Pre-amp options - pros and cons

I’m after buying advice for a preamp. Not necessarily specific models, but about pros and cons of them having certain features.

My only minimum requirements is that they have a HT Bypass as I use it in a single location, trigger out also to turn on the amplifier, and be placed in an enclosed shelf (it’s what I have to work with...)

A list of HT bypass I found http:// http://www.audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/426-amplifiers-with-processor-input

Options to consider:

- purely analogue preamp

- preamp with built in dac

- digital preamp with dsp e.g. Anthem STR

- tubes or solid state e.g. Elektra Pnyx, Musical Fidelity M8

My speakers are Martin Logan 60XT and a Paradigm Sub-12. I’m primarily a Roon user and have a Gieseler Gross DAC. Still some CD/SACD playing. Looking into vinyl at some stage.

I’m after something built to last, and so I’m a little wary of technology options which are changing rapidly e.g new dac chips, streaming limitations etc.

In contrast (and opposition?) it would be good to reduce the box/device count.

Apologies in advance if my question is too broad.

PS Audio have a couple of options you may want to consider re your needs, depending on your budget.

I recently went through something of a rationalisation process, wanting sound quality, ergonomics and ease of use for an integrated HT and stereo system. My BHK preamp provides me with all of those, and is a current model. Obviously there are other parts to the equation you need to juggle, especially your power amp.

I believe PSA also make a digital preamp / DCA that is supposed to be quite good.

Budget may help.

but I am extremely happy with the Phynx with phono, with toobs and HT bypass but no DAC 

But depending on the rest of your system may be a bit dark.

My personal preference would be for a stand-alone preamp with no other function.  Equipment with combined functions (eg: preamp and DAC) is always tempting, but, in the future, should you want to change things (for example,  you hear a DAC you prefer to the one in your preamp) you will be stuck with something you won't be using.  I always go for flexibility myself.

Again, my personal preference is for a valve preamp driving a SS power amp, with the caveat that many valve preamps now sound much the same as SS preamps and don't have that certain quality that people used to associate with them. 

In the end it really comes down to hearing something you like and fits in with the rest of your system.

• Like 1

My personal preference would be for a stand-alone preamp with no other function.  Equipment with combined functions (eg: preamp and DAC) is always tempting, but, in the future, should you want to change things (for example,  you hear a DAC you prefer to the one in your preamp) you will be stuck with something you won't be using.  I always go for flexibility myself.

Again, my personal preference is for a valve preamp driving a SS power amp, with the caveat that many valve preamps now sound much the same as SS preamps and don't have that certain quality that people used to associate with them. 

In the end it really comes down to hearing something you like and fits in with the rest of your system.

Thanks.

I know there are modular solutions, like Vinnie Rossi’s products, which help to ameliorate this, but it is outside my budget.

But I think I’m leaning to your thinking because I don’t want to have or pay for unused components.

I forgot to mention - I actually have a valve preamp which I am told essentially has a digital output.  It is a MicroZOTL 2.  It doesn't have HT bypass but wonder whether that could be included to order.

It may be my imagination, but I have the feeling that HT bypass is not as common as it once was.  Perhaps someone could put me right on that.

Are you clear in your own mind what you want?

Specifically, what do you hope to achieve with a preamp? And what issue are you trying to solve?  A preamp adds yet another component.  Or is push towards simplification getting stronger?

I went down the path of getting a detailed setup and used a preamp to add warmth without sacrificing detail. As you know, I now have a highly simplified system.  Looking back, I spent far too much effort, time and money chasing the next improvement to the next component and not enough time listening to the music. My analogue tube preamp was my last major upgrade before I went the simple route but it was not the impetus for change.  The chain with the preamp was relatively simple but feeding it was extremely complex.  

I hope that my journey will prompt you to look at how a preamp can fit into your music chain or whether it is time to simplify?

The enclosed shelf probably limits your options to solid state amps as I suspect most tube amps would cook themselves.   Some SS amps (especially the more expensive ones) can also get hot so keep that in mind.  

Pure analoge gets gets my vote although a digital amp with good dsp could be worth it depending on your room e.g. Deqx

Edited by Steam

9 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Budget - probably $4k

A Phynx with phono recently sold here for a bit under $3k, bargain.

But new would be closer to $5k?

Pity you're not local I could bring it over if you were.

11 hours ago, joz said:

A Phynx with phono recently sold here for a bit under $3k, bargain.

But new would be closer to $5k?

Pity you're not local I could bring it over if you were.

Pnyx retail seems to be $3,950 across multiple sellers. Which kinda set my budget. This is excluding phono.

Edited by Raffinator
Correction

1 hour ago, Raffinator said:

Pnyx retail seems to be $3,950 across multiple sellers. Which kinda set my budget. This is excluding phono.

Yea I think the phono adds about $1k, so about right.

• 3 months later...
On 05/09/2019 at 12:08 AM, Snoopy8 said:

Are you clear in your own mind what you want?

Specifically, what do you hope to achieve with a preamp? And what issue are you trying to solve?  A preamp adds yet another component.  Or is push towards simplification getting stronger?

I went down the path of getting a detailed setup and used a preamp to add warmth without sacrificing detail. As you know, I now have a highly simplified system.  Looking back, I spent far too much effort, time and money chasing the next improvement to the next component and not enough time listening to the music. My analogue tube preamp was my last major upgrade before I went the simple route but it was not the impetus for change.  The chain with the preamp was relatively simple but feeding it was extremely complex.  

I hope that my journey will prompt you to look at how a preamp can fit into your music chain or whether it is time to simplify?

Hi Snoopy8,

can you please elaborate a little bit more on the system you had and what you have now and why the change. I’m thinking of buying a valve pre and really not to sure what I’m doing? 

many thanks,

Billy. 

17 minutes ago, vassp1503562426 said:

Hi Snoopy8,

can you please elaborate a little bit more on the system you had and what you have now and why the change. I’m thinking of buying a valve pre and really not to sure what I’m doing? 

many thanks,

Billy. 

Hello Billy, my story here... 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, vassp1503562426 said:

very interesting :) . What’s crazy is that I was looking at getting a premaluna pre amp today. But so confused at the moment. 

There is no one correct answer. What I did was radical and not many people are ready to do that.  You have to know what you want and where you are in your music journey. Many here still enjoy chasing the next upgrade.  

It is almost a year now and I have no regrets. Music has improved even more with the addition of the EtherREGEN. Delighted that I am engaged in the music more than ever...