hugo_wilco

Rega new Planar 10

Wow, really clean design.  

Interesting has there been any reviews?

Nice 👍.

The new P8 is several notches up in performance over the RP8....

i hope the new P10 is also a step up from the RP10 👍

I can bet you that is the same deck as the P3 just with a better arm and a ceramic platter. The basic design of the sub-platter drive and their standard bearing is still sub-optimal - it always was. But you just have to pay 8K ozzy pezos for it.

Rega - the history of selling the same turntable over and over again and  beating inflation along the way by not changing your basic design for 46 years. 

Edited by Decky

3 hours ago, Decky said:

I can bet you that is the same deck as the P3 just with a better arm and a ceramic platter. The basic design of the sub-platter drive the bearing is still sub-optimal - it always was. But you just have to pay 8K ozzy pezos for it.

Rega - the history of selling the same turntable over and over again and  beating inflation along the way by not changing your basic design for 46 years. 

Do you have shares in Linn, Project etc? 😛

I cannot confirm or deny that....😁

BUT - from a DIY perspective I would like to combine higher  end Project decks and Rega arms, which in itself gets you into VPI universe (sort of). On the other hand, we are talking serious money here that starts knocking on Brinkmann doors and P10 cannot come close to that level of engineering and technology. From that perspective, I just see those upmarket Regas as simply overpriced.    

20 minutes ago, Decky said:

I cannot confirm or deny that....😁

BUT - from a DIY perspective I would like to combine higher  end Project decks and Rega arms, which in itself gets you into VPI universe (sort of). On the other hand, we are talking serious money here that starts knocking on Brinkmann doors and P10 cannot come close to that level of engineering and technology. From that perspective, I just see those upmarket Regas as simply overpriced.    

Which combo particularly?

1 minute ago, joz said:

Which combo particularly?

Don't know - haven't look into specifics of Rega arms lately, but Project RPM 9  is a very nice starting point for upgrades. After that just working out the basics - central distance, interface, VTA adjustment and alignment. WHatever fits the budget - maybe starting with RB330 and applying all the available mods would be a good start. All of that would still fit well under $3K.  

19 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Where do I sign?

I have hidden your pen because....................:)

14 hours ago, Demondes said:

Uk pricing with the alpheta 3 fitted 4499 pounds ($8100 aud)

Which means it will most likely sell for at least $9K+ here and when you get to that spend level there are  many superior alternatives to a Rega.

No doubt the UK audio publications will go into gyro fan person mode over it and YES,  I have not heard it myself, but IMNSHO, Rega decks do not compete or compare well in that price area. I have no doubts it will be a decent 'table and I respect Rega as a brand, but this is evolution of a decades old design with a very low wow factor once the initial appeal wears off and you begin to consider what you can buy for $9-10K

Just consider for a moment the drool worthy alternatives and get back to me if you still want the Rega.:)

7 hours ago, Decky said:

I can bet you that is the same deck as the P3 just with a better arm and a ceramic platter. The basic design of the sub-platter drive and their standard bearing is still sub-optimal - it always was. But you just have to pay 8K ozzy pezos for it.

Finally someone had the guts to say what I've been thinking for years.....for the money there are  much...much...better TTs

This has made me curious.  Could you suggest one or more  superior alternative table , arm and cartridge set ups  for $8,500 so I can broaden my research? 

The Rega combination will cost North of $9K when it gets here so how about  this?

https://krispyaudio.com.au/products/vpi-prime-turntable.html

Then add this:

https://krispyaudio.com.au/products/benz-micro-glider-cartridge.html

This is just a first thought and I am sure others will have more suggestions

Edited by rantan