Dynamic headphones recommendations please

On 11/09/2019 at 9:54 PM, Bengineer said:

AKG 701 are good. But they are good $300 headphones. They aren't good $2000 headphones.

HD800 (and or s)

Focal Clear

Sony Z1R

Beyer T1 Gen 2

They are all good $1500-$2000 headphones and worth having a listen.

OP - By Dynamic do you mean Dynamic, or you just mean not Stax?

If the later. Then also LCD2, LCD3 used, LCDx, Ether Flow, Ether C Flow, some Hifiman models.

Listening to the headphone you require is a must.  Potential telephone number budget's aside, it seems obvious

that there is a rather nice $1700.00 saving, by defining if there is sufficient difference between a AKG701 , and

others being recommended. Finding out if there are such marked audible differences would be good for other forum members to know as well. 

Generally from experience price is not necessarily any measure of audio quality, in fact it can be the exact opposite.

therein a topic in itself, perhaps for another thread.  

Edited by stereo coffee
  • Like 1

Yes/No.

1. He is on a audiophile forum, he is part of the 1% that place important on reproducing audio better

2. He gave a budget, obviously wants the best option up to that point

3. You can't define the law of diminishing returns without knowing what he hears and finds enjoyment.

$300 AKG701 are good. I like them. But when I listen, I know I don't enjoy them as much as the Focal Clear, or HD800.

So is a headphone costing 5x more "worth it"?

Is it 5x better? No.

Is it worth 5x the price, or worth $1200 more? Yes, to a lot of people on these forums, easily. To most normal people, no.

And we aren't recommending expensive headphones just for the sake of it. HD800 can be had near new $900. Focal clear came on special for $1600 the other day. I think there is a lot of value in those options, especially in a used market.

Sure, all good points regarding budget. Except I don't agree with the Focal Clear / HD800 recommendations for electronic music - the OP's preferred genre. I personally use the Grado SR325e cans for 'studio' music and love them. If this genre was my main priority and I had $4K to spare, the Grado PS2000e would be a no-brainer. But the PS1000e is no slouch and that would be my recommendation to Bronal. (Where are you, Bronal, still with us?).

Edited by was_a

20 hours ago, was_a said:

Sure, all good points regarding budget. Except I don't agree with the Focal Clear / HD800 recommendations for electronic music - the OP's preferred genre. I personally use the Grado SR325e cans for 'studio' music and love them. If this genre was my main priority and I had $4K to spare, the Grado PS2000e would be a no-brainer. But the PS1000e is no slouch and that would be my recommendation to Bronal. (Where are you, Bronal, still with us?).

He has left. Jebaited us.

I haven't heard a Grado since the Alessandro MSPro. And it was kick arse rock n roll for sure. Rebrand of a Grado.

Also @was_a , what Grado you run now? Sell your 2000e?

The MSPro was a RS1e rebrand I think. Super uncomfortable with glasses on. Be better with the big pads.

Few reviews slam the PS2000e. I feel like Grado in general are a love / hate sound signature.

Edited by Bengineer

Still a bargain. Trade in any shitty pair, get $800 off.

Can't lose really, excellent value at $1400 as far as high end cans go.

Only thing I don't like about the Focal design is the headband seems hard/impossible to replace, and its a nice alcantara/suede too.

On 15/09/2019 at 1:39 PM, was_a said:

Where are you, Bronal, still with us?.

Yes, I'm still here!  I've been following the discussion with interest, but there isn't much I can add to it, as I've had only only pair of headphones for the last few years (Stax SR-007 IIs) for a good few years.

On the basis of the various comments made, and a number of online reviews. I'm veering towards the Audeze LCD-Xs.  The only negative I've seen about them is that they are heavier than most other headphones, but again some reviewers have also said that that doesn't make them uncomfortable for extended listening, as they are also very comfortable.

Frankly, I doubt whether any dynamic/planar headphones in my price range will be as good as the Stax so I'll probably end up keeping both systems.

