Rega new Planar 10

I can bet you that is the same deck as the P3 just with a better arm and a ceramic platter. The basic design of the sub-platter drive and their standard bearing is still sub-optimal - it always was. But you just have to pay 8K ozzy pezos for it.

Rega - the history of selling the same turntable over and over again and  beating inflation along the way by not changing your basic design for 46 years. 

Edited by Decky
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Decky said:

I can bet you that is the same deck as the P3 just with a better arm and a ceramic platter. The basic design of the sub-platter drive the bearing is still sub-optimal - it always was. But you just have to pay 8K ozzy pezos for it.

Rega - the history of selling the same turntable over and over again and  beating inflation along the way by not changing your basic design for 46 years. 

Do you have shares in Linn, Project etc? ?

• Like 1

I cannot confirm or deny that....?

BUT - from a DIY perspective I would like to combine higher  end Project decks and Rega arms, which in itself gets you into VPI universe (sort of). On the other hand, we are talking serious money here that starts knocking on Brinkmann doors and P10 cannot come close to that level of engineering and technology. From that perspective, I just see those upmarket Regas as simply overpriced.    

20 minutes ago, Decky said:

I cannot confirm or deny that....?

BUT - from a DIY perspective I would like to combine higher  end Project decks and Rega arms, which in itself gets you into VPI universe (sort of). On the other hand, we are talking serious money here that starts knocking on Brinkmann doors and P10 cannot come close to that level of engineering and technology. From that perspective, I just see those upmarket Regas as simply overpriced.    

Which combo particularly?

1 minute ago, joz said:

Which combo particularly?

Don't know - haven't look into specifics of Rega arms lately, but Project RPM 9  is a very nice starting point for upgrades. After that just working out the basics - central distance, interface, VTA adjustment and alignment. WHatever fits the budget - maybe starting with RB330 and applying all the available mods would be a good start. All of that would still fit well under $3K.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Where do I sign?

I have hidden your pen because....................:)

14 hours ago, Demondes said:

Uk pricing with the alpheta 3 fitted 4499 pounds ($8100 aud)

Which means it will most likely sell for at least $9K+ here and when you get to that spend level there are  many superior alternatives to a Rega.

No doubt the UK audio publications will go into gyro fan person mode over it and YES,  I have not heard it myself, but IMNSHO, Rega decks do not compete or compare well in that price area. I have no doubts it will be a decent 'table and I respect Rega as a brand, but this is evolution of a decades old design with a very low wow factor once the initial appeal wears off and you begin to consider what you can buy for $9-10K

Just consider for a moment the drool worthy alternatives and get back to me if you still want the Rega.:)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Decky said:

I can bet you that is the same deck as the P3 just with a better arm and a ceramic platter. The basic design of the sub-platter drive and their standard bearing is still sub-optimal - it always was. But you just have to pay 8K ozzy pezos for it.

Finally someone had the guts to say what I've been thinking for years.....for the money there are  much...much...better TTs

• Like 4

The Rega combination will cost North of $9K when it gets here so how about  this?

https://krispyaudio.com.au/products/vpi-prime-turntable.html

Then add this:

https://krispyaudio.com.au/products/benz-micro-glider-cartridge.html

This is just a first thought and I am sure others will have more suggestions

Edited by rantan

2 hours ago, EwanS said:

This has made me curious.  Could you suggest one or more  superior alternative table , arm and cartridge set ups  for $8,500 so I can broaden my research? 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/brinkmann-audio-bardo-turntable

Domestic price conversion will be very steep, but it is a very unique piece of technology.  

• Like 1

Whatever happened to their next model t/t , they were supposed to be going to do , had a name rather than a number - the naroid, naraoid or something. 

FTR I didn’t think think the rp6 was that great big jump over my early 90,s planar 3. 

17 hours ago, Decky said:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/brinkmann-audio-bardo-turntable

Domestic price conversion will be very steep, but it is a very unique piece of technology.  

Hows that a comparison ? a Brinkmann Bardo with matching tonearm and cartridge is $20K 

Edited by Chill3

Guest Misterioso
1 minute ago, Chill3 said:

How that a comparison ? a Brinkmann Bardo with matching tonearm and cary is $20K 

The local distributor also sells the Bardo with a Jelco tonearm. When I bought mine, it was the same price as the RP10, I auditioned both.

On 11/09/2019 at 5:25 AM, Decky said:

Wow,this is so wrong for so many reasons. Saying it's the same as the p3 (planar 3 to get it right) with a better arm & platter is ludicrus. The plinth material is completely different, and an very high tech foamed polymer material, external tuned power supply (it won't work perfectly with another p10, Ive tested this myself) with matched serial numbers so you don't mismatch. The arm is a different level (Rega arms are pretty damn good, I've Several SME, even a Dynovector, some Hadcocks etc). I have an old Planar 3, Linn LP12, and my favorite Gyrodec with a modified Rega arm. The bearing & subplatter assembly is beautifully done. 

