Apathy and stopping listening to music

I don't know if it's symptomatic of depression or what, but lately I'm finding it almost a chore to actually play music.  I just can't get inspired.  Crazy as my system as it currently stands is the best its ever been.

Current rig is a Garrard 401 on a custom brushbox and corian plinth with a The Wand unipivot arm and a Paradox Pulse rebodied DL103r.  CD source is an Audiolab 8000 CDE with custom offboard PSU.  Speakers are Martin Logan Electromotion ESL.   Amplification wise I've got a Project phonobox running into an Audio Analogue Primo Settanta.  

Without doubt the amplification area is where upgrades are needed, they are certainly the limiting point in the hifi chain, problem is I'm barely listening at all anymore...  I've spent 25 years getting to this point and all of a sudden I'm just going "Meh..."

Don't know why, but it makes further audio purchases very hard to justify.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FR DRew said:

I don't know if it's symptomatic of depression or what, but lately I'm finding it almost a chore to actually play music.  I just can't get inspired.  Crazy as my system as it currently stands is the best its ever been.

Current rig is a Garrard 401 on a custom brushbox and corian plinth with a The Wand unipivot arm and a Paradox Pulse rebodied DL103r.  CD source is an Audiolab 8000 CDE with custom offboard PSU.  Speakers are Martin Logan Electromotion ESL.   Amplification wise I've got a Project phonobox running into an Audio Analogue Primo Settanta.  

Without doubt the amplification area is where upgrades are needed, they are certainly the limiting point in the hifi chain, problem is I'm barely listening at all anymore...  I've spent 25 years getting to this point and all of a sudden I'm just going "Meh..."

Hey Bro,

I'm thinking there may be something else going on in your life.

It doesn't sound like a tongue in cheek comment to me. 

Mental health seems rampnt in our society at present. Especially in men. If you are a big lover of music and suddenly lose the passion. That tells me that maybe there are other issues at play.

Depression and anxiety has touched my life, and it's a real bastard. And through it all, music has been the one constant in my life that got me through it. 

If you are depressed, or think you are depressed, reach out further mate. I admire you for raising this issue on such a public forum, if that is the case, and l wish you all the best for the future.

Ken

• Like 29

is it the chase and not the catch, the journey and not the destination, you have already mentioned a future path, maybe you need to follow that before delving too deeply into the reasoning for your hiatus, we all have moments in our hi-fi life that seem pointless, a distraction(as mentioned prior posts, other hobby) could be something to refresh your interest, then some new music to challenge you and your system

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Side Topic:  The only audio "measurement" that interests me is how often I switch the thing on. If new equipment actually pleases me this effect is rather obvious.

and yes - at other times it can seem a chore to listen to some music. Constantly switching tracks / albums would be another sign of the displeasure and anxiety.  If I recognized that issue for what it is it might rescue me from some unnecessary upgrades.  Instead of trying to fix it with something new, maybe just wait it out. The magic might come back :) 

• Like 1

It happens to me but more from listening to the one type of amp or speaker so I have a collection of different types like standmount, floorstanders, ESL, DIY speakers and SS, Class D and tube amps. Change them around every few months.

Plus having access to as many collections of music as possible to keep interested including other people’s downloaded music, media streamer etc.

The brain easily tires or looses interest because it is not producing dopamine pleasure chemical reward that needs new and constant stimulation. Individual people vary widely in this.

It could also be that although you have spent 25 years the journey is still ongoing. If you are able to mix with other audiophiles to have a listen and offer equipment and music suggestions that may help. 

I’ve been assisting someone to find their dream speakers ranging from $10-30k and visiting many audio shops and its unexpectedly got my hifi mojo back not only to go forward to find better sound but in all directions including to confirming that my modest system still keeps up with a lot of the new mega stuff and there is much going around in circles.

• Like 3

The continual pursuit of audio nirvana, or at least system perfection, can sometimes feel like one is chasing their tail, which can be tiring and at times demoralising, and may justify taking a break. Not sure if that has anything to do with the Ops comment..

• Like 3

Hey Bro,

I'm thinking there may be something else going on in your life.
It doesn't sound like a tongue in cheek comment to me. 

Mental health seems rampnt in our society at present. Especially in men. If you are a big lover of music and suddenly lose the passion. That tells me that maybe there are other issues at play.

Depression and anxiety has touched my life, and it's a real bastard. And through it all, music has been the one constant in my life that got me through it. 

If you are depressed, or think you are depressed, reach out further mate. I admire you for raising this issue on such a public forum, if that is the case, and l wish you all the best for the future.
Ken

Good thoughts and suggestions. Today is R U OK day.
  • Like 2

I hear you. Been a very long time since I have had regular listening sessions. Just can't seem to get motivated even though I have tons of new records to play as well a a bunch of exotic tubs to try out loaned from generous SNA members. Don't know what it is as I reckon the system is sounding ok so must be a mindset thing going on with me these past months.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FR DRew said:

I don't know if it's symptomatic of depression or what,

This is the most important line in your post.

A good starting point is to do one of the checklists on the Beyond Blue website:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety-and-depression-checklist-k10

Signs of depression are not always evident to the person affected, so the checklist is a good place to start, as is a simple visit to your GP. This may give you further information you can take action on.

If all is well, that’s great. If not, then at least you know, and can get assistance where required.

Regards,

Matt.

