Sign in to follow this  
Souwalker

Cable management suggestions

What do you do for cable management? I’ve got network cables, rca, power, speakers, tv antenna and recently IQ4 satellite cables. Not s big fan of cable ties though.

Many thanks

Guest Muon N'

Make some wooden holders, separate ones for signal and others for power.

Basically strips of wood with slotted holes for each cable, maybe 4 to 6...or whatever you need on each strip, and work out some way to fix them in the appropriate places.

I'd draw a diagram but feeling lazy.

I have less cables than 99.99% of folk so have no example handy.

Edited by Muon N'
typo

I have used this type of spiral wrapping in the past for an acceptable result. Power and signal in different bundles.

It is a pig of thing though if you are swapping equipment in and out often (which I do at times).

Would prefer something more like a cable tray - perhaps built into the rack / furniture. Still looking for something like that.

Untitled.png

Whatever method you choose, keep the power cables away from the cables which carry audio/video signals. 

Some ideas have been recently discussed here:

Thanks for the tip. Will keep power, RCAs separate and also the tv antenna cable and satellite cables together but separate from the others too.

What about power boards? I have 2 x 6 outlets. Can’t find one more then 8. I’ve seen in the US one with 12 I think . Won’t a big one to keep all power plugs in one board better then 2 or 3 for tidiness?

Thanks

Re: Powerboards.  With more sockets on one board you need to be careful that all the devices don't draw more power/current than the outlet/powerboard can handle.  Often not a problem, as you may not be using all the devices at once, and some hifi devices don't draw lots of power (eg. tuners). 

Go wireless 🤓

44 minutes ago, Decky said:

Go wireless 🤓

I had a wireless, but I got rid of it because it was AM reception only and I wanted to listen to FM.  😊

3 hours ago, Souwalker said:

Thanks for the tip. Will keep power, RCAs separate and also the tv antenna cable and satellite cables together but separate from the others too.

What about power boards? I have 2 x 6 outlets. Can’t find one more then 8. I’ve seen in the US one with 12 I think . Won’t a big one to keep all power plugs in one board better then 2 or 3 for tidiness?

Thanks

Run a separate circuit from the DB 30 amp or so. Put good quality GPO's on the wall. Power boards crap on the HiFi end result.

4 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

... Put good quality GPO's on the wall...

I've never paid attention to the GPO's on the wall before, I thought they were all the same quality (eg. the Clipsal and HPM offerings and the like are all that I thought were available in Aust.).   Can you give examples of the quality GPO's you feel make an difference in an audio system? 

On 04/09/2019 at 12:38 PM, audiofeline said:

I've never paid attention to the GPO's on the wall before, I thought they were all the same quality (eg. the Clipsal and HPM offerings and the like are all that I thought were available in Aust.).   Can you give examples of the quality GPO's you feel make an difference in an audio system? 

Yeah mate. Anything that a solid wall connection. Just Google them. Quality of the plug and socket is important. Check RS spares for example.