Matt Kuehne

racing sim setups

SHOW ME YOUR RACE SIM SETUPS.

ANY ADVICE FOR A NEW SETUP, SOMETHING AWESOME IS THE PLAN

Edited by Matt Kuehne

I went a little bit silly a while back and took over the kid's toyroom, much to their disgust. This started out as a way of getting them used to driving, whilst also giving me some thrills from time to time...

After buying the Thrustmaster TX Leather setup, I whacked a WRX bucket seat on a moveable base, hard-mounted a TX wheel and T3PA pedals onto a piece of Sweden's finest furniture, hacked into a USB keyboard to create a brain centre which controls a button box, DIY handbrake and sequential shifter, and carbon-fibre magnetic paddle shifters from Ascher Racing installed on one of my DIY OMP steering wheels (thanks China via ebay!). There's also the TH8A H-pattern gearbox with shorter shifter, and the pedals have been extensively modded with different springs to give more realistic feel, and a load cell on the brake pedal which turns the brake pedal into a pressure-based setup, rather than travel-based. 

Ironically, it's getting to the point where the kids can't use it - the brake pedal is too firm for little legs! Bad Daddy...

I desperately need a better TV in there to make the most of the XBOX One . The old Hitachi plasma has since gone, and there's a freebie Soniq 42" 1080P LCD in its place which looks surprisingly OK. A 55" 4K is on the wish list.

file2.jpg.c2c2df3dbdc28b75a1bb5e70bc565b2b.jpg

file1-2.jpg.6b51dbde438d85e57a3f86f332e95f32.jpg

file3.jpg.368a24077842aadc853a42d5bb60c7b9.jpg

file4.jpg.c61a1273f961b1cc91250708d0b657b2.jpg

file-4.jpg.43be4bb013895bc15a7acbef7f6f2a5d.jpg

Some very nice set ups here!  Can't say I'm not envious.  No room at Chez Gruffie for such indulgences unfortunately.  😞

8 hours ago, figjam said:

Check out the Pagnian Imports website.

https://www.pagnianimports.com.au/

Yep, that's where I bought my wheelbase.

As a decent entry-level setup, the Thrustmaster TX base is a good thing. The TS-XW/TS-PC are better yet again, with more torque.

The T3PA pedals are also pretty decent when the supplied conical brake mod is installed, although a load cell upgrade and spring swap is worth doing. You can only really upgrade the pedals if you have a rig to bolt them to... they simply won't stay in place on carpet etc if you go for more realistic pedal feel.

I also rate the TH8A shifter, although I've also modded mine for a bit more resistance and have installed a shorter shifter from Russia (DimSim) who also make superb steering wheel adaptors.

I've never used Fanatec gear, nor had a crack on a proper direct-drive wheelbase, but I've found the Thrustmaster setup to be damn good. I've accrued a few fastest lap times on the global XBOX leaderboard for Project Cars 2, including the fastest outright time around Mt Panorama in a F1 car :)

On 10/09/2019 at 11:41 AM, pete_mac said:

I went a little bit silly a while back and took over the kid's toyroom, much to their disgust. This started out as a way of getting them used to driving, whilst also giving me some thrills from time to time...

After buying the Thrustmaster TX Leather setup, I whacked a WRX bucket seat on a moveable base, hard-mounted a TX wheel and T3PA pedals onto a piece of Sweden's finest furniture, hacked into a USB keyboard to create a brain centre which controls a button box, DIY handbrake and sequential shifter, and carbon-fibre magnetic paddle shifters from Ascher Racing installed on one of my DIY OMP steering wheels (thanks China via ebay!). There's also the TH8A H-pattern gearbox with shorter shifter, and the pedals have been extensively modded with different springs to give more realistic feel, and a load cell on the brake pedal which turns the brake pedal into a pressure-based setup, rather than travel-based. 

Ironically, it's getting to the point where the kids can't use it - the brake pedal is too firm for little legs! Bad Daddy...

I desperately need a better TV in there to make the most of the XBOX One . The old Hitachi plasma has since gone, and there's a freebie Soniq 42" 1080P LCD in its place which looks surprisingly OK. A 55" 4K is on the wish list.

file2.jpg.c2c2df3dbdc28b75a1bb5e70bc565b2b.jpg

file1-2.jpg.6b51dbde438d85e57a3f86f332e95f32.jpg

file3.jpg.368a24077842aadc853a42d5bb60c7b9.jpg

file4.jpg.c61a1273f961b1cc91250708d0b657b2.jpg

file-4.jpg.43be4bb013895bc15a7acbef7f6f2a5d.jpg

Jeezusss Pete I wish you were my Dad! 😍

On 10/09/2019 at 11:41 AM, pete_mac said:

I went a little bit silly a while back

Yes you did Pete!   

Awesome silly.