cyrus CDP use Philips CDM unit.

Not sure how difficult it is. I guess that it is moderate in terms of difficulty level.

Has anyone have done it? Is it fairly easy fix? I am trying to fix it myself if possible since the unit is not expensive unit and it might cost more than what it is worth if it is sent to repairer.

Any suggestion would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you.

If you can open the unit up easily, and it looks like you have, then replacing a laser is generally pretty straightforward. You must remember to desolder the shorting blob before reassembly otherwise it simply won't  work.

38 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

If you can open the unit up easily, and it looks like you have, then replacing a laser is generally pretty straightforward. You must remember to desolder the shorting blob before reassembly otherwise it simply won't  work.

Thank you for your suggestion.  Are you referring soldering motor and pulley like attached photo with highlight?

And, would you be able to help me to locate what laser to purchase?

Cyrus CD6s use Philips CDM 12.1 / VAM1201 for optical unit and found below on eBay.  Do I need to purchase whole mechanism or just laser unit?   If just laser unit, is any of below right one to get? 

Whole Mechanism

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VAM1202-12-for-Philips-CD-Mechanism-Complete-Traverse-Unit-VAM1201-CDM12-1-ELON/323865082725

Laser Unit

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VAM-1202-Single-Channel-Low-Laser-Lens-Optical-Pickup-VAM1201-CDM12-1-VAM1202-xx/283571764789

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Laser-Head-For-VAM1202-VAM-1202-VAM1201-CDM12-2-Audio-2018-High-Quality/202533225289

Thank you very much, @Grizzly

106cyrus2.jpg

Edited by Spider27

16 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Thank you for your suggestion.  Are you referring soldering motor and pulley like attached photo with highlight?

And, would you be able to help me to locate what laser to purchase?

Cyrus CD6s use Philips CDM 12.1 / VAM1201 for optical unit and found below on eBay.  Do I need to purchase whole mechanism or just laser unit?   If just laser unit, is any of below right one to get? 

Whole Mechanism

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VAM1202-12-for-Philips-CD-Mechanism-Complete-Traverse-Unit-VAM1201-CDM12-1-ELON/323865082725

Laser Unit

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VAM-1202-Single-Channel-Low-Laser-Lens-Optical-Pickup-VAM1201-CDM12-1-VAM1202-xx/283571764789

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Laser-Head-For-VAM1202-VAM-1202-VAM1201-CDM12-2-Audio-2018-High-Quality/202533225289

Thank you very much, @Grizzly

106cyrus2.jpg

I can't say for certain that the linked parts will suit your unit, though it seems likely. If it was me I'd start with laser first, then consider full assembly if that didn't rectify the problem.

When changing a laser you generally don't need to do any soldering as, normally, you can dismantle and remove the laser head mechanically and simply unplug the lead(s). The replacement should have a blob on it (usually stands out pretty well) to short out static which can kill the laser. You simply use a little of the solder wick material to draw it away from the board after installation but before reassembling the player.

I reckon @rockeater will have more knowledge in this area.

For just a few dollars more it’s prudent to get a complete laser unit 

And it looks the same as my Cyrus CD8 SE unit 

Just now, Full Range said:

For just a few dollars more it’s prudent to get a complete laser unit 

And it looks the same as my Cyrus CD8 SE unit 

I actually copied the image from CD8SE because I could not find photos of CD6S but the only difference that I saw was that CD8SE has 2 torroidal transformers when CD6S has only one on the right side.

My main concern for parts is that all of parts on eBay are unbranded one from China or HK even those ones sold on UK or AU.

I believe that original Philips CDM 12.1 no longer produced and have any more stocks but plenty of knockoff or unbranded ones.

Not sure how these unbranded one will affect the sound or performance against original. 

Just a quick question & test of the CD reading 

My Cyrus is also finicky about CDs

For instance- It won’t read CDs with a green dye 

The only CDs It likes is silver in colour 

5 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

My main concern for parts is that all of parts on eBay are unbranded one from China or HK even those ones sold on UK or AU.

I believe that original Philips CDM 12.1 no longer produced and have any more stocks but plenty of knockoff or unbranded ones.

Not sure how these unbranded one will affect the sound or performance against original. 

Then your only option is to contact the distributor for parts 

Checked the diagnose procedure and found that CD does not spin at all when I put CD in and close the loading Slot. It makes small trying to read noise but does not spin. I guess that it is clear sign that laser is dead so need to replace it.

"Tips: if the laser is dead, the CD will not spin at all. The CD motor has a signal to start spinning only after the laser heads reports: "reflective surface detected on the height where CD is expected to be ". However, as someone rightly pointed out, some servo mechanisms will try spinning without checking if CD is in place or not. Apparently, they made assumption that a small motor spin in vain will not hurt."

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

I reckon @rockeater will have more knowledge in this area.

Indeed I do know a bit more for this is what I do for the last few years.

Nor reading CDs or CD-Rs of some kind is almost never due to laser problem.

I have replaced less than half-a-dozen of lasers in the last 3 years.

The issue is almost always mechanical or electrical misalignment.

Sony based players have 5+ pots on the main board to adjust things like focus and tracking gain/bias, EFM, etc.

Philips based ones have none.

So start with cleaning the laser lens with isopropyl alcohol.

Then look if the lens hunts for focus -> close the tray with no CD in and observe if the head travels to the centre of CD (next to turntable) and then that the lens goes up and down couple of times trying to focus and that the laser lights up red (do not look into it, observe from the distance at an angle).

Then check if everything travels well. Find gear that drives mechanism and see if you advance it slowly with your finger that it all goes smoothly.

Do not grease things that have no grease. If in doubt, clean the old grease away and put none rather than wrong grease.

The send me a message.

Otherwise, If all this fails, send it to someone to do it for you.

Half of my work is fixing things for people who were only to replace belts and in the process broke a microswitch or installed the tray gears/cams in wrong position.

If you were to buy replacement mechanism, buy a whole thing, so it is easier for you to do it.

Before placing an order, remove the old one, so that you know exactly which one to get. This includes cabling which differs between models. This goes for both ribbon cables as well as servo/power leads that have headers with different amount of pins.

For original stuff, your easiest option is Wagner - if they still have it.

Next best thing is to get a cheap working unit from cheaper brand than Mission/Curus that uses the same assembly.

Edited by rockeater

6 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Tips: if the laser is dead, the CD will not spin at all.

and for a number of different reasons too.

This is like saying, if the car's engine tries but does not start, the problem is ignition.

It can be. 

But also could be lack of fuel.

How about a microswitch that should tell the servo that the CD tray is in place and CD is loaded but does not because it is faulty or dirty?

Edited by rockeater