Onkyo HDMI T-Board issue

Hi,

I have a 2012 Onkyo TX-NR616AE which recently developed a T-Board / HDMI issue.  Anyone has any ideas on resolving this?  Amber Technologies wouldn't replace it as it is out of the recall period, instead they are trying to sell me a new one.   A $700 item like this should last a lot longer.   

i know its beyond their repair cut off date BUT.. i would take a few minutes to contact consumer affairs regarding the "out of extended hdmi warranty time"

i reckon you can argue the item was sold faulty, KNOWINGLY. just seems they will struggle under aust consumer law and aust contract law (full disclosure ) to justify that.

Edited by hopefullguy

Yup, I have done the following

- Contacted and reasoned with Amber Technologies (they offered to sell me a refurbished unit at a 'discounted price'.  I wouldn't even consider this offer)

- Contacted the ACCC.  They said to contact Consumer Affairs

- Contacted Consumer Affairs in WA.  They tried to mediate but Amber wouldn't budge, then suggested I go to the magistrates court.

- Contacted Choice magazine.  They suggested I go to the magistrates court.

- Tried contacting Onkyo on Facebook and Twitter.  They did not respond (not surprised)

hmm seems you have done a lot already.. dont know how it works in WA but here it would be a small claims matter costing about $130. i guess it comes down to your own motivation to pursue things.

getting a win in small claims can be easier than people think as you just need to present better than the other guy, who in this case wont be there. then the trouble is getting any order (if you win) actually followed thru.

all annoying.. if the retailer/ambertech were in my city i would just do it out of principle but i guess all you can do is trash onkyo/ambertech whenever you get the chance and cost them more than they have cost you.. :-)

Here in WA it's the Magistrates court and would cost $142.  I have been advised that it's a 50/50 as it is out of warranty.  We would obviously expect items like this to last longer, but apparently 7 years may be the lifespan.  

I don't think Onkyo / Amber Tech need me to trash them any more - their brand name is already in the toilet these days with or without me!  

Edited by AR1
Correct spelling
  • Like 1