Sign in to follow this  
olly_main

Opinion on Akai SW-T110

Looking to buy my girlfriend a house warming present - she has tinny cheap bookshelf speakers at the moment.

Cant find much online about the Akai SWT110 floor standing speakers - would like to hear some thoughts.

I doubt there will be any reviews as these are very ancient vintage 70s 80s and insignificant cheap and low end speakers. If no replies here  best to try them out as their condition could be suspect as well.

Edited by Al.M

2 hours ago, olly_main said:

Looking to buy my girlfriend a house warming present - she has tinny cheap bookshelf speakers at the moment.

Cant find much online about the Akai SWT110 floor standing speakers - would like to hear some thoughts.

AI.M's advice is good.  Crossover caps will be suspect and the driver surrounds could be perished or brittle.

What's your budget?

56 minutes ago, surprisetech said:

AI.M's advice is good.  Crossover caps will be suspect and the driver surrounds could be perished or brittle.

What's your budget?

100 dollars in inner city Melbourne 

18 hours ago, olly_main said:

100 dollars in inner city Melbourne 

OK.  On that budget, checkout the AKAI's and if they've been looked after, sound good and all the drivers look OK, then you'll probably be get good value out of them.  The crossover caps can be dealt with later.

Are you specifically after bigger floorstanders?

If not, then you might do better getting a pair of larger bookshelf speakers. Many of them can deliver quite good bass these days if you can get a reputable brand.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clifton-hill/speakers/dali-speakers-concept-1-book-shelf-surround-speakers-pair/1227115013

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-1980s-Polk-Audio-stereo-bookshelf-speakers-5JR-36714/133157473877?hash=item1f00cdce55:g:peAAAOSwSk5dT7PZ 

I wouldnt touch the SWT110 as they were part of Akai's PRO S11 entry "Pro Lab" system of the early 80s. I used to own that system way back when. Very Cheap and Nasty. Definitely recommend aiming a bit higher.  

Edited by Ariki Padlie

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CMAN
      Item: Mirage MX 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System with Mirage MM-6 Powered Subwoofer (includes five palm-size speakers, a compact subwoofer cube and a step down transformer)
      Price: $400
      Item Condition: Used, in great working condition with no known faults. Fully operational and functions as intended. Good cosmetic condition. No cracks or holes. Barely any scratches/marks.
      Reason for selling: To upgrade
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info: Purchased brand new from a high end stereo retailer 

Product Descriptions & Specs: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-mvKwTyd9Z7d/p_653MX51B/Mirage-MX-5-1.html

Pictures:

• By anthony vinyl
      Item: bruce edgar 'show' horn speaker with altec 909 16A compression driver
      Price: 2000 ono
      Item Condition:  very good
      Reason for selling: want them out of the bedroom ie  space
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: very rare bruce edgar designed horn as detailed in sound practices magazine.  bruce Edgar was super famous horn designer - an aeronautical engineer who i think designed the tractix horns.  very open and spacious bass that gives a life like presentation - sound very wide and deep . HF driver is altec 909 16 which has adjustable attenuation . please note these are very large . bass cab is 1080H X 800W X 600D. the cabinets are in very good condition overall except for chip as shown and some minor blemishes. very solid and very heavy - excellent workmanship and build quality . HF driver and surround 300H X 600W X500D . for the article please read http://volvotreter.de/downloads/Edgar-Show-Horn.pdf or simply type in bruce Edgar show horn into your search engine

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Rup
      Best music for speaker placement and best speaker placement tutorial???

Having acquired a pair of Harbeth P3ESR speakers I'm having fun looking for the ultimate speaker placement. 

I have downloaded
      The Visual Sound the Sound Liaison DXD Music Sampler 
      as it was recommended to me as being a great speaker placement tool.
       (Using the coupon code “XFI2019” you can download the 352DXD for $16 or the 24/ 96 files for $8.)
      Especially the phase coherent One Microphone recordings on the sampler seems excellent for that purpose:                 

https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/536-sound-liaison-dxd-music-sampler 

On the net i.e.  youtube, there are a great number of tutorials in speaker placement. 
       Any of these you would especially recommend?
                                                                     https://www.harbeth.co.uk/speakers/userguide.php    

• By Audio_Friends

Item: pioneer S-D9000
      Price: 550$ Ono
      Item Condition:Mint in used 
      Reason for selling:Behalf to friends who import long time ago.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Size  133 H x29x33 Donations after sold 

Photos below 

• By Beeman1986
      Item: JBL Authentics L8
      Location: Sydney, Alexandria (or office at Greenwich on weekdays)
      Price: $500 (prefer pickup but happy to ship at buyers expense)
      Item Condition: Perfect used condition
      Reason for selling: No longer used
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Used as my office speaker before purchasing the Naim Mu-So i also have advertised. Has been sitting in storage for about a year finally gotten around to clearing it out. No issues at all with the unit and the sound is great for a smaller room or even as a sound bar. The amount of bass is also quite surprising for the size. Comes with all original accessories and original packaging.

More info on the speaker here: https://eu.jbl.com/AUTHENTIC+L8.html?

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.