Sign in to follow this  
aussievintage

A Belafonte rescue

Any Belafonte fans?  I am.   Now I would have said my favourite was "Sings the blues" and then the Carnegie Hall concert double.

Today I rescued this one, and it has shot up there with the other two as an excellent Belafonte record.  You can see the cover is tattered, and the record was loose with no liner and it looked bad.  Still it was $1 at the charity store, so I brought it home.  Glad I did, as it cleaned up and is VERY playable.  The content is a strange mixture of music from different cultures, and his Aussie accent on the Queensland version of Waltzing Matilda is hilarious.   A great recording technically - Living Stereo near it's best.

DSC_0274.jpg.a040c618be2fb2ae3fff7bbfea66ccc1.jpg

Belafonte is quite under-rated in this day.  The Carnegie Hall concert should be in every audiophile's collection, as a fantastic technical recording and great music.  It comes up in op shops periodically.

Have never seen "Streets I Have Walked" before.  I can imagine how good the Living Stereo recording is.

9 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Belafonte is quite under-rated in this day.  The Carnegie Hall concert should be in every audiophile's collection, as a fantastic technical recording and great music.  It comes up in op shops periodically.

Have never seen "Streets I Have Walked" before.  I can imagine how good the Living Stereo recording is.

I just did a search of my database, and I have about 16 albums of his.  Sad?  I don't think so, but they vary a lot in quality of content.  It's a bit like Nat King Cole - I have collected lots of his stuff as well - just cleaned up one with the George Shearing Quintet last night.

Yes, some Belafonte is better than others.  But when he's good he's great.