High end headphones isn't about what's better. They are all mostly really good. It starts to blur and becomes more what you find most enjoyable. 

If you're keeping both, don't get something as close as you can to the STAX in my opinion. Get something complimentary. Go try in store and borrow as many models as you can.

Stax sound is what you're used to, but maybe it isn't even what you'd find the most enjoyable. Then again you don't seem too invested in your own thread, so go do you bud. LCD X might be your jams (I've seen people say it's a ...boring almost). Or you might be surprised and love the slamming TH900, nice change from the Stax.

Good luck and go try for yourself first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

If you're keeping both, don't get something as close as you can to the STAX in my opinion. Get something complimentary. Go try in store and borrow as many models as you can.

That's the problem.  I live in Canberra and there is only one store with a variety of phones to audition.

Am I?

Brisbane as zero headphone stores. I think one place may have a LCD-2 to try out.

But managed to find some SNA users that lent me some cans for a listen, otherwise I'd have to buy blind too (which I've done many times, trying out is heaps heaps heaps better).

Otherwise drive to Sydney and spend a day having a listen. Isn't that far away, really.

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

Otherwise drive to Sydney and spend a day having a listen. Isn't that far away, really.

I probably should, but the truth of the matter is that I'm not a headphone freak and listen mainly while I'm on my PC.  I think I've been spoiled having the Staxes, which is why I'd like to get something fairly decent.

Yeah, you probably have.

They are certainly audiophile headphones.

Personally, I would get something with a bit more low end, not crazy, but something with more warmth overall. And it would compliment well with your Stax.

LCD3 might be a good choice to compliment. Not to replace.

TBH even the HD6xx ($200-250) is a nice headphone to have. Laid back, bit dark, light, comfy, smooth. Lot of people with very expensive headphones still have their HD600/HD650 models. Cheap way to find out if you might come around to a different sound signature.

On 17/09/2019 at 2:38 PM, Bengineer said:

Yeah, you probably have.

They are certainly audiophile headphones.

Personally, I would get something with a bit more low end, not crazy, but something with more warmth overall. And it would compliment well with your Stax.

LCD3 might be a good choice to compliment. Not to replace.

TBH even the HD6xx ($200-250) is a nice headphone to have. Laid back, bit dark, light, comfy, smooth. Lot of people with very expensive headphones still have their HD600/HD650 models. Cheap way to find out if you might come around to a different sound signature.

Yeah I think if you don’t already have them the hd6xx are a bit of a steal, especially if you already have a decent headphone amp. The amp genuinely makes a huge difference though. They’re a bit ordinary out of an iPhone but they’re amazing out of an Eddie current zds  

A ZMF dynamic is a great option

I'm thinking of going back to dynamic headphones from my current Woo/Stax system.

I have the Woo GES amp with Stax 007s.  There are two inputs at the back, selectable by means of a toggle switch.  Now that I have an internet tuner, I find this arrangement rather inconvenient.  That's why I'm going to try dynamic phones again - nothing to do with SQ, as they probably won't be as good as the Stax.

I have a MicroZOTL 2 preamp/headphone amp with three inputs on the front that I can use.  My budget for dynamic headphones is $1500 to 2000.  I mainly listen to ambient/electronic and alternative music.  I am way out of touch with what's available or well-regarded and the only brands I'm really familiar with are are Sennheiser, A-T and and AKG, but I've noticed that a lot more have sprung up over the last few years.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  I don't need really accentuated bass.  Detail and tone are more important to me.

• 1 month later...

I’m with Farpun above - ZMFs baby. Like HD650s on steroids, everything bigger and better, way better. Plenty of reviews around and the different models Zach Mehrback produces all have different signatures. I wouldn’t say one over the other. Very difficult to audition though and hard to find at reasonable second hand prices online. This forum has had some Eikons and Atticus I believe. My faves are Aeolus and Verite - sublime.