racing sim setups

I went a little bit silly a while back and took over the kid's toyroom, much to their disgust. This started out as a way of getting them used to driving, whilst also giving me some thrills from time to time...

After buying the Thrustmaster TX Leather setup, I whacked a WRX bucket seat on a moveable base, hard-mounted a TX wheel and T3PA pedals onto a piece of Sweden's finest furniture, hacked into a USB keyboard to create a brain centre which controls a button box, DIY handbrake and sequential shifter, and carbon-fibre magnetic paddle shifters from Ascher Racing installed on one of my DIY OMP steering wheels (thanks China via ebay!). There's also the TH8A H-pattern gearbox with shorter shifter, and the pedals have been extensively modded with different springs to give more realistic feel, and a load cell on the brake pedal which turns the brake pedal into a pressure-based setup, rather than travel-based. 

Ironically, it's getting to the point where the kids can't use it - the brake pedal is too firm for little legs! Bad Daddy...

I desperately need a better TV in there to make the most of the XBOX One . The old Hitachi plasma has since gone, and there's a freebie Soniq 42" 1080P LCD in its place which looks surprisingly OK. A 55" 4K is on the wish list.

file2.jpg.c2c2df3dbdc28b75a1bb5e70bc565b2b.jpg

file1-2.jpg.6b51dbde438d85e57a3f86f332e95f32.jpg

file3.jpg.368a24077842aadc853a42d5bb60c7b9.jpg

file4.jpg.c61a1273f961b1cc91250708d0b657b2.jpg

file-4.jpg.43be4bb013895bc15a7acbef7f6f2a5d.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, figjam said:

Check out the Pagnian Imports website.

https://www.pagnianimports.com.au/

Yep, that's where I bought my wheelbase.

As a decent entry-level setup, the Thrustmaster TX base is a good thing. The TS-XW/TS-PC are better yet again, with more torque.

The T3PA pedals are also pretty decent when the supplied conical brake mod is installed, although a load cell upgrade and spring swap is worth doing. You can only really upgrade the pedals if you have a rig to bolt them to... they simply won't stay in place on carpet etc if you go for more realistic pedal feel.

I also rate the TH8A shifter, although I've also modded mine for a bit more resistance and have installed a shorter shifter from Russia (DimSim) who also make superb steering wheel adaptors.

I've never used Fanatec gear, nor had a crack on a proper direct-drive wheelbase, but I've found the Thrustmaster setup to be damn good. I've accrued a few fastest lap times on the global XBOX leaderboard for Project Cars 2, including the fastest outright time around Mt Panorama in a F1 car :)

• Love 1

On 10/09/2019 at 11:41 AM, pete_mac said:

I went a little bit silly a while back and took over the kid's toyroom, much to their disgust. This started out as a way of getting them used to driving, whilst also giving me some thrills from time to time...

After buying the Thrustmaster TX Leather setup, I whacked a WRX bucket seat on a moveable base, hard-mounted a TX wheel and T3PA pedals onto a piece of Sweden's finest furniture, hacked into a USB keyboard to create a brain centre which controls a button box, DIY handbrake and sequential shifter, and carbon-fibre magnetic paddle shifters from Ascher Racing installed on one of my DIY OMP steering wheels (thanks China via ebay!). There's also the TH8A H-pattern gearbox with shorter shifter, and the pedals have been extensively modded with different springs to give more realistic feel, and a load cell on the brake pedal which turns the brake pedal into a pressure-based setup, rather than travel-based. 

Ironically, it's getting to the point where the kids can't use it - the brake pedal is too firm for little legs! Bad Daddy...

I desperately need a better TV in there to make the most of the XBOX One . The old Hitachi plasma has since gone, and there's a freebie Soniq 42" 1080P LCD in its place which looks surprisingly OK. A 55" 4K is on the wish list.

file2.jpg.c2c2df3dbdc28b75a1bb5e70bc565b2b.jpg

file1-2.jpg.6b51dbde438d85e57a3f86f332e95f32.jpg

file3.jpg.368a24077842aadc853a42d5bb60c7b9.jpg

file4.jpg.c61a1273f961b1cc91250708d0b657b2.jpg

file-4.jpg.43be4bb013895bc15a7acbef7f6f2a5d.jpg

Jeezusss Pete I wish you were my Dad! ?

• Like 1

Wow these setups are nuts. 

I am currently just using using one of the next level where stands as space is a premium at home and I can’t leave it setup at my pc as I play various games and also work at the same desk. 

Using a Logitech wheel with shifter. 

I kind of wish the wheel was bigger. The build quality is ok. Just feels small. I was considering 3d printing an adapter to run a 3rd party whew but even then i am not a huge fan of the notchy force feedback. 

I am am going to upgrade my shifter to the thrustmaster this week as regardless of what way I go I think that is going to happen. 

Kind of eyeballing the t300rs at the moment but wondering if it’s worth the cost of admission or whether I just drive my Logitech into the dust then upgrade wheels. 

Regardless its great to see people who are also into audio, also into sim. 

Scott

• 3 months later...

So that escalated. 

I now have the fanatec csl elite wheel, fanatec shifter and fanatec clubsport pedals with a playseat challenge fold up rig. 

love it!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Whatever you do stay away from TrakRacer rigs , i have the RS6 Mach II and it's a POS !!!!

