Dad I want music at my Party

We're having a party for our, about to be, 9-year old son at a local community hall. He's asked to be able to play music which, in this context, means streaming a Tidal playlist from my iPhone. I guess if I was super Dad then I'm set-up the Gale speakers in the hall but there's a fair few other priorities and this carries an inherent risk of lots of kids running around etc. So, basically, I'm after options that will work for the party and, ultimately, be able to re-used in other settings whether these be when we're on the move or in his bedroom. Suggestions?

our daughter is turning 8 soon, similar situation. 

depending on how big or portable you'd like it I am looking at one of those bluetooth capable speaker set ups that has the lights, microphone etc (kinda disco/karaoke like and has batter capablilty). 

not necessarily this exact one but like this https://lenoxx.com.au/product/led-stage-lights-bluetooth-speaker/ which i can then leave in the shed or garage and use in better weather outside over summer etc and not worry about it being a little beat up.

if she wants a good little speaker for her room i'll get her a small bluetooth speaker and she stream Tidal from her tablet to it as this might be a bit "ugly" in her room

A couple of Sonus Play 5’s if budget allows. Down the track grab a Rel T5 here on SNA which will make for a good little system for the rumpus and future parties, and your son’s teenage ‘gatherings’!

• Like 1

The LD Dave systems are also well worth looking at - separate sub and small satellite PA speakers, with the amp/mixer built into the Sub. They can integrate quite well into a domestic/bedroom environment if required - the satellites are less obtrusive than your average PA-style speakers.

https://djcity.com.au/product/ld-systems-lddave8roadie-8-inch-split-pa-system/

https://djcity.com.au/product/ld-systems-lddave8xs-8-inch-split-system/

Possibly a tad overkill though! 

• Like 1

My HK Play Bluetooth speaker always surprises me how it can fill a large room with music. So my point being don't discount some of the larger BT speakers. 9YO kids won't be too fussed with sound quality.

"Sound quality

If you’re going to buy the Harman Kardon Go + Play for anything, however, buy it for its sound quality and sheer musicality, because it really is exceptional. Beneath its cloth-covered curved grilles reside four drivers: two 90mm woofers and two 20mm tweeters delivering a frequency response of 50Hz to 20kHz.

Each driver is powered by a 25W amp for a total power output of 100W, and the sheer drive this setup provides is simply stunning. This is a speaker that will have no trouble at all rocking out at a small garden party, and its smooth, powerful bass, rich mids and crisp treble ensure it’s as at home with the driving pacy bass of Trentemoller’s "Moan" as it is with the atmospheric crescendos of Mozart’s "Requiem" and Pat Metheny’s soft jazz pluckings on "Map of the World"."

• Like 1

I would follow the  @Rockford route, the Harman Kardon Go + is exceptional value and sounds terrific.

A fellow SNA'R and work colleague  has the JBL Boombox, a direct rival to the HK, brings it in to work and

easily fills a 10mtr x 8mtr room with clarity and deep bass albeit a little boomy on some tracks.

Another great feature of the JBL is that it's waterproof, so no dramas at the beach.

Both these can be had around $400-$450.  

• Like 1

On 07/09/2019 at 7:48 AM, zydeco said:

Suggestions?

Unity horns  :hyper:;)

Hire (or buy) something like this (sans microhones) https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1421747-REG/anchor_audio_lib_bp2_hh_liberty_basic_package_2.html ... and set it up in the corner.   If it's a big hall, get  a larger one  (don't mess with multiple speakers IMO).

Battery

Wireless

Will have some inbuilt EQ

You can get ones with built in CD players also, if you want to figure out a "mixtape" to stop the "ADHD" 9 year olds from skipping songs every 7 seconds and arguing over what's next.

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Like 1

I'd second 2 x Sonos 5's. These really do sound good, not hifi but room filling and very listenable. They have that ability to play loud whilst people around can still hold a quslity conversation.
You are welcome to borrow my single 5 if you are anywhere near 2222.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use my old guitar combo with a stereo 3.5mm to mono 6.5mm adapter cable on occasions like that.

It was an old 60W Dean with a 12" driver & piezo horn.

Portable CD or MP3 player or phone as source, plug a mic into the low-Z input for the announcements/speeches, use the 4-band EQ to adjust for the room and away we went.

Dean_Combo5939a.jpg

On 07/09/2019 at 7:48 AM, zydeco said:

We're having a party for our, about to be, 9-year old son at a local community hall. He's asked to be able to play music which, in this context, means streaming a Tidal playlist from my iPhone. I guess if I was super Dad then I'm set-up the Gale speakers in the hall but there's a fair few other priorities and this carries an inherent risk of lots of kids running around etc. So, basically, I'm after options that will work for the party and, ultimately, be able to re-used in other settings whether these be when we're on the move or in his bedroom. Suggestions?

Just hire something for night ? Definitely do not use own stereo :D

if determined to buy, Jbl make cheapo party sound makers huge things and very affordable 

I had the same request from my daughter several years in a row. I solved it by buying a cheap pair of speakers and an 80 watt per channel Yamaha amp fom Gumtree. I augmented it with the sub we have in our dining room. The music was fed in from a phone (plugged into the mains to keep it alive) via a TRS cable from phone headphone socket to a TRS To RCA pair adapter (Jaycar). All up it cost me about $200 or so, and the speakers are now doing duty mounted on the garage wall. The Yamaha amp had a phono stage, and it has made its way into her bedroom vinyl playing system, so money spent wasn't wasted. Another suggestion - look at Cash Converters and Gumtree for cheap smoke and lasers to make it really special.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions! I managed the day with a simple chain involving iPhone / Tidal using Bluetooth to a Bluetooth / RCA converter to some borrowed, active, Acoustic Energy computer speakers. This worked like a dream with the kids have a great time dancing at the end of the party and playing statues. One consequence is that, with a small house, I've had to pack up my stereo set-up for a while to make room for the building of various Lego & models that said off-spring received as gifts. That said, it's been super fun to do together and might be the impetus to get set-up in our main kitchen - lounge room. 

• Like 2