New Schiit turntable released OS

34 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Meanwhile, I would be more interested in their tonearm. Is it easy to install the tonearm on other turntables?

The 5 pin flat connector seems proprietary so not sure if it can be easily installed onto other turntables. 

Looks like the tone arm will only work in there TT - the arm listed for sale on the web is just the arm wand and balance weights and looking at the pictured the arm uni pivot in built into the actual TT structure.

21 hours ago, rantan said:

?:lol:

Of course you do and @buddyev also.

that looks like a nicely made TT and and quite a bargain. Alas, having failed to get elderly friends to hand over their extensive and abandoned record collections to me I'm out of the vinyl game.

5 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Instead of trying to figure out how to use it here in AU, my humble suggestion is to wait. It will be a matter of time they will offer motor that suits for EU and AU since they always offer their products with power option to choose 115/230v with AU, EU, UK, USA plugs. 

The product just released yesterday and still under production (5~7 days to have them in stock). 

Schiit have no ETA yet.

" I'm very sorry but we do not have an availability date yet for the Sol in 230V.  I'm sorry I am unable to assist with the question. "

It seems 230V 50Hz may not be on the horizon yet.

I can wait.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gee Emm said:

Schiit have no ETA yet.

" I'm very sorry but we do not have an availability date yet for the Sol in 230V.  I'm sorry I am unable to assist with the question. "

It seems 230V 50Hz may not be on the horizon yet.

I can wait.

Does that mean that "Sol" means Schiit Outa Luck? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/09/2019 at 9:02 AM, andyr said:

Mate - think a bit deeper!  :lol:  You have to put up with what the electricity companies deliver to you.  In Oz this is 50Hz - in the US, it is 60Hz!

(Hz - Hertz - is "cycles per second".  AC stands for "alternating current" - iow, our mains supply is a sine wave.  Please don't ask me what a 'sine wave' is!  :lol: )

Andy

Yeah fair enough...but why choose 50hz here and not 60hz?!?

1 hour ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Yeah fair enough...but why choose 50hz here and not 60hz?!?

Because of mother England!  :lol:

(We used to be a colony, remember, and England (and Europe) chose 50Hz.  The Yanquis - because, well, they are Yanquis - decided on a. 110v instead of 240v and b. 60Hz instead of 50Hz.)

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, andyr said:

Because of mother England!  :lol:

(We used to be a colony, remember, and England (and Europe) chose 50Hz.  The Yanquis - because, well, they are Yanquis - decided on a. 110v instead of 240v and b. 60Hz instead of 50Hz.)

Andy

Just out of curiosity, can it be converted to 110v with 50Hz by using separate step-down transformer or Power conditioner such as PS Audio PowerPlant? I guess that some power conditioner/generator can alter the output power and frequencies?

This would be uneconomical solution since it can be quite expensive but just want to check if it is even possible. :) 

Edited by Spider27

45 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Just out of curiosity, can it be converted to 110v with 50Hz by using separate step-down transformer or Power conditioner such as PS Audio PowerPlant? I guess that some power conditioner/generator can alter the output power and frequencies?

This would be uneconomical solution since it can be quite expensive but just want to check if it is even possible. :) 

Whilst it is theoretically possible to have a device that is fed 240v / 50Hz and outputs 110v / 60Hz (via a battery bank in the middle), I suggest the number of potential customers in Oz/Europe for such a device ... means that no-one has ever built it, S!  :lol:

Andy

• Like 1

Just now, andyr said:

Whilst it is theoretically possible to have a device that is fed 240v / 50Hz and outputs 110v / 60Hz (via a battery bank in the middle), I suggest the number of potential customers in Oz/Europe for such a device ... means that no-one has ever built it, S!  :lol:

Andy

Yes, wanted to check if it is even possible and how viable in reality term.  I rather wait for Schiit provide product that suits AU instead of contemplating the possibility of using the item that is not designed for the market.

Correct me if I am wrong. Almost all of readers here who are interested in SOL already have at least one turntable so it is a thing that we WANT not necessarily a thing that we NEED.  :)   

3 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Yep that can be done, but the units that do it well are expensive 

• Like 1

I just remembered a speed box that willmatch this. I totally forgot about project speed box ds it has a DC input from a plug pack and the speed box outputs 16v 50hz. Its not cheap but the same time it would be an upgrade over the standard 16v stepdown the sol comes with

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Spider27 said:

It's possible.   I have three supplies/motor controllers here that can do  it.

2 hours ago, acg said:

It's possible.   I have three supplies/motor controllers here that can do  it.

So your supplies output a 60Hz sine wave, acg?  (Spider got the Hz wrong - this is a US (60Hz) TT we're talking about.)

Of course, it may be using a DC motor - but, somehow, at that price ... I don't think so.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

yea, just read some of the feedback of the new Schiit SOL turntable. Hoffman forum is not happy.

problems include

very hard to set up - so not for beginners - that may be some of the issues.

wobbly platter

belt slips up and down

headshell is too small for most cartridges as there is no room at the back for adequate adjustment. from the pictures it looks like it has been designed incorrectly as the slots for the cartridge screws are not parallel with the headshell angle for the cartridge - I could be wrong as it could be linked to it being a unipivot

50 / 60 hz speed controller issues

anti skating does not work

list goes on.

hmmm.  At least Schiit have admitted they have screwed up and even offering buyers $300 back from the $799 price while they can wait til the issues are fixed - that is a brand new functional tonearm sent out gratis

- or full refunds,

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-sol-turntable-review-episodic.8291/

sol%20main%201920.jpg

sol%20detail%201%201920.jpg

Edited by metal beat

yea, just read some of the feedback of the new Schiit SOL turntable. Hoffman forum is not happy.

problems include
very hard to set up - so not for beginners - that may be some of the issues.
wobbly platter
belt slips up and down
headshell is too small for most cartridges as there is no room at the back for adequate adjustment. from the pictures it looks like it has been designed incorrectly as the slots for the cartridge screws are not parallel with the headshell angle for the cartridge - I could be wrong as it could be linked to it being a unipivot
50 / 60 hz speed controller issues
anti skating does not work
list goes on.

hmmm.  At least Schiit have admitted they have screwed up and even offering buyers $300 back from the $799 price while they can wait til the issues are fixed - that is a brand new functional tonearm sent out gratis
- or full refunds,

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-sol-turntable-review-episodic.8291/

sol%2520main%25201920.jpg&key=e4be70b825bc8c32cbe92dd9407d31aa6f7be7eb3cc8bfb437b930aa5d3b6587

sol%2520detail%25201%25201920.jpg&key=420e721929e59516c44c165f918d38d8efd003bf6f8b8e403609a9a3e647aa6c

Not too surprised by the issues raised. Worried I’d look like an a** saying it before, but from the first video footage I saw the build made me think high school manual arts project..

I have read the thread mentioned and I think that they dealt with issue gracefully. Any company can make a mistake especially when they make something very different to their existing product line. The thing is how they deal with the issue. Some company try to get away with it but the other companies face it and admit the issues and deal with them.

Schiit offered 2 options. One is full refund including return shipping. The other option is offering 40~50% refund and will also offer the update/solution to those who accept 2nd option. I found that it is very good deal.. If I was in that situ, I would take 2nd option in a heartbeat and receive update/solution once they dealt with those issues.

• Like 2