Sign in to follow this  
Timos

Cheap table table.

Hi all,

I've acquired myself a turntable and some vinyl to test out and see if I like the dark side.

At this point in time, I have no room in a rack or space for it.  

I'd like to get something freestanding that I can sit the turntable on just in front of my amp for the time being and move it out of the way when I'm done listening.

Is there any sort of go-to piece of furniture that works well for the money, or should I just get a longer cable and sit it on my coffee table until I decide if vinyl is or isn't for me?

Thanks and I promise to give you feedback once I start spinning these suckers.

Tim.

Why not a small coffee table, or the sort of thing you put on the end of a couch?

Grab yourself an Ikea "Lack" table.

17 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

$12.99 Bargain.

31 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Agreed 100%

Stiff but light stands for suspended t/t (i.e. Linn) and heavy for others.

Lots of options are available, good suggestions above, and the Lack is very popular (but light).  In general, the sturdier the better. 

And remember don't place your turntable in front of your speakers, this is likely to induce feedback (which is quite unpleasant to experience and can damage your speakers). 

What's your turntable? 

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/80245961/#/50245849

Besta is best. (the one in the photo is a 60x40x38cm). Comfortably accommodates 80's era tuner, amp, cassette with a few LPs and turntable on top. Put the Ikea wheels on it, easy to move around. You can store your records or other hifi equipment inside of it. The wheels can also help with attenuating any vibrations. I have used these on carpet and wooden floors without issue.

I have used a few as per the photo and also the taller 60x40x64cm one with a shelf will fit an amplifier/receiver with space for records under the shelf. I glue all joints including the back panel. Once dry and assembled I cut or drill appropriate access holes in the back panel for power, aerials, interconnects, speaker cable etc. The photo setup has a power board attached to the back with all units plugged in. When needed I have just one cord to connect to power and obviously speaker cables. 

IMG_1006.jpeg

17 minutes ago, hiya said:

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/80245961/#/50245849

Besta is best. (the one in the photo is a 60x40x38cm). Comfortably accommodates 80's era tuner, amp, cassette with a few LPs and turntable on top. Put the Ikea wheels on it, easy to move around. You can store your records or other hifi equipment inside of it. The wheels can also help with attenuating any vibrations. I have used these on carpet and wooden floors without issue.

I have used a few as per the photo and also the taller 60x40x64cm one with a shelf will fit an amplifier/receiver with space for records under the shelf. I glue all joints including the back panel. Once dry and assembled I cut or drill appropriate access holes in the back panel for power, aerials, interconnects, speaker cable etc. The photo setup has a power board attached to the back with all units plugged in. When needed I have just one cord to connect to power and obviously speaker cables. 

IMG_1006.jpeg

Do you have any overheating problems with the amp because of it being on the bottom of the stack ?  - not ideal for venting amp heat

No - most of the back of the cabinet is cut out. I have often found more problems with amps at the top of a stack rather than the bottom. I suspect because of heat trapping within the top of the cabinet.

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Lots of options are available, good suggestions above, and the Lack is very popular (but light).  In general, the sturdier the better. 

And remember don't place your turntable in front of your speakers, this is likely to induce feedback (which is quite unpleasant to experience and can damage your speakers). 

What's your turntable? 

The turntable I have is an Audio Technica LP5.

17 minutes ago, Timos said:

The turntable I have is an Audio Technica LP5.

A reasonable turntable to get started - I hope you enjoy "the dark side", as you put it.

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

And remember don't place your turntable in front of your speakers,

or behind rear firing ported speakers

Edited by aussievintage