The seat is for small people only (i'm 70kg 179cm) my mate who is just over 6 foot struggles to fit in it , it's the most uncomfortable seat i have ever used and very restrictive , i hate it , i have added quite a bit of extra padding to make it usable and i am looking for a replacement seat.

The wheel base is not rock stable as they advertise , mine has up to 1 cm of movement and is not square with the seat , very annoying.

Pedal tray the same thing , i had to add blocks of wood underneath it to stop the movement.

I was very disappointed with mine and felt like i had been ripped off , i emailed all my issues to TrakRacer but the responses made me feel like he didn't care at all now he had my money. 

I also have the triple monitor stand (i used to have 3 x 27" screens but upgraded to a single 49" ultrawide and it's awesome). The stand is horrible too , it took me over 2 hours trying to align the 2 side screens with the the centre and i still couldn't get it to align properly.

Bottom line it's cheap chinese crap , stay clear.

I do have the Fanatec clubsport V2.5 wheel base and Mclaren GT3 wheel , both of these are awesome , best thing i purchased for sim racing.

I also have the HE Pro Pedals and they are awesome too , feeling and modulation is on another level compared to fanatec clubsport V3 pedals , but are a bit expensive ($1000)

This is all on PC , i still have an Xbox 1x that i never use since moving to PC , you can do so much more with PC.

Cheers

David Hawke

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

My experience with TrackRacer has been good, but i skipped the smaller frames and bought their biggest aluminium extrusion TR160. Support was good too, expressed posted me a few extra T-nuts and washers when I asked as was short.

DSC_0389.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I ended up upgrading to the TrakRacer TR80 rig with my own seat ( Saas Kombat seat , very comfortable) and the inverted pedal mount , the inverted pedal mount works well and the TR80 rig is nice and solid with no flex with lots of adjustability , much much better than the crap RS6 Mach 2 I had.

Fanatec DD1 

Fanatec Mclaren GT3 Wheel ( V1 and V2 , best value wheel out there)

He Pro Pedals

Samsung 49" Ultrawide monitor (5140 x 1440)

Hp Reverb G2 VR headset

I5-10600k

RTX3080

1TB nvme ssd

My_Driving_Rig.jpg

• Like 1

Guest niterida

I have a unknown brand rig - looks a bit like a Trak Racer style and is crap. But it cost me $80 with a reasonable seat and a set of Thrustmaster pedals and wheel which I sold for $20. I already had T300RS  and G29 pedals which I have modified with hydraulic brakes for absolute realism. Cost me less than $50 :)

I only run Oculus Rift VR as it gives the best immersion but is a PITA cos you can't see the keyboard etc.

Running from PC and using Assetto Corsa. Tried using Competizione but the graphics in VR are absolutely terrible and there is no support for it or upgrades planned from the makers. So I gave up on it.

Tried PC2 but don't find it as realistic as AC and the menus drive me nuts.

So going to bite the $ bullet and get back to iRacing as the online race are much better.

No pics as I am away from home for a few days.

Looking at upgrading to full motion simulator very soon.

Give Rfactor 2 a go , it's the most realistic handling of any driving simulator , it is way more fun and enjoyable to drive than iracing the only thing letting it down is the online side of things but if you have some friends you can setup a local server and choose your own tracks and cars and race with your mates , this is what I was doing and it was a blast.

Now I only play WRC 9 and do the Esports as I am now part of a team (World Erally Racers).

Edited by DavidH71

Guest niterida
10 hours ago, DavidH71 said:

Give Rfactor a go , it's the most realistic handling of any driving simulator , it is way more fun and enjoyable to drive than iracing the only thing letting it down is the online side of things but if you have some friends you can setup a local server and choose your own tracks and cars and race with your mates , this is what I was doing and it was a blast.

Now I only play WRC 9 and do the Esports as I am now part of a team (World Erally Racers).

I have no friends. Why do you think I hang out here on the forum :(

• 1 month later...
Guest niterida

I have bought myself a Dofreality H3 motion simulator :)

Pics to follow once I get it built and fix my broken hydraulic-loadcell (hydracell, hydraload, cellaulic or  loadulic ?) hybrid brakes .......

Edited by niterida

• 4 weeks later...

Went Trackracer and Fanatec DD1. PS4 version to work between Grand Turismo and Assetto Corsa - I find the PC version of AC better than the PS4 version. Fanatec build quality is awesome.

I put the frame on wheels for easy moving to double as a Zwift indoor cycling setup. Also may have gone a little nuts with the latest PC build.. 😁

IMG_0804.thumb.jpeg.ccd0f5b620971eb70c249851e2224c99.jpeg

CD004B35-7881-4563-865D-27997EBF4D9C.thumb.jpeg.f895c4e39049f8b66f76c89016e4297f.jpeg

• Like 3

Guest niterida

Well I got my 2nd hand Dofreality H3 set up and took me weeks of troubleshooting with Dofreality and SRS Support before I found a loose connector inside the controller. But then once it was up and running one of the motors whines like a whiny person (can't say the b word) and of them moves slower than the other and drops when you put pressure on it. So I am up for 2 new motors. $250USD each from Dofreality or $80USD direct from the OEM in China.

Not too exited about it though with the little driving I have done so far - not enough movement to really simulate the G forces - although the traction loss is pretty good.

2 hours ago, sly_bastard said:

My third iteration of my setup, just completed over the weekend and it's final amazing. Only the cost of a small car haha

Looking good. Gets pricey quick doesn't it? I think my better half is regretting not letting me get a track car - could have been cheaper! 🤣