Vinyl Is Poised to Outsell CDs For the First Time Since 1986

Hi All,

10 hours ago, needlerunner said:

As long as cassette's don't overtake CD sales?

There are a lot of bands releasing cassettes on Bandcamp, so the resurgence may have begun comrade.

Tape.jpg.950aaaf39826c79105bfddcb37e825aa.jpg

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 1

I never left records 

Records have been my preferred medium since my first turntable and record purchase 

Also my first component CD player purchased was about 10 years ago - So a late take up of digital technology for me 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, metal beat said:

and me.   cd has been dead for a long time.

CD is only a medium to buy cheap digital music from secondhand and charity stores.   Immediately stored on hard disc once I get home.   Listening is done from digital files and streaming, but mostly from vinyl.

Vinyls new found popularity is mostly driven by fashion. The amount of photos I see of people with their new Rega 1s and 2s sitting on amplifiers with speakers jammed into corners demonstrates it is nothing about "better" sound. Most of these people would do a lot better streaming or buying a cheap CD player. My record collection grew because  thats all there was. I transferred them onto cassette so I could play in my car. When CDs were introduced I was stoked. I had long been annoyed by clicks and pops and damage to records, even when bought brand new. I had a Rega 2 with a Lin LVV arm. Very modest set up but the first Marantz CD player I bought eliminated all of the annoying things the records had. Back then records were around $10 - $15 if I remember correctly and CDs were twice that or more. When CD "took over" I was buying second hand records for $1 or $2 from friends who owned a second hand record shop. Its extremely ironic that I am now buying CDs for $10 - $20 and new records are outrageously priced. I have only bought two new records since this latest fad and a handful of second hand ones. Where 20 years back I was taking advantage of one fad I am now taking advantage of another and buying up big on CDs. I couldn't be more happy that CD is "dead". ?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, metal beat said:

One may say if you had a decent turntable and well looked after records,  buying into then more expensive cd's in the 80's was driven by fashion and had nothing to do with sound quality :D

The thing is a "decent" vinyl replay system was and still is more expensive that a comparable CD player. I did my best to look after my records to the extent I often played the cassette recordings instead of the records to preserve them. I'm not sure for what. That said I have records I bought 40 years ago that are in excellent condition. All of my CDs are in excellent condition. 

CDs were certainly a "fashion" in the day but for me at least they produced the best sound I could afford. My vinyl system now , while still modest, is easily equaled by my CD player which costs around 2/3rds of the price. And I get dirt cheap flawless media! ?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, metal beat said:

One may say if you had a decent turntable and well looked after records,  buying into then more expensive cd's in the 80's was driven by fashion and had nothing to do with sound quality :D

I was just wondering where 'a decent turntable' begins ? For some it may be a Rega Planar 1 at around $500 for others it something like a VPI Prime at around $7500, or anywhere up to $200,000+ .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love_music said:

I was just wondering where 'a decent turntable' begins ? For some it may be a Rega Planar 1 at around $500 for others it something like a VPI Prime at around $7500, or anywhere up to $200,000+ .

A Rega 1 is a decent turntable as are the comparable Project turntables.     

There is a reason why so many mid range Japanese DD players command high prices today and hold their value - they sound great and many feel better sounding than any comparable CD player.  Trouble is in the 70's and early 80's, they were actually too revealing of bright ss systems many owned.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, crisis said:

The thing is a "decent" vinyl replay system was and still is more expensive that a comparable CD player. I did my best to look after my records to the extent I often played the cassette recordings instead of the records to preserve them. I'm not sure for what. That said I have records I bought 40 years ago that are in excellent condition. All of my CDs are in excellent condition. 

CDs were certainly a "fashion" in the day but for me at least they produced the best sound I could afford. My vinyl system now , while still modest, is easily equaled by my CD player which costs around 2/3rds of the price. And I get dirt cheap flawless media! ?

In your opinion.  many will disagree.       

Edited by metal beat

13 hours ago, needlerunner said:

As long as cassette's don't overtake CD sales?

I bought a coupla cassettes the other day to see how the ol' Naka 682ZX sounds on the big rig. A little surprised actually but still fell well short of my digital replay.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, metal beat said:

A Rega 1 is a decent turntable as are the comparable Project turntables.     

But it doesn't end there. You still need the phono stage which can be a couple of hundred up to infinity. My old Rega was no match for my current CD player in the areas of transparency and detail however my SRM is. At a price premium.

9 minutes ago, metal beat said:

In your opinion.  many will disagree.       

Opinion is part of it but detail resolution and background noise are not so subjective. And on a dollar for dollar basis CD players are quieter as well as not subjected to flawed software.

• Love 1

Guest rondine

Well I've set up Rega 1 and cheap Projects and they are ordinary. In direct comparison with my reference for an ordinary tt (SL1200) they are trounced.

Can't really imagine why you would use these for anything other than playing a few records you were given or unavailable on digital.

ron

42 minutes ago, rondine said:

Well I've set up Rega 1 and cheap Projects and they are ordinary. In direct comparison with my reference for an ordinary tt (SL1200) they are trounced.

Can't really imagine why you would use these for anything other than playing a few records you were given or unavailable on digital.

ron

agree, which is why 35 year old jap dd's are a better bet.

Rega 1 and alike are better than anything sold at jb, harvey Norman etc

Edited by metal beat

1 hour ago, joz said:

I bought a coupla cassettes the other day to see how the ol' Naka 682ZX sounds on the big rig. A little surprised actually but still fell well short of my digital replay.

Hmmm disappointing, I used to record my vinyl onto a BIC T3 cassette deck at 3 &3/4 (double speed) and would switch from my TT to T3 running simultaneously. 

Most times people couldn't pick the diff!

Ask @Gee Emm