Is the Pioneer PLX1000 a good entry TT?

Dear TT heads I've come to ask this as I'm getting stuck.

Last week I was in with a chance of picking up the VPI TNT-II that a few were frothing over, but alas I dipped out. It seemed good value but I was more taken by the styling than probably its replay capability.

So it started me thinking, not sure if I'm ready to drop bigish coin on this part time replay rig. Will I get sucked into more vinyl? will I want to? Not sure about having another exxy ornament just to talk about it.

Cos I'm not really that extreme with my vinyl love as many here are and I am uber happy with my Digi rig. 

But I still want something that can challenge it the odd times I want to play something for my limited collection. 

Actually the funny thing is I have bought more vinyl now while I am without a TT as it's away being repaired. 

Ok back to my original question.

The Pioneer PLX-1000 with a decent cart? It's nothing razzle or dazzle but how good can it get?

Whadya think? Brand new , any merit and how does it compare with the tried and tested but old Techi 1200? 

Wisdom please!

Just now, Sime said:

If I was going for a new TT now I’d be looking at that new Schiit one, if it’s in the same price range as the one your looking at. 

But the waiting game.

If I can wait mine probably be back soon and I could play with carts with that but..

.....PLX 1000 + Ortofon Headshell/2M Black....

"Bout as good as its gets in the (upper end of the ) entry level arena IMO...arm is good enough ( just) for the Black though a Bronze will suffice i reckon...shopping around should see you one around the $1500.00

mark....

Remember to adjust the arm bearings as they can be slightly ...er..."Off"....

IMG_0591.thumb.jpg.636de67b372874fa843a712bf1ab02da.jpg

Mine aint put to shame by the other much more capable deck...

IMG_0592.thumb.jpg.4c272c5db6cf874939a19ab3c23142e2.jpg

Have fun...

Tase.

Edited by Tasebass
  • Like 2

If you're keen on direct-drive without  the DJ add-ons like pitch control, the Audio Technica AT-LP5 looks to be a good thing (although it lacks VTA adjustment):

https://www.storedj.com.au/audio-technica-lp5-direct-drive-hi-fi-turntable-w-at95ex-high-performance-cart-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3Kukn7TA5AIViwsrCh3gyAv1EAYYASABEgLw4PD_BwE

http://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/audio_technica_at_lp5_phono_cartridge_review_test.pdf

I'm also a fan of the Reloop products (which are Hanpin-sourced, like the Pioneer) but considerably cheaper:

https://djcity.com.au/product/reloop-rp-7000mk2-dj-turntable-black/

There's also the limited edition 'gold' version for a few bucks extra:

https://djcity.com.au/product/reloop-rp-7000gldmk2-direct-drive-scratch-gold-dj-turntable/

• Like 1

.....PLX 1000 + Ortofon Headshell/2M Black....

"Bout as good as its gets in the (upper end of the ) entry level arena IMO...arm is good enough ( just) for the Black though a Bronze will suffice i reckon...shopping around should see you one around the $1500.00
mark....
Remember to adjust the arm bearings as they can be slightly ...er..."Off"....

IMG_0591.thumb.jpg.636de67b372874fa843a712bf1ab02da.jpg

Mine aint put to shame by the other much more capable deck...

IMG_0592.thumb.jpg.4c272c5db6cf874939a19ab3c23142e2.jpg

Have fun...

Tase.

That’s zachary same as I run PLX1000/OM2 Black. Sounds great - I also run a bunch of other Lo to mid-fi MC carts - pretty good combo and it’s a deck I’m comfortable letting my daughter use
  • Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

You’ve got a PF800 for Christ’s sake. 

Wait till it comes back and whack a decent cart on it and be happy. 

Its a Micro Seiki made YAMAHA of high renown. 

32 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

You’ve got a PF800 for Christ’s sake. 

Wait till it comes back and whack a decent cart on it and be happy. 

Its a Micro Seiki made YAMAHA of high renown. 

Best advice here.

• Like 1