I know the designer of the latest Rega (not Roy Gandy) and have been to the factory. Twice. 

Have you actually seen the P10? 

Rega recieved the European Metalurgical prize for the best one piece casting, and have since improved their casting system about eight years ago(so much for not changing design for 46 years. 

2 hours ago, magical said:

Wow,this is so wrong for so many reasons. Saying it's the same as the p3 (planar 3 to get it right) with a better arm & platter is ludicrus. The plinth material is completely different, and an very high tech foamed polymer material, external tuned power supply (it won't work perfectly with another p10, Ive tested this myself) with matched serial numbers so you don't mismatch. The arm is a different level (Rega arms are pretty damn good, I've Several SME, even a Dynovector, some Hadcocks etc). I have an old Planar 3, Linn LP12, and my favorite Gyrodec with a modified Rega arm. The bearing & subplatter assembly is beautifully done. 

I know the designer of the latest Rega (not Roy Gandy) and have been to the factory. Twice. 

Have you actually seen the P10? 

Rega recieved the European Metalurgical prize for the best one piece casting, and have since improved their casting system about eight years ago(so much for not changing design for 46 years. 

Words:

- very high tech foamed polymer material

- external tuned power supply

don't mean anything, at least not to me. Also, statements like that sound like they are coming from Donald Trump's school of understanding the world - which makes me cringe every time, in addition to feeling an involuntary urge to vomit.  

Talking about castings - the best metallurgical casting (porosity-free and with uniform mechanical properties) does not automatically result in the best audio performance when used in a turntable. The fact they are using casting as a process (instead of playing with metal 3D printing that can optimise acoustic performance of the whole turntable) just nicely demonstrates their lack of R&D investment and forward looking. On the other hand, I am sure that their marketing department is working 24/7 to come up with more meaningless statements, like those that you used (probably just reading their brochure or paid online review). 

By saying what you quoted I did not want to kill your religious idol - there are some fundamental mechanical problems in designing Rega-like sub-platter mechanics (bearing and drive systems). Nothing to do with them or any other particular audio brand - more as an engineering approach and design principle. I just say that are turntables out there that do not have those problems and offer more for you buck.  Your already mentioned Gyrodec being one of them,  offering some very unique mechanical qualities found usually on much more expensive decks. 

I agree that their arms are good and offer some unique optimisation and modding approaches.  

Edited by Decky
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Decky said:

Words:

- very high tech foamed polymer material

- external tuned power supply

don't mean anything, at least not to me. Also, statements like that sound like they are coming from Donald Trump's school of understanding the world - which makes me cringe every time, in addition to feeling an involuntary urge to vomit.  

Talking about castings - the best metallurgical casting (porosity-free and with uniform mechanical properties) does not automatically result in the best audio performance when used in a turntable. The fact they are using casting as a process (instead of playing with metal 3D printing that can optimise acoustic performance of the whole turntable) just nicely demonstrates their lack of R&D investment and forward looking. On the other hand, I am sure that their marketing department is working 24/7 to come up with more meaningless statements, like those that you used (probably just reading their brochure or paid online review). 

By saying what you quoted I did not want to kill your religious idol - there are some fundamental mechanical problems in designing Rega-like sub-platter mechanics (bearing and drive systems). Nothing to do with them or any other particular audio brand - more as an engineering approach and design principle. I just say that are turntables out there that do not have those problems and offer more for you buck.  Your already mentioned Gyrodec being one of them,  offering some very unique mechanical qualities found usually on much more expensive decks. 

I agree that their arms are good and offer some unique optimisation and modding approaches.  

I'd like you to hear, that despite you rant based on nothing, in their entire operation, Rega have never put up an add Or had printed a brochure. They are also unique in that when asked by Mag's for stock to do reviews their response has always been - go and buy them! I know manufacturers who when requested review models, recieved 60 pairs of speakers.

I've been personally approached by a highly respected Australian reviewer, to sell from my home the excess units he's been given(cleatly to get a good review. This goes back to 6 spare plasma screen when a 42" was $6k.

On 12/09/2019 at 11:05 AM, EwanS said:

This has made me curious.  Could you suggest one or more  superior alternative table , arm and cartridge set ups  for $8,500 so I can broaden my research? 

I've been a Rega fan for quite a few years and actually was waiting for the replacement RP10, however my head was turned and I bought one of these instead:

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=25

Outstanding table, I'm very happy with it and the price is very fair compared to the Rega's. You also feel like you're actually getting something for your money :)

I can't recommend the luxman highly enough. It's pretty much the polar opposite of the Rega though.

On 12/09/2019 at 11:05 AM, EwanS said:

There's actually quite a few. I do get the appeal of the Rega but I'm also not sure on that dust cover. Call me old fashioned but I do like a cover I can use when actually using the player.

Edited by Guest