Edit: Rereading your post, not sure if I may have misunderstood... maybe you already suffer from depression? Cheers.

Edited by Sub Sonic
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Al.M said:

It happens to me but more from listening to the one type of amp or speaker so I have a collection of different types like standmount, floorstanders, ESL, DIY speakers and SS, Class D and tube amps. Change them around every few months.

I actually have some very different systems in different rooms. 

for example... In my small record collection room I have shoehorned in a system to play 78s (don't want to carry them far) and 45s.  It's a mono only system with 6L6 PP power amp.  That gives me something very different to listen to when I want a change.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think it's natural to have periods when we are less engaged with music.  At times I look at my music collection and feel overwhelmed choosing something to play, and end up doing something else. 

However, I share concerns expressed above regarding your mental health, and agree with what was posted.  I would add if you feel you are feeling that you are becoming depressed, please have a chat with your GP.  He/she can refer you to get assistance under the Better Access Scheme under Medicare.  There are evidence-based strategies to help you re-engage with life.  Depression is treatable, and there is no shame in asking for help.  Please see your GP asap if you are feeling suicidal - these feelings can be intense, but do not last.  Help is available to get you to a better place. 

When you re-engage with music, you might be ready to consider upgrading your amp.  You have a nice setup, removing the limitation in it will allow you to rediscover your music in a new way. 

Take care.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, FR DRew said:

Don't be afraid to have music in the background while doing other stuff as music does not need to be concentrated on to be enjoyed.

Also, consider listening to radio (perhaps internet radio) where the choice is made for you.

I find it a great way to discover new music that I would otherwise not know about.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Firstly all, many thanks for the concern over my wellbeing.  It is hugely appreciated.

I have suffered from depression in the past (25 years back), and one of the symptoms was simply not caring about anything.

Truth be told, although work pressure is presently high, and income relatively low (the joys of small business), I'm presently happier than I've ever been in my life.  But when the apathy hits, I just can't be stuffed listening to music.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First of all, thanks for sharing this with us. Awareness is important in any community and possibly even more so in a male-dominant one such as this. I am sure others feel the same sense of reassurance and recognition when reading about this feeling.

The apathy is a tough one. Often music won’t shake it despite my best efforts to force it to. In my experience, the best way of shaking a bout of apathy is forcing yourself to reach out, do something positive for someone else, lock in a mate to go out for coffee or similar. Breaking the routine (especially if you’re in rinse and repeat grind with a small business!) with a social and positive interaction does wonders I’ve found at least.

R U OK day today, appropriate, but of course it’s not just one day...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Watch some of the soap opera's that your wife watches.   That gets rid of my apathy most times.   or you get sucked into watching one of them :)

LOL!  The day my wife watches a soap opera, I'll know something has gone terribly wrong!  No chance in hell.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/09/2019 at 8:10 PM, FR DRew said:

My "Meh..." problem turned out to be boredom. I loved my favourite tracks and artists but I started to track switch more often and didn't know what I enjoyed any more.

Out of curiosity, I decided to see if my favourites were available on Spotify Premium. Not only were they all there but there were suggestions of similar tracks which I followed and discovered even more tracks that led me on a journey of the most amazing musical experiences from unknown (to me) artists. I have about hundreds of hours of favourites available.

My problem now is that I think I am addicted and have to limit my listening sessions.

While many audiophiles claim the sound is not be audiophile quality if you do an A/B comparison with CDs,  I have found the enjoyment factor overwhelms any technical expectations.

I am running DIY biamped HYPEX nCores, 2019  StereoCoffee LDR preamp, ARIES Mini Spotify streaming and ER Audio hybrid 505 mini ESL panels with a pair of REL subs so your system should sound at least as good.

For about $10 per month, Spotify Premium has reignited my interest in music to a level I never thought was possible.

It's worth a shot! The free version of Spotify sounds pretty ordinary and has annoying ultra loud commercials.

• Like 6

Feeling a bit of that myself at the moment which is bizarre as my system is sounding better than it ever has.... I suspect for me it's that I'm not currently allowed to turn it up enough to be enjoyable as we've a newborn in the house. The other part is I swapped DAC's and my Muji just isn't putting out enough bass. I'll try to address that with upgrades/mods though otherwise the Gieseler GroB will go back in the system. It really is the deep bass that gets your toe tapping despite most musical content being in the midrange.

• Like 2

What a beautiful, supportive discussion. We may be nerds in the eyes of non-audiophiles, but we certainly care for each other.

Physical activity has consistently been shown to help people with depression. Go out for a walk (or run), perhaps take your music with you on a phone or digital audio player. This may be a way for you to connect with your music again. It has definitely worked for me in the past.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Good thoughts and suggestions. Today is R U OK day.
Ha. Didn't know that.

Looks like l may have been wrong about the Ops mental state. Hope so. And that he is ok. Probably just a bad case of Audiophilitus.

For me also, l like the hunt, more than the capture, then I'm looking for the next hunt; and as always, a drain on the bank balance. But pretty happy now with what I've got. Just done some minor tweaking with cables. And just bought a Mofi weight for the turntable. Boy did that make a big difference.

So l think I'm done for now HiFi component wise. Now I'm looking at uncharted waters, chasing new genres of music. Bit more Prog, might try Jazz. Find some more vinyl, now that I've got a decent tt. All good.