Sign in to follow this  
aussievintage

Oldest Hifi demo/test record?

This is the oldest I have found.  From Nixa.  Note that it's mono.  Looks like it from the early 50s

DSC_0276.jpg.02e846f20ec8448312bfaba2cf224c35.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg.76652ebf99167cc9b08f4c2a44196c47.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg.dcc11cfe697877d46a3bd4a3ad11ec8f.jpg

These are mine.

I think the oldest one is 1961

More curiosities really, as I am not fanatical about set up, but find them invaluable for setting antiskate

664412463_Testrecord(2).thumb.JPG.51b84058a2a42af144e4637bcc9b0efb.JPG

Edited by EV Cali
new photo

10 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

These are mine.

I think the oldest one is 1961

More curiosities really, as I am not fanatical about set up, but find them invaluable for setting antiskate

I find demo records fun to play.  I tend to play the tests once just to hear what they've done, but sometimes the example tracks are good listening.

I have the Aussie Hifi and the Decca that you have, plus quite a few others.

Not the oldest, but the oddest: The Official National Lampoon Stereo Test and Demonstration Record was a parody of demonstration records.  It's very funny, but the tests on it are valid and useful.  They followed it up with a cassette test/demo tape. 

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Not the oldest, but the oddest: The Official National Lampoon Stereo Test and Demonstration Record was a parody of demonstration records.  It's very funny, but the tests on it are valid and useful.  They followed it up with a cassette test/demo tape. 

Heh, after a few seconds listening it is obvious where they are going.  No reason a test record can't be fun though.

I've picked up some old hifi test records from op shops over the years.  I'm surprised how trashed some of them are - battered covers, dirty, many deep and light scratches, etc.  It's not like they are records that you would expect to play very many times. 

5 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I've picked up some old hifi test records from op shops over the years.  I'm surprised how trashed some of them are - battered covers, dirty, many deep and light scratches, etc.  It's not like they are records that you would expect to play very many times. 

I wonder if some of them didn't lie around in repair shops in or out of their covers, and get abused day in day out.

1 hour ago, EekOZ said:

Whilst not as old, I have this one from 1963.

https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-Stereo-Spectacular-Demonstration-Sound-Effects/release/777111

Just thought I'd share as it's interesting to see what's out there. :)

That AF label is the one that claims they made the first stereo record, and they put out some, well, different stuff. I played one the other day that was tunes played on a Wurlitzer Pipe organ :) 

I'll photograph a few more of mine and post later today.   

Here's some more from my collection.

One of my favourites is the AR one (last bottom right).  Best sound on record I have nearly.

DSC_0278.jpg.9b1997c4acf724edf6ecc11b01cc0ef6.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg.cf0119732f8bb824b118da2bc61b8c46.jpg

This won’t be the oldest by a long shot, (‘60s?/‘70s?) but I can’t find a year anywhere (long day and poor light - I’ll look again in better light).

It is NM though and cost the grand total of $10.

0852071E-12F3-4F90-8C39-593E4A0293C3.jpeg

1FDA08AD-A182-4093-B474-13AF55897516.jpeg

Edited by furtherpale

6 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

This won’t be the oldest by a long shot, but I can’t find a year anywhere (long day and poor light - I’ll look again in better light).

It is NM though and cost the grand total of $10.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Impact/master/678934

I've located my Nixa test record, I was given it last year when some relatives cleared out a deceased parent's collection.  The person looking through the records thought it would be something I would be interested in.  I was shown some photos of other albums that were being let go, and when I expressed interest in the mono VGC Rolling Stones album I was told (after a delay) that they would be keeping that one!

Anyway, back to the Nixa.  My copy looks to be latter than the OP's.  It came in the very old generic cardboard sleeve in the pic (with circular holes to see the label).  The printed information shown appears to be the back of the original sleeve, cut out with scissors.  I have no idea what the original front sleeve looks like (although it's probably on Discogs). 

Interestingly, it says it's a "Westminster Recording".  I've only just become aware of this company (via another music forum).  They were a classical label from 1949 to 1965, and according to Wikipedia:

"Early on, its recordings were technically superior to most others in the marketplace, and the label became popular among the growing community of audiophiles. In the late 1950s the company began issuing stereophonic recordings, ... The "Westminster Laboratory" (W-Lab) series of classical recordings were technically superior to other brands and sold at higher price than the regular Westminsters."

235431865_Nixatestlabel.jpg.9c36375443019ef7b1ba986e580dfff1.jpg

1965269885_Nixacover.jpg.4407db59b9fde6051aecf73f122d919d.jpg

3 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I've located my Nixa test record, I was given it last year when some relatives cleared out a deceased parent's collection.  The person looking through the records thought it would be something I would be interested in.  I was shown some photos of other albums that were being let go, and when I expressed interest in the mono VGC Rolling Stones album I was told (after a delay) that they would be keeping that one!

Anyway, back to the Nixa.  My copy looks to be latter than the OP's.  It came in the very old generic cardboard sleeve in the pic (with circular holes to see the label).  The printed information shown appears to be the back of the original sleeve, cut out with scissors.  I have no idea what the original front sleeve looks like (although it's probably on Discogs). 

Interestingly, it says it's a "Westminster Recording".  I've only just become aware of this company (via another music forum).  They were a classical label from 1949 to 1965, and according to Wikipedia:

"Early on, its recordings were technically superior to most others in the marketplace, and the label became popular among the growing community of audiophiles. In the late 1950s the company began issuing stereophonic recordings, ... The "Westminster Laboratory" (W-Lab) series of classical recordings were technically superior to other brands and sold at higher price than the regular Westminsters."

Definitely looks to be an improved (later) version of mine, yes.

btw.  I have a good mono copy of the original Rolling Stones LP.  Love the early blues stuff they covered.  

and Westminster, yep - great quality music.