New Schiit turntable released OS

G'day all

I just read over on https://darko.audio/ about Schiit's new turntable 'SOL'.

https://darko.audio/2019/09/schiits-first-turntable-sol-drops-for-799/

It has a lot of desirable features, & looks like a turntable I would like to own.

• Cast chassis
  • Outboard motor
  • Big inverted bearing
  • Uni pivot arm

I contacted Addicted to Audio, but they have no local-release info at all ATM.

Hopefully it gets released here in the not too distant future ie 3-6 months.

Does anyone else have any insights re local release?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gee Emm said:

It has a lot of desirable features, & looks like a turntable I would like to own.

Count me in also. If the press release is even close to actuality, it will be a sensation.

I really, truly, don't need another TT but ..................................................

• Like 2

Just watched the instruction video and it has a lot of fine adjustment can be made such as spindle height adjustment which is something new.

The tonearm cable connection is quite unique though. 5 pin flat connector instead of 5 pin din. 

This interests me too. I saw Mike Moffat of Schiit waxing lyrical about his design in John Darko's interview with him (Darko YT channel). Of course, as the designer he's going to do that, however it fits with Schiit's approach to shake up the market.

Edited by lenticularis

6 hours ago, Lil Caesar said:

FAQ on their website states that the current motor is 60hz only for 115 volt markets.  We’ll see a 50hz version for 230 volts in the near future.

May i ask a dumb question?  what is the difference between 60Hz and 50Hz? Is 60Hz not useable in Europe or Australia? 

Edited by Spider27
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spider27 said:

May i ask a dumb question?  what is the difference between 60Hz and 50Hz? Is 60Hz not useable in Europe or Australia? 

It depends.  :)  And it's not just the difference in AC frequency - it's also the mains voltage!  If you plug a component that's expecting 110/115v AC into Australia's 230/240v ... you will let out the 'magic smoke'.  :(

But if the component has a switch on the back - that you can set for either 110/115v or 230/240v - then you are able to use it in Oz.  But a transformer built to run with 60Hz AC mains will run hot when it's fed 50Hz mains in Oz.  In a power amp - which draws amps of current from the mains (ie. through the power transformer) ... this may be a problem.  For a source device - or a TT - which only draws a small mains current ... it will probably not be an issue.

But in the case of a TT:

• if the power supply for the motor is simple ... it will feed the mains to the motor (probably reducing the voltage, along the way).  But a motor that spins at, say, 250rpm when fed with 60Hz - will run at 208.33rpm when fed with 50Hz (250 * 50 / 60).  So a different motor is needed for Oz. 
  • but if the power supply for the motor is more sophisticated - it will generate its own AC sine wave to send to the motor.  In which case, the mains frequency coming into the PS doesn't affect the motor frequency output by the PS.

Andy

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

It depends.  :)  And it's not just the difference in AC frequency - it's also the mains voltage!  If you plug a component that's expecting 110/115v AC into Australia's 230/240v ... you will let out the 'magic smoke'.  :(

But if the component has a switch on the back - that you can set for either 110/115v or 230/240v - then you are able to use it in Oz.  But a transformer built to run with 60Hz AC mains will run hot when it's fed 50Hz mains in Oz.  In a power amp - which draws amps of current from the mains (ie. through the power transformer) ... this may be a problem.  For a source device - or a TT - which only draws a small mains current ... it will probably not be an issue.

But in the case of a TT:

• if the power supply for the motor is simple ... it will feed the mains to the motor (probably reducing the voltage, along the way).  But a motor that spins at, say, 250rpm when fed with 60Hz - will run at 208.33rpm when fed with 50Hz (250 * 50 / 60).  So a different motor is needed for Oz. 
  • but if the power supply for the motor is more sophisticated - it will generate its own AC sine wave to send to the motor.  In which case, the mains frequency coming into the PS doesn't affect the motor frequency output by the PS.

Andy

That was one hell of thorough explanation. Thank you so much, Andy.

19 hours ago, Lil Caesar said:

FAQ on their website states that the current motor is 60hz only for 115 volt markets.  We’ll see a 50hz version for 230 volts in the near future.

It works on a 16VAC from a wall-wart which can be easily replaced by a Jaycar equivalent 

https://www.jaycar.com.au/16v-ac-1-25-amp-alarm-power-supply/p/MP3021

Or, alternately someone more DIY-versed can just get a decent larger trafo with 16V secondaries and box it up properly and safely. 

Needless to say, you would have to modify the belt pulley to account for the 20% loss of motor speed.   

Edited by Decky

11 hours ago, andyr said:

But in the case of a TT:

Andy

I'm still lost with the 50/60 Hz...what is a Hz?!? Why choose 60?!? why not 100hz??! why not 10Hz!?! Is there an optimum number for operation?!?

Can you have high HZ on 100V mains?!? Low Hz on 240V mains?!?

23 minutes ago, Decky said:

It works on a 16VAC from a wall-wart which can be easily replaced by a Jaycar equivalent 

Needless to say, you would have to modify the belt pulley to account for the 20% loss of motor speed.   

And how, exactly, do you suggest this can be done?

In the first place - you have to be able to remove the pulley.  If it's anything like a Linn pulley - you will have great difficulty ... and will probably destroy the motor in the process!  :no:

In the second place - you will have to get a pulley machined which is exactly the correct diameter, to compensate for the slower speed of the motor at 50Hz.  (I'm making the assumption - which I suspect is accurate - that the TT motor controller doesn't have speed adjustment capability.)

Andy

7 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

I'm still lost with the 50/60 Hz...what is a Hz?!? Why choose 60?!? why not 100hz??! why not 10Hz!?! Is there an optimum number for operation?!?

Can you have high HZ on 100V mains?!? Low Hz on 240V mains?!?

Mate - think a bit deeper!  :lol:  You have to put up with what the electricity companies deliver to you.  In Oz this is 50Hz - in the US, it is 60Hz!

(Hz - Hertz - is "cycles per second".  AC stands for "alternating current" - iow, our mains supply is a sine wave.  Please don't ask me what a 'sine wave' is!  :lol: )

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gee Emm said:

Can you get a wall wart power supply that is 230V 50Hz in, but switchable to 16VAC 60Hz out?

Serious question.

Simple answer - NO!  :lol:

(As the great man said ... "Life wasn't meant to be easy"!)

Andy

• Like 2

Instead of trying to figure out how to use it here in AU, my humble suggestion is to wait. It will be a matter of time they will offer motor that suits for EU and AU since they always offer their products with power option to choose 115/230v with AU, EU, UK, USA plugs. 

The product just released yesterday and still under production (5~7 days to have them in stock). 

• Like 1