Apathy and stopping listening to music

I grew up listening to John Mellencamp, Jackson Browne, Grunge bands etc... a far cry from Jazz.  Now 60% + of my collection is Jazz.  There is a period in time, late 50's and early 60's where Blue Note recorded some of the best Jazz in existence (IMO a period never repeated or can be repeated).

Some names away from the usual go to's like Miles and Coltrane are:

Lee Morgan

Freddie Hubbard

Blue Mitchell

Hank Mobley

Gordon Dexter

Art Blakey

Jackie McLean

Stanley Turrentine

Lou Donaldson

Sonny Rollins

Sonny Clarke

there are so many streaming services around, it's so easy to just search and play from suggestions in Currently Spinning.

Hope this helps

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

I love that album and it's really good quality even though it was recorded decades ago.

It is certainly a great album. One thing I discovered when I started listening more to jazz is that a lot of recordings from that period were very well recorded. That is particularly true for jazz recordings, seems to be the rule rather than the exception. That surprised me at first, as most of the non-jazz recordings I had previously heard from that time didn't sound that great from an audio perspective, and I'd assumed that would be the case for all recordings from the time. I was very pleased to have that assumption proved wrong!

1 hour ago, HypnoToad said:

I love that album and it's really good quality even though it was recorded decades ago.

The drum solo in Take Five and when the full band comes back in was more or less the moment I fell in love with my speakers (Amphion Argon 2 Anniversary -http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/equipment/amphion_argon2_anniversary.htm) and decided I had to own them. 

• 1 month later...

As many others have suggested see a GP if you suspect you are depressed.

Another key symptom of depression is: have you lost interest in only HiFi, or in other interests and in life in general. You state you are generally happy. So maybe not depression?

There maybe another cause such as hearing loss in a particular part of the frequency range, or you may have some other treatable condition which can be diagnosed if you see a GP. An initial assessment which would probably be followed up with blood tests is a simple start. If someone has not seen a GP for sum time, a general check up, is something all should do and not just your self.

Good luck, and hopefully happy listening in the future.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Happy said:

Music doesn't interest me like it used to anymore. At least for the time being that is. No big deal.

We all go thru phases. I'm currently mildly obsessed with travel vlogs on youtube so music isn't getting much of a look in at home. I've been going through a stressful period at work and find the idea of watching families or retired couples sell up everything and travel full time is quite inspirational. Sadly retirement is at least 15 years away.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

This is a wonderfully supportive set of posts. 

At times I have been through periods where I have struggled to find joy in anything. Music included. It made no sense, because there was no obvious reason why I should be disinterested or dissatisfied with my life at that time. It took a long time before I did the Beyond Blue survey to find I was depressed. I am fortunate that I was not seriously ill and recovered naturally over time. 

One of the joys in life can be rediscovery of past pleasures - and for me that includes particular pieces of music. It’s a recurring theme for me and provides a constancy in my life. Listening to music is something to which I nearly always return. It’s like catching up with old friends and then becoming inspired to meet new ones. 

Not feeling interested and taking a break is not something to beat oneself up about. Take a break in the comfort that it’s awaiting your return, when you are ready. 

• Like 3

I am very new to HiFi (some months), so could other more experienced members of our community comment on the following. Is is possible some people with the aim of HiFi. And who have built up a system, that is capable of very high detail of a source. Have crossed over a personal threshold, where their system is to bright.

I have read where people love the detail of their HiFi, but can only listen to the system for a limited time. The music feels like a drill is trying to bore a hole in their head.

If the lack of pleasure for music, occurred after a particular component was added. And while a greater detail of the music was obtained, you seem not to want to listen to the HiFi. Consider, is your system to bright, or some other consideration others of the forum may be  familiar with?

In addition, as we get older our taste buds change, does our hearing change over time in regard to Warm/neutral/bright the older we get as a general rule?

Sorry for the questions and not answers. 

12 hours ago, blybo said:

We all go thru phases. I'm currently mildly obsessed with travel vlogs on youtube so music isn't getting much of a look in at home. I've been going through a stressful period at work and find the idea of watching families or retired couples sell up everything and travel full time is quite inspirational. Sadly retirement is at least 15 years away.

And I’m digging the noise of my car exhaust pipes over music lately...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ampup said:

I am very new to HiFi (some months), so could other more experienced members of our community comment on the following. Is is possible some people with the aim of HiFi. And who have built up a system, that is capable of very high detail of a source. Have crossed over a personal threshold, where their system is to bright.

I have read where people love the detail of their HiFi, but can only listen to the system for a limited time. The music feels like a drill is trying to bore a hole in their head.

If the lack of pleasure for music, occurred after a particular component was added. And while a greater detail of the music was obtained, you seem not to want to listen to the HiFi. Consider, is your system to bright, or some other consideration others of the forum may be  familiar with?

In addition, as we get older our taste buds change, does our hearing change over time in regard to Warm/neutral/bright the older we get as a general rule?

Sorry for the questions and not answers. 

If you feel your setup sounds too bright then that’s what it is... Change your speakers or maybe amps. Or get some room treatment.