Sign in to follow this  
Powerglide

Planner 3 vibration

Hi everyone, 

I have an older 12v planner 3 which I purchased 2nd hand from another member. From day one there was a spasmodic vibration buzz that would occur on 45rpm maybe one in four uses. It didn't bother me too much as I have two TT's set up and would just use the other DD deck for 45 as it was easier to set anyway. 

Recently the buzz has begin on 33rpm, and is now constant. It will sometimes stop if I give the belt or drive pully a bit of a tweak. 

Any slight resistance (carbon brush) applied to the platter while spinning will holt the buzz but as soon as speed has returned to 33 zzzzzz 

I'm a lid down guy while listening and the buzz is not audible from 2 feet, I can't here any transfer to the speakers but it must be adding something? 

Anyone have any ideas or have had this issue on their planner? I don't think it's the sub platter, I've popped the spindle and re inserted. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Al 

Sounds like the motor maybe? I dont have much knowledge about the older ones but ive got a rp3.

Id guess the only thing that could buzz would be the motor? The upgrade kits seem to be around $280 so may not be worth it?

I have a Rega Planar 2, with the same motor and have never had any problems with spasmodic vibration buzz .

Mine has a new bearing and subplatter.

I did have a problem with the motor running erratically and I solved this issue with a new motor capacitor.

Cheap so could be worth a try. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rega-Planar-Motor-Repair-Capacitor-For-Earlier-220V-240V-Models-0-22uF-220nF/152563390608?epid=19009184641&hash=item23857c9890:g:CA8AAOSwe25bGBJg&frcectupt=true

This is mine

518499287_rega1.thumb.JPG.7a72fc39981c36184f60f174d6cbe9cb.JPG

8 hours ago, Andrews_melb said:

Id guess the only thing that could buzz would be the motor

Thanks for your input.

my evaluation is that it's not the motor, the buzz is a vibration and stops when the belt is disengaged 

47 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

I did have a problem with the motor running erratically and I solved this issue with a new motor capacitor.

Hi Robin, as above evaluation, the motor is dead quite and holds perfect speed! My thoughts lean to after the motor, pulley/belt/sub platter/ spindle as once the belt is removed buzzing stops. 

Fairly big chance im wrong here but could it be due to torque then? Motor runs fine with no load as you said, then once it has to do some work it struggles?

i cant see how any non electronic items would buzz. Maybe a rattle or wobble but not buzz